Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will my vid card limit me?

I'm planning on getting a 939 cpu with an MSI mobo soon and am concerned my current vid card will limit me somehow. I'm not a gamer, not much, but I want to get my new rig close to the results shown in the Anandtech article and don't want any bottlenecks in my system. I plan on doing mostly vid/audio encoding and some web surfing so can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

Re: Will my vid card limit me?

It would limit you if you were going to game.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep it and spend the money on a speedy Raptor instead.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Quote Originally Posted by dnottis
    It would limit you if you were going to game.
    I concur, for encoding, the video card would be fine as the processor is forced to do (almost) all of the work. As for gaming, yes, it would definitely limit you in today's games (FC/DIII/HL2/RTW/etc)

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by perdomot
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep it and spend the money on a speedy Raptor instead.

Good idea, will prolly be better spent on a nice, fast HD for encoding those huge movies.

I've owned raptors, biggest waste of money ever invented, unless you play with thousands of teeny weeeny files where the accesss time helps. Sustained read and write speeds are not significantly better than a good 7,200 rpm drive, wich will also be much larger for the money.

Your video card will not limit you in the slightest for video/audio encoding. Get a faster CPU or or a big, fast hard drive, like a Maxtor maxline III or a Hitachi 7k250/7k400.
    Last edited by oralpain; 11-29-2004 at 04:30 AM.

What would be the minimum I should get if I decided to upgrade the vid card? I've heard the 9800 from ATI would be good if I should get into games like Doom but I havent heared about an Nvidia equivilent. Just want it to be smooth when I play.

In refereance to the Raptors, the 74 GB model has an STR over 71 MB/sec which is better than my 7K250's 60 MB/sec rate. I've never understood the supposed "feels faster" that many owners claim since mine seems pretty quick as it is so I might get a Maxline III.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Quote Originally Posted by perdomot
    What would be the minimum I should get if I decided to upgrade the vid card? I've heard the 9800 from ATI would be good if I should get into games like Doom but I havent heared about an Nvidia equivilent. Just want it to be smooth when I play.

In refereance to the Raptors, the 74 GB model has an STR over 71 MB/sec which is better than my 7K250's 60 MB/sec rate. I've never understood the supposed "feels faster" that many owners claim since mine seems pretty quick as it is so I might get a Maxline III.
    an equivalent would be the 6600gt from nvidia. The agp version is bit overpriced right now, but should quickly go down 20-30 bucks in the next month or two.

the raptor has a lower seek time than any other 7200 rpm drive. So by "feels faster" they mean that applications and programs startup a tiny bit faster. Basicly everything is faster because the drive has such a small seek time.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Would the 6600 GT or like speed up encoding? Isn't there some GPU encoding accelerator on the new Nvidia cards?
    We CanJumpReallyHigh!
    Athlon XP3200+, 1gig PC3200 Clocked down to PC2700 (Cheap A$$ Compaq Motherboard), 6600GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohcguy
    Would the 6600 GT or like speed up encoding? Isn't there some GPU encoding accelerator on the new Nvidia cards?
    The video card takes no part in encoding of audio/video. It's purely mathematical and the cpu takes care of all of that. Watching movies will put the DEcoding on the GPU, not the encoding.
    ~MadMikeSS~
    www.3dxtreme.net

My Heat

Then what feature was it that was supposedly broken on the 6800 series cards that the 6600 series cards had?
    We CanJumpReallyHigh!
    Athlon XP3200+, 1gig PC3200 Clocked down to PC2700 (Cheap A$$ Compaq Motherboard), 6600GT.

Then what feature was it that was supposedly broken on the 6800 series cards that the 6600 series cards had?
    That's a good question, I have never heard about that.
    ~MadMikeSS~
    www.3dxtreme.net

My Heat

Ahh I found it, it was a high definition decoder that needs to have new driver installed to operate correctly on the 6800 series. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314 Also, to encode a DVD my computer takes a bit over an hour with DVD shrink, yet my friends computer does it just as fast. My computer is a 2.2ghz AthlonXP and his is something like a 1.4ghz athlon. They are both 8Xburners reading the data. Is that normal.
    Last edited by Sohcguy; 11-30-2004 at 04:07 PM.
    We CanJumpReallyHigh!

Yeah, but that's just video DEcoding. It's just hardware capable of providing hardware video acceleration for DVD's and mpeg movies. There was talk that it was broken on the 6800 line but apparently it's just a driver issue. It doesn't aid in ENcoding video at all, that's all cpu limited. As far as re-encode time, I would think your buddy's 1.4GHz cpu would take a lot longer. I had a 1GHz Athlon and it used to take 12 hours to re-encode dvd to divx. Even with a program like Mainconcept it still took at least 4 hours. My A64 take about 45 mins last I checked, but I haven't encoded a video in a long time.

Bottom line is that the video card won't help you with video encoding.
    ~MadMikeSS~
    www.3dxtreme.net

My Heat

Ahh I found it, it was a high definition decoder that needs to have new driver installed to operate correctly on the 6800 series. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314 Also, to encode a DVD my computer takes a bit over an hour with DVD shrink, yet my friends computer does it just as fast. My computer is a 2.2ghz AthlonXP and his is something like a 1.4ghz athlon. They are both 8Xburners reading the data. Is that normal.
    I find that DVD shrink very often is limited by the speed of the reader. But I'd still think that your 2.2Ghz CPU would have an advantage over the 1.4Ghz Athlon... Did you compare results reading the exact same DVDs, using the exact same compression settings? You can't really compare the results if you don't compare decoding and encoding the same movie.