Question asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc systems

Hi All,

I have the following System:
    Asus a7m266d
    (1) seriously cube shaped atx case with 4 fans
    (2) AMD 2800+ MP processors
    (1) stick Kingston PC 2100 ECC registered 1 gb memory
    (1) ATI AGP 4x 8500DV
    (1) PCI 66 mhz 64 bit Compaq 3131 with Compaq 3135 upgrade nic (total 4 eternet ports)
    (1) Belkin 3 port Firewire card (TI chipset)
    (1) USB 2.0 card (came with mother board)
    (1) Maxtor 40 gb hard drive
    (1) Optorite dvd +- burner
    (1) courier v.anything seriel modem
    Nothing in system is overclocked. Nothing in the system is overheating (Max CPU temperature well within operational ranges at max temp of 115 F (51 c). Later I'll work on a better cooling system for the cpu's.

Problem: Windows XP Pro will not recognize that there are two CPU's. I know this as XP only shows one cpu in task manager

I checked with linux 2.4 and 2.6 and the cpu's are recognized with the "noapic" boot setting is used.

So Far I've done the following:
    1) USe F5 during boot to alternate between the detected hal (ACPI uniprocessor) and ACPI multiprocessor and MPS multiprocessor
    2) Disabled MPS 1.4 in bios and retry 1
    3) Disable ACPI in bios and try 1 again
    4) disable BOTH 2 and 3 and try 1 again

Frankly, I'm stumpted. How do I get Windows XP Pro to recognize that there are two processors in the system?
    Last edited by smylingsam; 07-17-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Lightbulb Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc systems

All,

With some tinkering I did get somewhere (but the wroung place):

1) Have MPS 1.4 active in bios
    2) Have ACPI enabled
    3) Use F5 to install ACPI Multi Processor HAL

Now XP SP1 will show one cpu in task manager but BOTH AMD 2800+ MP cpu's in Hardware info.

Go Figgure!

TIA

Sam, so not smyling!

Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc syste

Quote Originally Posted by smylingsam
    All,

With some tinkering I did get somewhere (but the wroung place):

1) Have MPS 1.4 active in bios
    2) Have ACPI enabled
    3) Use F5 to install ACPI Multi Processor HAL

Now XP SP1 will show one cpu in task manager but BOTH AMD 2800+ MP cpu's in Hardware info.

Go Figgure!

TIA

Sam, so not smyling!
    Just a thought... Have you gone to Task Manager->View->CPU History and set it to One Graph Per CPU?

Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc systems

All,

I have fixed the problem. Here is how I did it.

BIOS
    1) Enable ACPI under power and disable BOTH MPS and MP TABLE under boot
    2) Install XP with ACPI Multiprocessor HAL (you need to use f5 when the xp install starts and asks you to press f6 to install thrid party drivers)

VOLIA. It works. I do not know why -- perhaps it's the same reason that linux uses this system with the noapic option.

I dunno. Anyhow it's fixed ;>

As a side effect the system will experice a slight performace penatly having to rely upon acpi for interupt distribution (rahter than mps/mp) but that's a small hit.

Sam now once again smyling!

Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc systems

I have the same motherboard, just upgraded from 2 1900's to 2 2800's. I have the same problem, bios sees 2 cpu's, device manager sees 2, sisoft sees 2, but only 1 is running. Task manager shows 100% utilization, the 1 cpu per graph is greyed out, and the affinity check box is unavailable.

I have the multi acpi shown in device manager, do you think I need to reinstall windows? I tried to turn off both the bios settings you turned off, and I got no change. I'm using the 1011.003 beta bios.

thanks for any advice, I'm pulling my hair out.

Hi Grey Area,

Here is what I've done that seems to have fixed the problem:

1) in the bios, disable "MP Check" (chipset section)
    2) In the bios, enable "Plug and Play" (chipset section)
    3) In the bios disable "MP Table" (Boot section)
    4) In the Bios enable "MPS Support" (Boot Section) -- nb: the setting here does not seem to really effect the out come so I left it enabled.

This fixed my problem and I now have both processors being properly scedhuled in XP. If you use linux, disable Plug and Play.

HTH

Sam, SO not smyling -- why is this so complex? One would think this would be easy!!!!!

Thanks alot, I put mine to the same, rebooted and whammo both cpu's are in task manager. pcmark went from 3000 to 4300, so I know its working now.

thanks again, it was driving me crazy.

Hi,

do you have to use some 333mhz ram with mp2800+?

Thumbs up Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc syste

I had the same problem initially. Having flashed the Beta BIOS 1011.003 (from the ASUS Global site) to allow the m/b to have twin AMD Athlon MP 2800+'s installed, everything went fine but XP Pro (SP2) was only reporting 1 CPU in Task Manager.
    After hours of fiddling around with BIOS variables, I discovered that the CPU MP Support Check [Advanced Menu] Enable/Disabled toggle is reversed in this BIOS from my previous setup with ver 1010 and twin 2000+'s.
    As soon as I set the CPU MP Support Check in BIOS to Disabled, the Task Manager reported both CPU's. Problem solved.
    FYI....I have not had to disable MPS 1.4 Support, or MP Table - both are Enabled, and yes you MUST Enable Plug & Play.
    I've had no problems with this system and its solid as a rock.
    I hope this helps......

To those of you who've tried the Beta 1011.005 BIOS on the German ASUS site......is it working OK?, and is the BIOS language in English or German?

Re: asus a7m266d with dual amd 2800+ MP not recognized by WinXP Pro a dual Proc syste

As a follow-up to my last post, the following link supports what I found to be the problem....it seems the culprit is the Beta 1011.003 BIOS......anyway this article explains it all...I wish it had been there when I was having all my problems!

http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum5/HTML/014034.html

Quote Originally Posted by simbro

To those of you who've tried the Beta 1011.005 BIOS on the German ASUS site......is it working OK?, and is the BIOS language in English or German?
    It's in English and it runs fine.
    Got a little Heatware under Goobee ==> Click here!

Thanks Goobee.......I just flashed 1011 Beta 005 and its running perfectly, and with CPU MP Support Check in BIOS [Enabled] the OS (Win XP SP2) reports both CPU's properly.