Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Resolved [not implementing] can we have the avatars as operational?

like, as in visible on the forum next to our nicknames, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Re: can we have the avatars as operational?

avatars were not made available because the avatars were stored in the database thus making for a much larger database than what we have already. this was not desired. the dev team for vb has been discussing the possibility for giving admins the choice to specify whether images are stored in the database or externally. this would help the situation some...but then there is the issue of bandwidth.

i would have to discuss this one ryan and a few others before we say yes or no. i would also have to check to see if this version even allows for images to be stored outside of the database.
    hmm...

Re: [researching] can we have the avatars as operational?

my honest opinion is we are able to personalise with sigs, why have avatars? I really think it would degrade from the professionl look of the site. I feel that the avatars on a lot of sites look childish.

Sorry to be a kiljoy, but I think the sigs are a nicer option and there is some real good artwork already displayed there.

just my 2cents

I remember having this discussion before.... i believe the answer was that if we got avatars, we had to get rid of sigs.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

i dont like avatars at all, detract from site, if they're to big they mess with the screen, it just isnt worth it IMHO

GWhunt said it perfectly below!! AMEN BROTHA!
    Last edited by boardsportsrule; 12-23-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Even if the DB problem was resolved, I'd still say no because of the professional look issue.

But now if we wanted to change the forums' direction completely and scare away newbs pleading help, yes put in avatars. But that's not what PC Perspective is about.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhunt23
    Even if the DB problem was resolved, I'd still say no because of the professional look issue.

But now if we wanted to change the forums' direction completely and scare away newbs pleading help, yes put in avatars. But that's not what PC Perspective is about.
    Well professionalism is coo but plenty of other forums have avatars and is still full of knowledge remember the saying looks can be decieveing.

Max O/C: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 3.6 Ghz/1.5875v//nVidia 7900GS XT GPU: 600/830

Has anybody actually been able to explain why they want avatars, and why they cant do without them?

Quote Originally Posted by F!reStr!fe
    Well professionalism is coo but plenty of other forums have avatars and is still full of knowledge remember the saying looks can be decieveing.
    don't forget that ryan had to make the decision about whether to keep the fourms alive or not and that meant being more commercial. A lot of sites are owned by businesses that have other income, so they can be pertty relaxed. PCPER is a business in itself, as I understand it, so has to maintain a professional look for the sponsors which effectively keep the site alive.

I would rather have pcper/amdmb as it is, with the income it has, to continue development as an independent organisation.

Actually, the absence of avatars is one of the things that set this place apart for me wh

The only reason why I like avatars is because it becomes easier to spot people. Most sigs look more or less the same to me so that's not a lot of help.

That's what I usually do on some forums. I just keep scrolling until I see a post by a person that I know is going to give some good input. The rest I skim.

Oh yeah, go avatars.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring Banaaaaana phone

Last edited by a cat : yesterday at 05-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

I would vote against avatars out of consideration for members on dialup connections. I know of some who disable siggy and smiley display in the name of page load times. Allowing the use of AVATARS would add to their problem.

maybe avatars that could be on or off....like sigs

i dont think avatars are worth the DB size/ bandwith... they really dont add anything to the site thats not already here.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorX
    my honest opinion is we are able to personalise with sigs, why have avatars? I really think it would degrade from the professionl look of the site. I feel that the avatars on a lot of sites look childish.

Sorry to be a kiljoy, but I think the sigs are a nicer option and there is some real good artwork already displayed there.

just my 2cents
    Agreed!
    Heat

Driving a one stack Mack with a window in the back.

I disagree...most of the big picture sigs on this site are stupid and childish, and do much more to make the site look unprofessional than avatars would.

I understand the DB and bandwidth issue, but if it can be done with outside hosting, I would like to see avatars enabled.