What type of dremmel bit to use?

What type of dremmel bit would you or have you used to modify a case? I have a Lian-Li PC60 that I want to cut the fan grills out of it. I've used a dremmel before on other things and it has walked on me and I sure don't want to scratch this case. Thanks for your help.

Re: What type of dremmel bit to use?

Aviation snips are better, Dremels are good for some things but not cutting holes in your case - IMHO.

Regards, Szandor
    Truth has always been in abundance. Its only due to the lack of its demand that we question its existence. - D. Bast

Dance like no one is watching - Sing like no one is listening - Live each day as if it were your last. - Old Irish Saying

H.S.T. - Happy Trails Dr. Gonzo!

Reinforced cut off disks to remove the material and then a grinding stone bit to smooth out the cut. You can try tape or something similar in the same area you're cutting to reduce the damage if the bit does move, but in all seriousness the bit will only walk if you don't hold it correctly or jump if it's worked in the wrong direction and gets caught on material.

Agree with Szandor 100% on the snips.

You could probably cut out 10 or more side windows with snips in the time
    it would take to do one with a Dremel. It can be useful for removing the burrs from the
    snip cuts. Though a file works just as well too.
    ~ SolTek SL-75FRN2-RL (nForce2) = 10x230fsb, 2.0/2/2/11 DC
    ~ 1800+ DLT3C/VPMW/0307 ~ Leadtek 6800nu (16/6 400/825)
    ~ PCP&C 425deluxe ~ Gskill "LE" 1gb TCCD/437

You can grab them cheap at Wal-Mart or Lowes & the like. Get a set, for left, right & straight cuts.

Regards, Szandor
    Truth has always been in abundance. Its only due to the lack of its demand that we question its existence. - D. Bast

Dance like no one is watching - Sing like no one is listening - Live each day as if it were your last. - Old Irish Saying

H.S.T. - Happy Trails Dr. Gonzo!

Thanks, I'm going by Lowes now. I want to work on the case tonight.

Question Re: What type of dremmel bit to use?

Quote Originally Posted by stepberg
    Thanks, I'm going by Lowes now. I want to work on the case tonight.
    How did it go?
    Usually no news is good news but you can never be sure.

I'm a huge Dremel fan. I used the Dremel® Cutting Bit (560) to cut the holes in my Tsunami. I then used the barrell sand bit to clean it up. I used a non-permanent marker to make the outline so I could wipe it off when done. Dremel cut the metal like butter. Steady hand and glasses are all that is needed...oh and some big Cohones.

i dremelled my side window, never again! tin snips for large cutting.

as far as fan holes go, if there is a center hole i use 3" holesaw, if not i use cutting disc. clean up either with barrel sanding/file.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

If you have a corded Drill then get a Hole Saw it's just a bit with a drum the size of the hole you want with teeth. I popped a 120 mm on the top and 80mm in da back as well as a 120mm on da side.

you can see some of the cut outs from the 80mm next to ashtray, dremel grinder bit to smooth out the edges cuz they will be like razor sharp, 2 of those cut outs double as throwing stars !!

Quote Originally Posted by majorblunts
    If you have a corded Drill then get a Hole Saw it's just a bit with a drum the size of the hole you want with teeth. I popped a 120 mm on the top and 80mm in da back as well as a 120mm on da side.

you can see some of the cut outs from the 80mm next to ashtray, dremel grinder bit to smooth out the edges cuz they will be like razor sharp, 2 of those cut outs double as throwing stars !!
    I just bumped in here and saw your case and I think you did a nice job. I am just wondering, when you installed the 120 mm fan on the side, is it over the CPU or video card and has the temperature in your case dropped since adding the addional fans.

Thanks

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

I don't really have a preference when it comes to using a Dremel, av snips, or a holesaw. I use what I feel I can get the most out of, depending on what I want to do, and where on the case it is to be done.

For cutting with a Dremel, the #426 Fiber-Reinforced HD Cutoff discs. 1st sanding, the fine grit sanding drums, then a jewelers' file kit...

For holesaw, av snips, and drill/scroll saw usage, the same on the sanding/filing down...

If I can get in there with one tool but not the other, guess which one I'm gonna use...
    PC7B+ CM:A64X2 4200:PCP&C 510SLI: DFI nF4 SLI-DR:2x7800GTX:2x74GB Raptors-RAID 0, 120GB IDE:2x1GB Ballistix PC4000
    PC60 CM: A64 3500: Ultra XC 500W: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939: eVGA 6800GT: 80GB IDE: 4x256MB Geil Ultra PC3500

ISP Email 36-0-0 HeatWare 34-0-0 eBay 38-0-0 PimpRig.com

For long cuts, like for a window, I use a jigsaw with a fine toothed blade. Anything else, Dremel with fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels. At full speed, they chew through steel quick. I've not had good experience with cutting aluminum with a Dremel though, so if you're case is made of that, I don't know what to suggest. Plasma torch?

Jig saw - - Yes, a fine tooth blade is essential.
    Any old metal blade won't do. Should be around 32-36 TPI (teeth per inch) for thin sheet metal.
    FYI ..... I've found the Bosch blue HSS blades to be worth the small extra cost for durability.

P. S. - fine tooth blades are good for cutting plexi also. The smaller teeth don't grab
    as much.
    Last edited by Susquehannock; 03-22-2005 at 01:12 AM.
    ~ SolTek SL-75FRN2-RL (nForce2) = 10x230fsb, 2.0/2/2/11 DC
    ~ 1800+ DLT3C/VPMW/0307 ~ Leadtek 6800nu (16/6 400/825)
    ~ PCP&C 425deluxe ~ Gskill "LE" 1gb TCCD/437