Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The "What Laptop Should I Buy?" Guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmage
    Yeah this guide hasn't been updated in a looong time. Maybe I should get to work again
    that'll be awesome

Where does the AMD Turion 64 fit in? Im about to get a cheep laptop for school, cant afford more than 10K SEK (about 1300USD). What Im after is a machine with low weight and good battery life as I'll be hauling it back and forth to school every day. Something with a Pentium M might be good but a bit pricey.

I have been looking for a decent gaming notebook for almost 6-months. However, as was pointed out, I cannot find a single mfg that puts a decent nVidia graphics, and AMD chip together. I hope someday this gets remedied, otherwise I might have to go to the dark side, and buy a Pentium
    Help make America #1 in Broadband: www.broadband.gov

Take the survey/test (like a Census for Broadband): http://broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/

nothing worng with a pentium chip in a laptop.
    Great processor. runs cool. low power requirements. etc.
    Recommended.

check www.abs.com and their laptops. They make gaming laptops

guys I'm int opost production sound editing and little film editing. I wanted to get a laptop. Should I get a mac or pc. I heard so many oppinions about both.. I don't know what to do

As this thread was reactivated - has anyone seen any 40% off Dell Coupons for the iXPS2 laptop???

mumin - I'm not sure whether folks can help you with that here... Don't think that Macs use AMDs (this used to be the amdmb forums).

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Quote Originally Posted by mumin
    guys I'm int opost production sound editing and little film editing. I wanted to get a laptop. Should I get a mac or pc. I heard so many oppinions about both.. I don't know what to do
    It depends greatly on what you are familiar with as to what you should get. If you currently work, or have mainly worked with Windows in the past, I'd say stick with a windows notebook.

If, on the other hand you are like me, and familiar with both, it would depend on what software you prefer I'd guess. Also, as a notebook is often connected to "unfamiliar" ports (WiFi), Apples have an inherent protection in them, as most don't know them enough to hack, or write viri for them.

Take the survey/test (like a Census for Broadband): http://broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/

YES - Dell just realized a revised version of their XPS gen 2 Inspiron Laptap:
    XPS M170, now with a Geforce 7800 GT. I hope I can afford one in the next 5 months (when I'll hit the road).

GRIN

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Definitely deserves an update with the X2 and the new Core Duo laptops.

Instead of a Dell, check out Sager laptops (or any laptop made by Clevo).

Pctorque.com
    powernotebooks.com

I bought the Sager 5720-V:

~ US $2,600

17" WUXGA
    2.0GHz Dothan
    7800 GTX Mobile
    2 GB ram
    80 GB sata 5400rpm
    802.11b+g
    tv tuner
    etc.

A reall desktop replacement.

feandro is offline nix the electoral college

I would definitely like to see this thread updated with info on all the new processors and chipsets. Anyone with the know-how and the urge?

I'd like to see a comparison of non-intel/amd chips as well, if possible. I don't expect a lot in terms of performance from the VIA, for example, but it might prove to be a good option for those searching for an affordable travel laptop that doesn't need to run at top speed. Would be great to have all the info in one place, anyway. Thanks all for the great info!

that would be a great idea.
    Anyone want to run with that idea and do something with this thread please let one of the mods know

My son is off to Auburn University's school of business.....they recommend some pretty high-end (IMO) specs for his required laptop. After hours and hours of Google research, a 2.0GHz, 1Gig DDR Ram, DVD writer, XP Pro etc etc - Lenovo 3000 V100 is the only one that meets all the requirements out of the box.

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...86018425057762

Nothing at the brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, CompUSA etc) even comes close to meeting the specs.
    FWIW - The June issue of Consumer's Reports was no help at all [with their laptop reviews].

I would consider the IBM ThinkPad (since it's what I have and love - the T42 mostly due to it's unbelievable ruggedness) but the current ThinkPad [R60 IIRC] is a lot pricier than the Lenovo. Oh yeah, IBM comes with 3 year warranty - which is 3 times longer than the Lenovo. Hmmm.

Anywhooo, bottom line, best price I can find is about $1500. It wont do for any kind of gaming as there's no "standalone" video card with dedicated memory....sheesh.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409
    My son is off to Auburn University's school of business.....they recommend some pretty high-end (IMO) specs for his required laptop. After hours and hours of Google research, a 2.0GHz, 1Gig DDR Ram, DVD writer, XP Pro etc etc - Lenovo 3000 V100 is the only one that meets all the requirements out of the box.

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...86018425057762

Nothing at the brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, CompUSA etc) even comes close to meeting the specs.
    FWIW - The June issue of Consumer's Reports was no help at all [with their laptop reviews].

I would consider the IBM ThinkPad (since it's what I have and love - the T42 mostly due to it's unbelievable ruggedness) but the current ThinkPad [R60 IIRC] is a lot pricier than the Lenovo. Oh yeah, IBM comes with 3 year warranty - which is 3 times longer than the Lenovo. Hmmm.

Anywhooo, bottom line, best price I can find is about $1500. It wont do for any kind of gaming as there's no "standalone" video card with dedicated memory....sheesh.
    Nothing against the one you picked, but on my first try, with Dell, I was able to configure an E1705 to specs, or above, for $1530, plus dedicated video memory with a decent card, and a much bigger screen. Also, I have heard pretty good things about Dell's quality, no direct experiance though.

You might want to check it out:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

P.S., those are some pretty high end requirements, wonder what they are doing at this University?

Quote Originally Posted by sturm375
    Nothing against the one you picked, but on my first try, with Dell, I was able to configure an E1705 to specs, or above, for $1530, plus dedicated video memory with a decent card, and a much bigger screen. Also, I have heard pretty good things about Dell's quality, no direct experiance though.

You might want to check it out:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

P.S., those are some pretty high end requirements, wonder what they are doing at this University?
    Found a factory refurbed T43 IBM Thinkpad at an eBay store for $1250 with full three year IBM factory warranty . ThinkPads are lot more bullet proof than the Lenovo....and has dedicated video but not quite at spec 64MB video RAM but it is DDR so it should perform like 128MB.

Yeah, I kinda feel like somebody at that university spec'd out a Desktop system and not a lappy.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"