Thread: Opteronic...

Cool Opteronic...

I have a gaming rig, with an Opteron 146 beating at its heart.

I bought it when the Sk754 Athlon 64's were the only things out in 64bit land and the 939 was a distant twinkle in AMD's eye. I couldnt afford to go all out for an Athlon FX so i looked into the Opterons and decided they were a good comprimise. I heard at the time that the S939's were going to have half the L2 cache anyway, and it seems they have, so it seemed like the best move to get the edge in terms of performance.

I was in my upgrade cycle and a Socket 754 didnt seem a good thing, I couldnt bring myself to get a system that was single channel either lol, it just felt like a step backwards. I intended on keeping my system as it was for a bit (in terms of motherboard etc).

Im just looking round now (i left myself out of the CPU/MB loop on purpose to avoid cash spillage ), and it seems the FX has left the Socket 940 now and joined the ranks of the Socket 939 (gee thanks AMD) and the older ones are still overpriced (if u can find em) lol.

It looks pretty bleek considering, it looks like the FX's will always likley be out of my price range and i cannot find any 1xx Opterons faster than 2.0Ghz. There are plenty of 248's but they are like 500... my 146 was quite a bargain at the time, about 250 (it was 400 everywhere else). If i ditch the Opteron i have to ditch 1Gb (2x512) Corsair XMS3200 LL ECC Registered DIMM's too lol, as well as a 130 motherboard (the socket940). If that was not enough, there seem to be NO PCI-EXPRESS options, i checked out Asus's site and the SK8V and SK8N (Ive had both actully... long story) are still the only Socket 940 products. So if i wanted to go PCI-EXpress i have to ditch teh Opteron still....

Anyone know of any good news?

Anyhow the thing that concerns me the most is that there seem to be a complete absense of PCI-Express equiped Socket 940 boards... it would be nice to plonk the 146 into a board with PCI express and then get duel NVIDIA cards or something for example.

Anyone know of any PCI-express Socket 940 boards that are out or maybe appearing? Ta

Re: Opteronic...

There will be NForce4 Socket 940 baords with PCI-E. There will be dual-core socket 940 opterons. Will probaly have to wait till 2Q 2005 though.

You CAN use your current registered memory with a socket 754 or 939 board/CPU, it's just a tad slower.

If thats indeed true then i dont see the need to even think about moving to sk939

My biggest concern was that the Opteron would be left behind with mainboard chipsets and that there would be no PCI-E options - only ones available for the Sk939. Duel Core Opterons sound neat

Found this: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...04_608,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by RobHague
    My biggest concern was that the Opteron would be left behind
    Of course not. That's AMD's server chip and they are trying hard to get into that market. Lots o' cash there.
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    1GB (2x512MB) OCZ 3700EB
    Chaintech SE6600G 6600GT (1)
    Antec 550W TruePower
    Aspire X-ALIEN Aluminum Case
    Plextor PX-708A 8X DVDR/RW
    Lite-On 52X CDR/RW
    WD 74GB Raptor SATA
    Maxtor 160GB SATA
    Koutech F7210-B Card Reader
    Enermax Multi Panel
    Compro Video Capture Card

And they are doing pretty well with a 400% increase in Opteron enterprise sales this past quarter.

If anything socket 940 is going to out last them all.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    If anything socket 940 is going to out last them all.
    Very true. Enterprise customers don't like to change much. Platform stability is all that matters.
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    1GB (2x512MB) OCZ 3700EB
    Chaintech SE6600G 6600GT (1)
    Antec 550W TruePower
    Aspire X-ALIEN Aluminum Case
    Plextor PX-708A 8X DVDR/RW
    Lite-On 52X CDR/RW
    WD 74GB Raptor SATA
    Maxtor 160GB SATA
    Koutech F7210-B Card Reader
    Enermax Multi Panel
    Compro Video Capture Card

Exactly. There's Opteron 150 right now if you want more performance, there shall be dual-core Opterons long before dual-core Athlon-FX will be here, and of course there will be PCIE on the Opteron platform - first up possibly with the aid of the ULi M1695 HT-PCIE tunnel chip (exactly like how AMD's 8151 and 8131 implemented PCIX and AGP).