Athlon 64 (90nm) acceptable temps?

I'm curious what are acceptable temps for an Athlon64 Winchester. I've been priming mine which is running around 2400mhz at 1.5 to 1.55 volts. The CPU will hit 45C sometimes. Ambient is around 21C. I have an XP-90 with a 55cfm fan.

My question is what is the highest temp people have seen on their Winchester while priming/stress testing without failure?

Thanks,

Re: Athlon 64 (90nm) acceptable temps?

Well since that motherboard seems to be calibrated for the tCASE (heatspreader) temp (as there is no way in hell could on-die temps could be that low), and AMD states that the max tCASE opertating temp for winchester A64s is 65C, your temps seem fine.

The faster your run the chip the lower the temp it will be unstable at.

Oh yeah another thing, don't use half-multipliers on A64s, not if you really want to know what speed everything is running at anyway. Half multipliers are "faked".
    Last edited by oralpain; 12-01-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    Oh yeah another thing, don't use half-multipliers on A64s, not if you really want to know what speed everything is running at anyway. Half multipliers are "faked".
    Thanks for reminding me about the half multipliers. I just put this system together and forgot about that. I read an article about six months ago showing benchmarks with half multipliers taking a couple of percent off the benchmarks, but I haven't seen anything recently.

... and if the mainboard is actually measuring CPU die temperature, then there's even less reason to be nervous since the operating max there lies at 90 degrees C.

NO the on-die CPU max temp on the A64 Winchester desktop chips is 65C, NOT 90C, as the link below and the AMD Tech Docs state.

http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

Yes it max at 65C for Winchester but when you switch off PC it goes down to 0C and when switch on it goes up as normal as between 27c-44c (my PC still below 30c)..

mjt67, is your room below freezing?

a cpu will never get cooler than the ambient temperature. never. at least not without phase-change cooling
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by Beenthere
    NO the on-die CPU max temp on the A64 Winchester desktop chips is 65C, NOT 90C, as the link below and the AMD Tech Docs state.
    I am reading the AMD documents (#30430, Athlon 64 power and thermal design guide to be exact).

This specifies a tCASE (as measured on the outside, at the center of the heatspreader lid) of 70 degrees Celsius. The tDIE (die-heatspreader junction temperature) may be WAY higher, as you can see from the "mobile Athlon 64" section of the same document. This specifies tDIE as 95 degrees max. (mobile A64 is lidless)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M
    ... and if the mainboard is actually measuring CPU die temperature, then there's even less reason to be nervous since the operating max there lies at 90 degrees C.
    No way in hell are you going to get an on die temp as low as 45C (with any kind of load) with any form of air cooling with a 21C ambient temp.

PeterM is right, Tcase is the heatspreader temp, not the on-die temp. The on die temp is rated 25C higher (95C for 130nm, 90C for 90nm).

Quote Originally Posted by steven975
    mjt67, is your room below freezing?

a cpu will never get cooler than the ambient temperature. never. at least not without phase-change cooling
    No, my room is 21.4c most of time.. it quite warm room

So much ignorance... So few facts!

Ambient here is 20C, (68F) all the time. CPU on die temp under Prime 95 24/7 for days is 41C measured with a Fluke model 52-II digital thermometer, directly on the die with a XP3200 @ 1.76V with Thermalright SLK-800, Ceramique, lapped base and 80mm Quiet fan. Obviously with proper airflow thru the case you CAN have 40C on die temps when you know what you are doing...

For those who don't know the mobile CPUs have different thermal temps than the desktop CPUs. 65C is the standard ON DIE Winchester Max temp per the AMD Tech Doc! See Tcase MAX in chart on page #13.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30430.pdf

AMD Tech Doc #26633 shows you EXACTLY where the max die temp of 65C is measured and how to measure it starting on page #37.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...26633_5649.pdf

This is a direct quote from the Tech Doc on page #37:

"A.1 Thermocouple Instrumentation Thermocouples measure the three necessary temperatures that are used for a detailed thermal-performance analysis. The case temperature requires a thermocouple to be attached to the heatsink lid surface with high thermal conductivity epoxy, such as Omega Engineering’s Omegabond 101. The heatsink base temperature requires drilling a hole in the heatsink base and inserting a thermocouple inside the hole. The ambient temperature is measured by fixing a thermocouple with the bead in the fan inlet air stream 25 mm above the surface of the fan."

As the AMD Tech Doc #30430 on page 13 shows the Tcase MAX TEMP for the Winchester desktop CPU is 65C and the Control Temp (which is the safety shut down temp for the CPU) to be 70C. ***NO WAY IN HELL*** do these desktop CPUs run 90C...