Aluminum Carry case into PC case. PJ Log:

I was given a old camera with an aluminum carrying case the other day. I didn't think about it at the time but the case was exactly what I wanted for this project. As I sat here removing numerous Trojans and viruses off my ex-gf's comp I took a look at the case and it dawned on me a standard ATX mobo will fit nicely in the damn thing!

I was trying to figure out how to make a standard ATX desktop into a easily portable computer so I can take it to my cnc mill and bring it home when I am done. I don't like to leave it where the mill is because the shop is not heated all the time and it gets -20F at times in the winter. When I get there and fire it up condensation forms on the comp and that is not good.

I plan on mounting it with an old mobo tray and cutting out the rectangle for the ATX plate and cards. I will mount the hard drive in the upper part. I really don't need a CD drive or floppy drive for this comp as it will be networked from my laptop to transfer the CAD files for the mill.

Will update as I make progress.

Re: Aluminum Carry case into PC case. PJ Log:

Bet that condensation don't help the CNC machine any either...

Quote Originally Posted by Beenthere
    Bet that condensation don't help the CNC machine any either...
    The controller is smaller than the carry case. I take it with me when I leave. The mill itself is uneffected by it. Hell it will have a liquid spray nozzel cooling the tooling.

Here is a quote from my CNC mill project at ProCooling.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    Another update. it is basically a working manual mill now. I could also hook up the CNC controller and make it a power feed Z axis. It is very stout now. One more brace at the top of the Z axis will make it plenty good.

Next step is work on the X/Y lead screws and get them worked out and convert the X/Y to CNC. Then I will work out the smaller details.

I thought you had a commercial CNC and you were just loading programs from your portable PC. Don't know what your goal is with this home built CNC but if you're just looking for rough milling it may be fine. If you were looking for precision then that's a whole different world as thermal compensation plays a big role in CNC machining. Just the change in leadscrew lengths, bed lengths, etc. from thermal changes create a lot of machining issues.

The tooling cooling spray is primarily for tool life. Most CNC machines have tooling thermal and wear compensation.

Looks like you have a project to keep you busy for awhile !

Rough milling? I guess. Don't need anything better for what I am doing with it.

Couple of my blocks reviewed at ProCooling. http://www.procooling.com/reviews/ht...rblock_rev.php
    http://www.procooling.com/reviews/ht...lock_revie.php

Project scrapped. I found a freeware version of Direct I/O. It is called UserPort and can be found here: http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html I can now use my laptop instead.