Permissions on Fat32 partition

I have set up a fat32 partition in order to share between the 2 OS on my system. I am trying to change the permissions on the fat32 partition have not had much luck. It has been suggested that I need to add a line in fstab. Any thoughts would be most helpfull.

Edit: Want to be able to write to the partition as well as read and execute
    Last edited by themortarman; 11-27-2004 at 01:22 PM.

Re: Permissions on Fat32 partition

Since fat32 doesn't have permissions something like chmod won't work

Something similar to my usbsticks mount properties with suit you
    Code:
    /dev/usbstick1          /mnt/usbstick   auto            noauto,exec,users      0 0
    exec and users are the important parts, exec makes everything executable and users gives read-write to users

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Excuse me for being a complete noob!! If I were to swith your usbstick device with my dev\? then copy that to the fstab file is what you are suggesting?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by themortarman; 11-27-2004 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    I have set up a fat32 partition in order to share between the 2 OS on my system. I am trying to change the permissions on the fat32 partition have not had much luck. I has been suggested that I need to add a line in fstab. Any thoughts would be most helpfull.

Edit: Want to be able to write to the partition as well as read and execute
    TMM,

Here's the entry I use in my /etc/fstab file to mount my fat32 partition:

Code:
    /dev/hda5      /mnt/my_win_dir      vfat      rw,noatime,uid=500,gid=500,user   0 0
    the rw option means read/write access, and the uid and gid are user and group ID numbers for the owner of the partition (500 being the default user, you). So, with these settings you have read/write access and ownership and hence the necessary permissions.

Edit your mount point (/mnt/my_win_dir) as appropriate

Try it and see if it works for you

Ned

Thanks Ned!!!!! That did it...

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    Thanks Ned!!!!! That did it...
    I always keep notes in little text files in my own mini-howto directory on how to do stuff like this. It also makes it very easy to post as help for others

Ned

Thanks again to all!!

Ned, I have already started a folder with little notes and such. This mind of mine is far from being a Steel trap. Keeps from having to back track the internet for the info I most likely will forget in a day or two.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

same here- I will take three days to solve a problem, then come back in a week and not have a clue what I did. I need to start a little something like that.

on the subject of fat32, you can't set individual file/folder permissions, correct? so, files placed on a fat32 partition under linux should be accessable to all users, assuming the correct options are added in the fstab?

Since fat doesn't have any permissions, the permissions given to it are passed from fstab.

so it ends up the those unchangable permissions (unless you make a change in fstab and re-mount)

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader