Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Tipping for service- ?

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    Well as long as you are happy with your own twisted read on all of this, i'm sure thats all that counts to you, so far be it from me to waste any more of my time or others on what appears to be some sort of self-imposed mission to avoid questions and dodge points others make, and you can keep convincing yourself that you are the only one whos point could be valid.

You just have yourself a great day
    My twisted read eh? You said twice (paraphrased) "all mechanics everywhere are required to buy their own tools". Finally, without admitting you were wrong, you changed it to "vast majority". When you make incorrect statements like that and dodge the facts then yes, my point is the only one valid.

Nite nite sunshine.

I do say so because I have done it, but it was with a Haynes manual not a chiltons so I admit I was probably at a slight disadvantage and got it done correctly anyway. Several times.
    Go back and adapt and over come marine- you may find your overt over zealous nature is preventing you from clear thinking. And to my knowledge, even ship yards in ANY area of the U.S must follow local codes, and for you to to this of your own accord, was impossiblly illegal, and dangerous to say the least- unless of course you were working with a journeyman, and if so explains your (attitude) because you were an apprentice and there-by basically a "grunt", welcome to the electricians code of work ethics- the 5+yr guys sit on their arses and the apprentices do all the work. What a racket, and one I happen to know very well- I was both.

On a side note: I find you very rude and if you really were / are a marine, you lack respect for other persons, and since my dead father was a marine for 14 yrs, I think I too know a bit about what a real marine is- represent, respect, honor, code. And of your last post to Jac, you did none of the above- with that from here on out, I will not respond any further to your person, you do not deserve any responce from me- shame to you.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 01:48 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    Go back and adapt and over come marine- you may find your overt over zealous nature is preventing you from clear thinking.
    Well that makes sense. /sarcasm

And to my knowledge, even ship yard in ANY area of the U.S must follow local codes,
    And what exactly is your knowledge of shipyards, ships, and electrical codes mechanic?

and for you to to this of your own accord, was impossiblly illegal,
    It might have been "impossibly illegal", whatever that means. Maybe your overt overzealous nature is preventing clear thought.

and dangerous to say the least- unless of course you were working with a journeyman,
    Even the head electrician wasnt licensed. Which to my knowledge is perfectly legal at a shipyard. But maybe to your mechanic knowledge it is "impossibly illegal".

and if so explains your (attitude)
    My attitude? What attitude? The only attitude I can think off is the one in which you are mostly wrong. But that has nothing to do with my work experience. It comes from what you say.

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

I do say so because I have done it, but it was with a Haynes manual not a chiltons so I admit I was probably at a slight disadvantage and got it done correctly anyway. Several times.
    Now Alpha, no point in trying to prove your right here, hell I just read in this very topic by a self-professed expert on MY OWN background (I am in awe to say the least), that all those years of hauling out and/or rebuilding1000s of transmissions from lowly baby 904s to E40Ds, I have just found out I never did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya Hooo. And I also found out I never once even lifted any of 100s of engines/blocks by hand either, hot da_m.
    Now that I know that, I have gained a whole new insight into the poster of that garbage and at least confirms everything he posts ain't worth the h.d. space it takes up.

500+ lbs engines, 200 lbs+ transmissions, searing underhood August engine temps., trying to swap plugs, change oil, r&r a water pump, or pull a customer waiting clutch or days outside in sub-zero temps swaping out snow tires, or fixing no-heat problems, or diagnosing/fixing no start/crank problems because people like to wait for the last second.
    Now Alpha, no point in trying to prove your right here, hell I just read in this very topic by a self-professed expert on MY OWN background (I am in awe to say the least), that all those years of hauling out and/or rebuilding1000s of transmissions from lowly baby 904s to E40Ds, I have just found out I never did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya Hooo. And I also found out I never once even lifted any of 100s of engines/blocks by hand either, hot da_m.
    Now that I know that, I have gained a whole new insight into the poster of that garbage and at least confirms everything he posts ain't worth the h.d. space it takes up.
    Yes we all believe you lifted 500lb engines and 200lb transmissions. Now when you picked a 500lb engine out of a car did you have help, or did you just do it yourself?

Heh, Jac not only am I a master service tech on over 4 different car lines I am also a card carring electrician, with a minor in philosophy, and a few other computer related degrees tossed in to the mix. But I do see your point, it's very difficult to converse with any one who seems to know what code is, or what actual experience is concerning hands on automotive experience save that of a ship yard or that persons "back yard". After all if I gave some one a job on a 100k automoblie I should expect them to bust out his Chilton or Haynes manual and fix it- gee should I, or would I tip this person? I mean after he or she read what it is they need to know to do the job could I then rely on their skills? Would I want to submit my time to this person?

Better yet, I own a broke A8 with a W engine, I wonder if a Chilton manual has enough pages with in to cover the valve train - let alone the entire engine. Or, a Lycomming air craft engine - you know- the "pure touque, horizontal design" Chopper engine, the one that Porsche copied for the 600H.P $495,000.00, 210MPH, Kelvlar, Carbon fiber, custom fitted, "car", that uses 16 O.B computers that also lifts or lowers the car as you drive as related to speed, or your movement with in the seat? You mean that?

Or the basic trans removal by hand with no trany jack? Sure Ive done that, do i like to- heck no.

LOL
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 02:05 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Heh, bah- I have work in the morning, and lugging all those chilton and haynes manuals to work takes quite some effort- especially in this -14 temp (out of the wind) and all I have is seven 4 wheel alignments, on stuff from the body shop, and a new A6 with a ceramic glow plug concern that the AUDI rep is gonna come look at in the morn- before noon that is.

G'nite.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Better yet, I own a broke A8 with a W engine, I wonder if a Chilton manual has enough pages with in to cover the valve train - let alone the entire engine.
    A mechanic with a broken car that isnt fixed. That speaks volumes.

Heh, Jac not only am I a master service tech on over 4 different car lines I am also a card carring electrician, with a minor in philosophy,
    So did you get the minor in philosophy at mechanic school or electrican school?

What was the major?

But I do see your point, it's very difficult to converse with any one who seems to know what code is, or what actual experience is concerning hands on automotive experience save that of a ship yard or that persons "back yard".
    Ah so because I point out my experience in one place it must be the only experience I have right? Well you're the card carrying something or other, why dont you tell us what the electrical code is for steel ships and who the governing body is. Actually there are two, neither of them have anything to do with the NEC.

gee should I, or would I tip this person?
    Why would you tip anyone making $20+ an hour?

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

Heh, Jac not only am I a master service tech on over 4 different car lines I am also a card carring electrician, with a minor in philosophy, and a few other computer related degrees tossed in to the mix. But I do see your point, it's very difficult to converse with any one who seems to know what code is, or what actual experience is concerning hands on automotive experience save that of a ship yard or that persons "back yard". After all if I gave some one a job on a 100k automoblie I should expect them to bust out his Chilton or Haynes manual and fix it- gee should I, or would I tip this person? I mean after he or she read what it is they need to know to do the job could I then rely on their skills? Would I want to submit my time to this person?

Better yet, I own a broke A8 with a W engine, I wonder if a Chilton manual has enough pages with in to cover the valve train - let alone the entire engine. Or, a Lycomming air craft engine - you know- the "pure touque, horizontal design" Chopper engine, the one that Porsche copied for the 600H.P $495,000.00, 210MPH, Kelvlar, Carbon fiber, custom fitted, "car", that uses 16 O.B computers that also lifts or lowers the car as you drive as related to speed, or your movement with in the seat? You mean that?

Or the basic trans removal by hand with no trany jack? Sure Ive done that, do i like to- heck no.

LOL
    Yeah when I rebuild a Jag , Bemer, Audi, Mercedes, or any other transmission, my first step is to head for Checker Auto to the Haynes manuals, as they are just a fountain of clear, precise information for all ones auto repair needs. Wanna buy a bridge?

For those inquiring minds, yes even a few fully assembled V-8s were R&R'd by hand, with yes one other person when there was no lifting equipment to be had, and countless bare block big blocks and most 4 bangers were handled alone. And in one man shops, lifting 200lb transmissions alone were part of the job.

Unless a certain someone even thinks he knows my physical abilities and body strength (now that borderline spooky)

Yeah when I rebuild a Jag , Bemer, Audi, Mercedes, or any other transmission, my first step is to head for Checker Auto to the Haynes manuals, as they are just a fountain of clear, precise information for all ones auto repair needs. Wanna buy a bridge?
    LOL now that is funny as hell.

LOL, very good jac, ya know, when I was in college, for engineering, I used to tinker with bikes, now those rice rockets use such small parts and make so much power considering the power to weight ratio, and the fuel one can purchase down at the local 7-11 is awful.

Ya know, in my A8 example, have you had trobles getting parts for such an expensive car, most times we havent the parts to fix them, let alone, if under warranty, allowed to fix them- they getting very picky - Audi that is.

I mean after all if someone goes out of their way to get a car back on the road, (skips lunch, works late ect. esp. during the holidays) to get you to your destination safely, and in a timely manner, gee- they deserve no tip? Hmmm, what cha' think? Esp @ 20 bucks an hour, after all I make double that some times and always 10 bucks an hour more than that. Does your wages denote your efforts where you work?

Ya know the only boat Ive ever been on was my 18 footer, on the river, and the air boats we have- do you ever go boating? My dad always told me Navy guys were wimps, Marines dont belong on any boat (J/K ).
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 02:58 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Hmmm, where I live the average diesel mechanic usually earns $24-35 per book hr. and the average shop rate in $90-110 per hr.

Where I work our min. is $85 per hr. (VW) and Porsche nets $110 per hr. With Audi @ $95 per hr. Lexus, and Jag, among others here charge even more- Air craft mechanics average $50-60 bucks an hour, and small engine techs, believe it or not make $12 to 20 per hr.
    I make $18 an hour in town and $21 an hour in the field. But if you compare what I make and the cost of living compared to say California my pay equels about double that. It really depends on what part of the country you live in. I have worked in just about every state (in many cases every part of the state) and it varies more than one would think. I can buy a nice 2 story house (New BTW) with basement and garage here for $120,000-$150,000. That same house in major California areas would cost $600,000. In Iowa at a store we went to while we were working there 1 pound of deli cut lunch meat was $3.99, that same type in California was $8.99 and here is is $5.99. Gas in the Bay area in CA was $2.60gal and here is was $1.99.

So it justy depends on the place where you work on how much your dollar is worth compared to elsewhere in the country. Just FIY info.

Also back to tipping, I think it is stupid. They person is payed to do a job and do it well in the first place (except the waitresses depending on wages to make minimum, that is just wrong on the employer side IMO). If that person servers someone different because they didn't get a better tip then that really really is sad. At one point in time people had pride in their work. Something that is severly lacking these days and tipping doesn't help it. It is really bad when you have to BRIBE people to get the service you should be getting.

Hehe, all other disagreements aside this is well said.

Look. The rules of tipping are real simple:

When you go out to dinner? Always have an envelope in your pocket with a piece of paper that says...."Lucky Lady in The Forth at hialeah"
    That solves the crap waiter/waitress issue.

When presented with the dinner bill...accept it with grace...and in front of everyone pass it to the yuppy ass hole...and say simply..."I insist" His ego is too big to argue. Case closed.

Car mechanic? If its cheaper to give the guy $100 than rent him your wife for a night? Do the $100. My tuneups are something like $400.

Give electricians and plumbers $50. Even if its hust for half an hour.

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    "The Lightning Round" The forum we are in dude. It is supposed to be for hot political discussion. The regular off topic forum is for this senseless dribble.

Tip a mechanic? Hell no, not after charging you $150.00 for a 30 second computer scan that you can get free at Shucks. Mechanics are over paid as it is.
    Nope, I think this is in just the right forum!

I only tip for exemplary service. If service is simply the standard, no tip from me.

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Nope, I think this is in just the right forum!
    Why and explain?