Setting up raid(need help)

I have decided to set up RAid 0, but i have a few questions. First of all i am running on a 80 GB WD special edition. Should i buy another identical drive(80 GB WD) or would it be fine to buy a 160 gb one ive had my eye on. and if the 80 gb is a better option i will most likely buy two of them. Another question, will i need to buy extra IDE cables? Right now i got one thats connected to my hard drive and it still has the open slot for a slave drive. Also, will i need to reformat my hard drive when i do this or will i be able to add on the additional drive and simply format the new drive? I am planning on buying this RAID card from the egg...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-219&depa=0 or this one...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...115-004&depa=0 , will one of these work for my situation? If so which one is better? Sorry for all the noobie questions. Thnx ahead of time
    Edit: Doh one more question, lol, shold i upgrade my psu also? im not sure my psu will be able to distibute enough power for all of these harddrives(psu info in sig)

Re: Setting up raid(need help)

bump

You should use matched drives for RAID-0. My advice is to not use RAID-0. If either drive in a RAID-0 array fails you will more than likely lose everything on both. WD's standard model PATA drives don't do all that well in RAID-0, and RAID-0 doesn't really contribute much to real-world performance in most cases. Either of the controllers should do ok, should you go ahead with RAID-0.

so if i got 2 80 gb hdd's would i need to buy anything else besides them and the raid card? do i need to buy more ide cables?

One of those links is for a Sata Raid controller. Some controller packages come with IDE cables.

ya sorry i linked the wrong card, heres the link to the one i meant to show...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-214&depa=0 it shows a cable in the pic so i guess ill just buy another cable since i use rounded cables. Do i need just one cable or 2 since im adding 2 drives? And will these extra two drives strain my power supply? And do i need some sort of adapter too hook up all 3 of my drives?(i only see 2 ports on the card)
    Last edited by AMDeR4000; 12-20-2004 at 02:04 AM.

you should use one drive per cable in raid. 2 drives on one cable will work, but not as well as one drive/cable.

i have found raid0 DOES up the performance in windows xp at least. games load much faster. the card you are linking is a silicon image based card. it does seem to have a higher incidence of data loss. I like Promise cards, myself. They have the TX2000 which will work great for you. Of course, it does cost more, but you get what you pay for. Remember, this is your data.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

The closer matched the drives the better. RAID 0 is great, helps with HDD intensive
    apps.

I've had one RAID 0 array running for over three years without a glitch. And it spent
    over a year as a dedicated gaming server too.
    If you are concerned with losing data on RAID 0 you should learn to back up
    your data more often. Or use "Drive Imaging" software.

Would two drives in RAID 0 really work on one cable? Both have to be set
    as primary (no slave) so it was my impression that they both had to have dedicated
    cables. Even if it did work performance would be seriously curtailed as both drives try
    to squeeze through the same IDE header & cable.
    Blah, just spend $4 ($2 each) and get a rounded single device cable for each drive.
    http://www.svc.com/cables-ata-100-13...nd-cables.html
    Last edited by Susquehannock; 12-21-2004 at 08:59 PM.
    ~ SolTek SL-75FRN2-RL (nForce2) = 10x230fsb, 2.0/2/2/11 DC
    ~ 1800+ DLT3C/VPMW/0307 ~ Leadtek 6800nu (16/6 400/825)
    ~ PCP&C 425deluxe ~ Gskill "LE" 1gb TCCD/437

ok i ordered everything i needed from new egg. i ordered the same cable that i ordered last time. i got extra ides if i need to hook up one to each drive and if thats the case ill eventually get another rounded cable. thnx for all the help guys

Oh man, you didn't order that Koutech raid card did you? I got that very same one from newegg and it does work....for a while. After a very short time it would stop working, wouldn't see the drives and just sit there. It was very frustrating. I ended up buying the Highpoint Rocket Raid 133, which is ALOT better. You are using WD drives, so the rocketraid 100 would be good. Spend a little more money on your raid card, and it will pay for itself in the headache medicine you save.
    Soltek SL-75FRN2-L \ 1.9L bios
    Athlon XP Mobile 2500 12X200>2400@ 1.675V
    2x512 OCZ PC3200 R3 2.5,3,3,11 dual channel
    Thermaltake SilentBoost with Arctic Silver 5
    Gainward 6800 GT 400\1100 with Forceware 77.62
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    4X40 gig Maxtor DiamondMax 8, 7200rpm in Raid 0
    on HighPoint RocketRaid 133
    160 gig Maxtor 7200 Storage disk
    Liteon 52X32X52 CDRW
    Liteon 8X4X16 DVDRW
    AeroCool 550W PSU