Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    They don't deserve to get paid $150 for for 30 seconds. Not sure what your point is. Do you think they deserve to get paid more than any other people? Especially construction (which I am a foreman for a steel fabrication and erection company) which is 10 times harder and paid less for doing more? I am well mechanically trained and know what it takes to fix vehicles as I have been building and fixing cars/trucks for 15 years.
    1. I have switched to construction, and know what you are talking about, as it can be a very exhausting job.

2. I paid a large amount of hard earned cash for over 20 years on my mechanic tools and equipment, but have also bought all my own carpenters hand, power, and shop equipment. The carpenters stuff cost me a lot less.

3. Most techs work on a "flat" rate out of published time and labor guides and car repairs are quoted accordingly, construction estimates are also based on time and materials guides or "quotes/estimates" whats the diff?
    aside from what your employer decides is the going rate in your area.

Re: Tipping for service- ?

Yeah, next time I am packing around 50lbs of welding lead on my back all day up and down scaffolding dressed in leathers while welding in 120F weather for 12 hours a day in Arizona or -20F weather in Montana I will remember that.

I know MANY techs that not only never had to buy a tool but didn't pay for their own training either. I also know a couple "backyard mechanics" that are far superior to most "techs". I guess the guy just dosn't know many people or get around much?
    500+ lbs engines, 200 lbs+ transmissions, searing underhood August engine temps., trying to swap plugs, change oil, r&r a water pump, or pull a customer waiting clutch or days outside in sub-zero temps swaping out snow tires, or fixing no-heat problems, or diagnosing/fixing no start/crank problems because people like to wait for the last second.

I have met plenty of incompetent techs, carpenters, waiters, cops, clerks, cashiers, lawyers, teachers, computer techs. ect, ect. And have met a load good ones too. Whats your point?

Over 20 years of working on cars in at least half a dozen states, and not 1 offer from any shop to buy my tools, and never met 1 tech out of hundreds that did either. Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezus
    Well jaydee has already replied that he knows techs who didnt buy their own tools. I know some. So I guess you are just wrong. Dead wrong? BTW I never called techs overpaid. I said they make more than minimum wage so dont really needs tips. Wait staff makes something like $2.19 an hour and NEED tips to even make minimum wage.

But for one example....ever watch discovery channel? There is show called Orange County Choppers, all the tools are in house. And you know this how? What makes you think the hand tools on OCC are "company owned"? Aside from the fact that it is a specialty shop, not a automotive business.

Next time remember there is more to the world than just what you observe in your obviously tiny corner of it. unless you've been stalking me, I would have to say YOU don't know 1 iota about my experiances, Oh, nice stab at getting personal
    Interested in some 3-way calls?, I can put this bit DEADWRONG info to quick rest, You should make some calls to some dealers/shops before deciding you have all the answers.

Wow this is turning out to be a flame fest! Anyways, on the subject of tipping:

I own a restaurant and I try to instill in my waiters and waitresses that if they do their job properly they will get tipped well. I even try to lead by example some times so that they can get an idea of what I want outa them (and I don't even collect the tips that customers leave for me...I distribute it amongst my waiters and waitresses). It irks the hell outa me when I see my employees work their butt off at a table of 6 people who all want extra this and extra that but end up leaving a dollar tip on a bill that comes out to $40. I don't take a dime of their tip money but it still bothers me that they can be that cheap when I know the service was AT LEAST satisfactory. However, I've found that most of my customers do tip a generous amount...it sometimes makes up for those cheap a$$es that tip 5% or less.

Just my few cents on tipping.

I tip in the best way possible: They continue to get my service. I don't go to a garage for a long-term relationship, or respect from some mechanic. Fix the goddam car.

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    The costs in equipment, diagnostic information, insurance, ect. in automotive repair are unreal. To say rates are to high may seem true, but the overhead is driving shops out of business just about everywhere, as rates are reaching an unaffordable level to most people, but related expenses are outstripping most shops incomes.
    WTF? I do 75%+ of the maintenance on my car, and the most I pay is for parts and a few hundred dollars in Craftsman tools. I bought the tools once and they last forever, so that's not an issue. I've also brought my car in many times to be diagnosed by "professionals" with all that fancyexpensive equipment. This is what happens: I tell them what I think is wrong, they ignore me and can't figure it out, and I go home and repair the REAL problem myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    I tip in the best way possible: They continue to get my service. I don't go to a garage for a long-term relationship, or respect from some mechanic. Fix the goddam car.

WTF? I do 75%+ of the maintenance on my car, and the most I pay is for parts and a few hundred dollars in Craftsman tools. I bought the tools once and they last forever, so that's not an issue. I've also brought my car in many times to be diagnosed by "professionals" with all that fancyexpensive equipment. This is what happens: I tell them what I think is wrong, they ignore me and can't figure it out, and I go home and repair the REAL problem myself.
    But one has to look at the whole picture. Try to imagine having every tool, and piece of equipment for EVERY single make, model, engine, option, transmission, transfer case, differental, and fuel system.
    Your local Sears wouldn't make it past second base. (I have some Craftsman tools, and the constant breakage under commercial use sucks)
    But, customers expect the mechanic to have all of that and more, do it in a timely fashion, make no mistakes at all, and somehow have all the answers for tens of thousands of combinations on hundreds of thousands of parts and problems.

As for shops, paying for a couple thousand sq. feet, with lifts, tire equipment, alignment machines, analyzers, information systems, computers, and on and on.
    Oh, and insurance, workmans comp., supplies, utilities, not to mention PAYROLL.

The things listed above don't have much room for negotiation, and adds up to one huge amout of overhead.

Getting to know your mechanic well is no different than your doctor, dentist, or any other professional, it brings about a sense of trust and a much better understanding.

500+ lbs engines, 200 lbs+ transmissions, searing underhood August engine temps., trying to swap plugs, change oil, r&r a water pump, or pull a customer waiting clutch or days outside in sub-zero temps swaping out snow tires, or fixing no-heat problems, or diagnosing/fixing no start/crank problems because people like to wait for the last second.
    LOL, yeah right. I don't have the luxury of car lifts, engine lifts, transmission lifts ect... Spend one 12 hour day in welding gear stick welding all day in August in Arizona. I have rebuilt dozens of car engines and repaired more cars that I can even begin to remember and NOTHING comes close to what I do at work. I grew up in the mountains here in WA. What you describe in your seconds half of that paragraph was a daily ritual in the 5 months of winter for the 20 years I lived there.
    I have met plenty of incompetent techs, carpenters, waiters, cops, clerks, cashiers, lawyers, teachers, computer techs. ect, ect. And have met a load good ones too. Whats your point?
    I have no idea what this is about, but yeah same here.

Over 20 years of working on cars in at least half a dozen states, and not 1 offer from any shop to buy my tools, and never met 1 tech out of hundreds that did either. Hmmmmmm.
    That's to bad. I know 6 people here that got their training paid for by the dealership and the tools are in shop.

Anyway this is to far off topic. Supposed to be about tipping.

As a side note, I neither wanted nor expected tips of any sort, and didn't even imply it.
    exactly- I have never recieved such a large tip from a customer, not to mention a Christmas basket to boot. Hence the reason for my post- this guy had me work on his car a few months back and I guess he was very impressed because everything went very well, Oh- I should also mention he is from the east coast- I believe, NH, and he travels with his wife to visit the country side and his sons in Colorado many times per year, He told me the service in the midwest is very "different" (being polite) than that of the "coast". I personally wouldn't know either way. This person is a retired Fireman (due to the 911 incident)

BTW how does one with so many college degrees end up a mechanic? All your degrees in theology?
    Heh, good question. I am 40+ years of age, and have tried many things in my life from -farming, electrician, carpenter, concrete, roofing, construction business (my own), truck driving (my familes business) computers (again my own but a side), engineering, and radio / t.v. You may not believe this but my role as an Porsche /Audi / VW service tech pays the most, by quite a bit. On average I make $35-40 an hour @ 50 to 90 hrs per week in a 40 to 50 hr. weekly time span, do the math. I do not mean to sound conceded, but I am very good at what I do.

LOL, even tho my spelling suffers at times.

And yes, I do claim my tools on my taxes.

Edit: On a side and off topic, yes oil workers work is very hard, as is that of concrete workers- of these- you have my sympathies- but, you choose the work. And yes I agree, flaming is very obvious here isn't it. Oh well.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 12:04 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Originally Posted by Jezus

Well jaydee has already replied that he knows techs who didnt buy their own tools. I know some. So I guess you are just wrong. Dead wrong? BTW I never called techs overpaid. I said they make more than minimum wage so dont really needs tips. Wait staff makes something like $2.19 an hour and NEED tips to even make minimum wage.

But for one example....ever watch discovery channel? There is show called Orange County Choppers, all the tools are in house.
    And you know this how? What makes you think the hand tools on OCC are "company owned"? Aside from the fact that it is a specialty shop, not a automotive business.
    Next time remember there is more to the world than just what you observe in your obviously tiny corner of it.
    unless you've been stalking me, I would have to say YOU don't know 1 iota about my experiances, Oh, nice stab at getting personal
    Interested in some 3-way calls?, I can put this bit DEADWRONG info to quick rest, You should make some calls to some dealers/shops before deciding you have all the answers.
    Ok folks shows over, jacdswen personally knows every mechanic everywhere and for a fact can tell us that they ALL buy their own toolsl, even though both jaydee and I know techs who DONT.

Even IF all techs have to buy their own tools (which ALL techs obviously dont) this is a reason to get tipped? I DID buy all my own tools as an electrician/electronics tech at a shipyard and a few other jobs. I never got tipped. Why didnt the multi-million dollar companies who could actually afford it tip the workers who repair their large ocean going vessels? Why does a shop mechanic think he deserves a tip because he is fixing peoples vehicles instead of companies vehicles? Because he bought his own tools?
    Last edited by Jezus; 12-23-2004 at 12:07 AM.

LOL, yeah right. I don't have the luxury of car lifts, engine lifts, transmission lifts ect... Spend one 12 hour day in welding gear stick welding all day in August in Arizona. I have rebuilt dozens of car engines and repaired more cars that I can even begin to remember and NOTHING comes close to what I do at work. Yeah I know, I spent a couple years working in Az. and 8 in Colo. and 6 in Fla. outside summer heat was brutal at best and spent many a 12 hour day working in it.I grew up in the mountains here in WA. What you describe in your seconds half of that paragraph was a daily ritual in the 5 months of winter for the 20 years I lived there.

I have no idea what this is about, but yeah same here. clarifying there are competent and incompetent people in EVERY field

That's to bad. I know 6 people here that got their training paid for by the dealership and the tools are in shop. Most dealerships pay for training, and carry O.E.M. required specialty tools and equipment, but I have never heard of automotive shops buying anyones hand tools

Anyway this is to far off topic. Supposed to be about tipping.
    back to the topic

Quote Originally Posted by Jezus
    Originally Posted by Jezus

But for one example....ever watch discovery channel? There is show called Orange County Choppers, all the tools are in house.

Next time remember there is more to the world than just what you observe in your obviously tiny corner of it.

Ok folks shows over, jacdswen personally knows every mechanic everywhere and for a fact can tell us that they ALL buy their own toolsl, even though both jaydee and I know techs who DONT.

Even IF all techs have to buy their own tools (which ALL techs obviously dont) this is a reason to get tipped? I DID buy all my own tools as an electrician/electronics tech at a shipyard and a few other jobs. I never got tipped. Why didnt the multi-million dollar companies who could actually afford it tip the workers who repair their large ocean going vessels? Why does a shop mechanic think he deserves a tip because he is fixing peoples vehicles instead of companies vehicles? Because he bought his own tools?

Cry me a river...

and drown in it.
    Grow up and try a little thing called READING WHAT I POSTED

Find where I said techs should be tipped

And you made some calls already to confirm that the vast majority of shops require techs to buy their own tools? Yeah right.

um, just out of curiousity, what brand of car line do these techs work on and for what dealership- the reason I ask, I train tech school kids on the above and have done so with Ford and Chrysler lines as well. Presently, a dealership in my present car line pays half of what say Audi will pay, and of that, techs get a very limited salary for this compensation, AND only get 10k of tools at discounted prices save that of the "handed to them" frist 5k of basic hand tools, which would maybe fill a small Craftsman 6 drawer top box. I am sorry but I know most car lines very well, ALL dealers conform to the same rules here in the U.S and you are full of B.S.

Again- tipping for services rendered- it is a wise idea, and, for those whom do, I'll just bet you are usually very happy with the service you recieve.

edit: Jac, there is always a clown in a crowd, just ignore it, we know what the truth is.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 12:20 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

LOL, yeah right. I don't have the luxury of car lifts, engine lifts, transmission lifts ect... Spend one 12 hour day in welding gear stick welding all day in August in Arizona. I have rebuilt dozens of car engines and repaired more cars that I can even begin to remember and NOTHING comes close to what I do at work. I grew up in the mountains here in WA. What you describe in your seconds half of that paragraph was a daily ritual in the 5 months of winter for the 20 years I lived there.
    Heh, I just saw this- let me entertain an idea- I'll give you a w-8 engine, or a lycomming air craft engine, rebuild it, in a day, with "your tools" lol. Since your "so good" at engine repair, describe for me, the basic design of either engine, and what tools you would need to repair them? I wont even go into turbo diesel's or the like, Let alone the new electronically shifted transmissions, or the 16 on board computers on the A-8/6 and the miles of wiring or the data bus communication systems, or sat com, ect. ... ect.... ... LOL sheesh.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 12:32 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Grow up and try a little thing called READING WHAT I POSTED

Find where I said techs should be tipped

And you made some calls already to confirm that the vast majority of shops require techs to buy their own tools? Yeah right.

Why dont you try remembering what you posted.

here are various examples:

I bet the price a waitperson pays for an apron and pen are a fair bit below the cost of a good technicians tools and equipment (and technicians HAVE to pony up for every bit of their tools)
    Your dead wrong on that, every tech I have ever met, and every shop I ever worked in, or managed, the one absolute prereq. was techs bought and paid for every one of their own tools. PERIOD
    So I'm "dead wrong" in saying that not ALL techs HAVE to pay for their own tools but your latest post has changed to "vast majority"?

Make up your mind, try remembering what you posted and why we were arguing to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    edit: Jac, there is always a clown in a crowd, just ignore it, we know what the truth is.
    Apparently not.

Provide your source of proof- if you can.
    Nebraska Game and Parks