Question Processor troubles

My athlon64 3000+ seems a little sluggish

Not because of an insane amount of apps, or spyware or any other crap, i keep my computer neat and organized.

I have a great HD, although my ram is something to be desired. Great timings, and its only 2700 but i often run it at 3200 with very minor problems, but it has no errors whatsoever.

I got sandra 2004 and sandra 2005, and ran the comprehensive 'performance tune up wizard'

I got a readout of tip 1202: Device does not support bus mastering

I got it five times

Micro-Star International Co Ltd (MSI) VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller : Device does not support bus mastering

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration : Device does not support bus mastering.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron Address Map : Device does not support bus mastering

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron DRAM Controller : Device does not support bus mastering

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron Miscellaneous Control : Device does not support bus mastering.

THe first one isnt a problem, but i havent read anything about the last four yet.

I read about bus mastering, basically it takes the load off your processor when accessing drives and doing other stuff the chipset can do. Without it, your computer slows when multitasking.

Now dont laugh at me. I bought a used processor, and it came in the mail, but friggin ups dropped it or something and about 16 of the 754 gold pins were bent

I took an hour to fix them, and straightened them.

I plugged er in, and it didnt boot. I RMAd the mobo which was bad anyways.

Turns out one of the pins broke off, but the processor still works. My question is, could this be the reason? Dont tell me instantly thats what it is, even if it sounds like it. Only if you have some knowledge of this. Do other peoples athlons say the same thing? I know many of the pins don't do anything.

If it is conclusive that this is the problem, is there any way to fix it? Because even if i dont break i will have to buy a new one anyways, cause im trying to sell the computer.

Re: Processor troubles

Well if you have the correct chipset drivers install the lack of bus mastering should not mean anything.

I just ran sandras "performance tune wizard" on all 3 of my working computer, I get the same bus mastering warnings. I don't think it means anything.

ALL of the pins do SOMETHING, you can look up what each and everyone of them does in AMDs white papers.

I would get any broken pins fixed. There are several people/places that will do it for a reasonable fee, though I don't recall any specifically. I do remeber them being mentioned somewhat recently on the overclockersclub.com forums and at anandtech.
    Last edited by oralpain; 12-01-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Re: Processor troubles

Thats a relief. I will look around here to see who can do that sort of thing. I will also make sure all my drivers are in fact up to date. Thanks a lot!

I like these forums