Windows XP Processor drivers????

I recently upgraded from a Duron processor to a newer Athlon XP processor. When I go into device manager it still says "AMD Duron" under processors. Should I be concerned? I'm worried that maybe something like the cache isn't fully recognized in the new processor. I tried uninstalling the driver from device manager and it just comes back the same.

I looked on the net for new drivers and could only come up with a slightly newer version, but it still installs as a Duron. I also found K7 drivers, but decided not to use those. The old driver version was 5.1.2600.00 the latest I could find were 5.1.2600.28.

Should I not be worried about this????

Btw, my board recognizes my processor as an Athlon XP 1400, (WCPUID reports the correct 2018Mhz), so it does see it as an Athlon XP (only Windows XP doesn't) and I have L1 and L2 cache enabled in the bios as always.
    Last edited by PsychoSword; 11-22-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Re: Windows XP Processor drivers????

Why not use the K7 drivers? XP's are all K7 chips... Are you overclocked, cuz 2ghz isn't a xp1400. Look in wcpuid, if it detects the full cache (256k i'd imagine) i wouldn't be too worried.
    ironclad.

I remember when I downloaded the Duron driver it mentioned XP processors as well while the K7 drivers did not. I didn't want to use the K7 driver because I figured it was for older chips like the Thunderbirds and stuff.

My processor is a 2100XP and it's overclocked. Yes the 64K L1 I-Cache, 64K L1 D-Cache and 256K L2 cache is detected by WCPUID.
    Last edited by PsychoSword; 11-23-2004 at 03:16 AM.

I went to windows Update the other day and it installed a K7 driver. However when I go into device manager>hardware and in the beginning device manager screen it still says Duron...