Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Will my vid card limit me?

actually the Geforce 6 series do help with ENcoding. cards have assisted in DEcoding for years.

reference-
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...e_6800-16.html

there was a "scandal" about this being broken on agp 6800s, but I hear that it does work right with new drivers and the Nvidia DVD player. I don't use the function so I can't confirm.

Also, Dvdshrink is not ENcoding. It is TRANScoding. Encoding is very processor intensive and is best done by specialized hardware.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

So this transcoding is limited mainly by reader?
    We CanJumpReallyHigh!
    Athlon XP3200+, 1gig PC3200 Clocked down to PC2700 (Cheap A$$ Compaq Motherboard), 6600GT.

Quote Originally Posted by steven975

Also, Dvdshrink is not ENcoding. It is TRANScoding. Encoding is very processor intensive and is best done by specialized hardware.
    And how is this 'transcoding' different from 'decoding then encoding'?

actually the Geforce 6 series do help with ENcoding. cards have assisted in DEcoding for years.

reference-
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...e_6800-16.html

there was a "scandal" about this being broken on agp 6800s, but I hear that it does work right with new drivers and the Nvidia DVD player. I don't use the function so I can't confirm.
    I don't use the NVIDIA dvd player but I can defiantly confirm that the 6800s help with encoding in some cases. Perfromance in FRAPS when I upgraded to a 6800GT from a 9800pro @ XT almost trippled. There did not seem to be a difference when I was converting files to XviD or DivX. I have not checked with windows media encoder or anything else yet.

ENcoding takes video and changes a format.
    DEcoding is playing it
    TRANScoding is simply changing the compression characteristics of an existing file without changing the format.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

ENcoding takes video and changes a format.
    DEcoding is playing it
    TRANScoding is simply changing the compression characteristics of an existing file without changing the format.
    Well, there is at least a hint of truth there.

But transcoding really is just a fancy word that really does mean actually first decoding video (which does not mean necessarily just 'playing it', but can mean 'simply' decompressing (and decrypting) it) and then encoding it (or recompressing (and possibly encrypting) it, the fact that e.g. DVDShrink uses the same format for recompressing video, that is MPeg2, doesn't make the process any simpler and the term transcoding is also used when the file format is actually changed).
    Last edited by Pehu; 12-01-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    I've owned raptors, biggest waste of money ever invented, unless you play with thousands of teeny weeeny files where the accesss time helps. Sustained read and write speeds are not significantly better than a good 7,200 rpm drive, wich will also be much larger for the money.

Your video card will not limit you in the slightest for video/audio encoding. Get a faster CPU or or a big, fast hard drive, like a Maxtor maxline III or a Hitachi 7k250/7k400.
    I agree the raptor is way over rated and over priced better of to get a pair of SATA drives and raid them out for your vid editting needs , the money you save could allow you to upgrade that aging vid card
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23