Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tipping for service- ?

heh, I have recieved nearly $200 dollars in tips this week from wayfarer travlers that were very happy with the service they recieved from me, while at work.

Do you guys tip for service? If so why, if not, why not? And do you think (even tho I initially refused) tipping "your" mechanic is ok?

I know, not world shattering, but hey, lighten up- this is the real world.
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-21-2004 at 10:48 PM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

wtf is this doing in TLR?

wtf is this doing in TLR?
    What is TLR? I cant believe you even posted such a thing.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    What is TLR? I cant believe you even posted such a thing.
    "The Lightning Round" The forum we are in dude. It is supposed to be for hot political discussion. The regular off topic forum is for this senseless dribble.

Tip a mechanic? Hell no, not after charging you $150.00 for a 30 second computer scan that you can get free at Shucks. Mechanics are over paid as it is.

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    "The Lightning Round" The forum we are in dude. It is supposed to be for hot political discussion. The regular off topic forum is for this senseless dribble.

Tip a mechanic? Hell no, not after charging you $150.00 for a 30 second computer scan that you can get free at Shucks. Mechanics are over paid as it is.
    That just begs for a question; what does a mechanic deserve or, or in your statement, not deserve to be paid? Are they allowed to afford a home like other people? Should they be paid enough to have a family like most people? Or are "mechanics" a sub class of people with lesser rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezus
    waitresses/waiters dont make at least minimum wage. They rely on tips. Mechanics make at least minimum wage and shouldnt rely on tips
    I bet the price a waitperson pays for an apron and pen are a fair bit below the cost of a good technicians tools and equipment (and technicians HAVE to pony up for every bit of their tools)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    I don't feel mechanics are overpayed, but I do feel the rates most shops charge are too high.
    The costs in equipment, diagnostic information, insurance, ect. in automotive repair are unreal. To say rates are to high may seem true, but the overhead is driving shops out of business just about everywhere, as rates are reaching an unaffordable level to most people, but related expenses are outstripping most shops incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    That just begs for a question; what does a mechanic deserve or, or in your statement, not deserve to be paid? Are they allowed to afford a home like other people? Should they be paid enough to have a family like most people? Or are "mechanics" a sub class of people with lesser rights?
    They don't deserve to get paid $150 for for 30 seconds. Not sure what your point is. Do you think they deserve to get paid more than any other people? Especially construction (which I am a foreman for a steel fabrication and erection company) which is 10 times harder and paid less for doing more? I am well mechanically trained and know what it takes to fix vehicles as I have been building and fixing cars/trucks for 15 years.

I tip in the best way possible: They continue to get my service. I don't go to a garage for a long-term relationship, or respect from some mechanic. Fix the goddam car.

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    The costs in equipment, diagnostic information, insurance, ect. in automotive repair are unreal. To say rates are to high may seem true, but the overhead is driving shops out of business just about everywhere, as rates are reaching an unaffordable level to most people, but related expenses are outstripping most shops incomes.
    WTF? I do 75%+ of the maintenance on my car, and the most I pay is for parts and a few hundred dollars in Craftsman tools. I bought the tools once and they last forever, so that's not an issue. I've also brought my car in many times to be diagnosed by "professionals" with all that fancyexpensive equipment. This is what happens: I tell them what I think is wrong, they ignore me and can't figure it out, and I go home and repair the REAL problem myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116

Nope, I think this is in just the right forum!

I only tip for exemplary service. If service is simply the standard, no tip from me.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Nope, I think this is in just the right forum!
    Why and explain?

Re: Tipping for service- ?

I tip people for services. Generally food and beverage and occasionally taxi drivers. I can't say that I have ever tipped a mechanic, but then again I don't own a wayfarer. Mostly I tip at nice restaurants depending upon the service I have gotten. At lower end places, I just tip a standard amount as there really isn't much the server can do to enhance my experience. I always tip well in bars and likewise I always get served appropriately.

yea,if u do teh job faster than teh fat lazy one down the street u bet

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I always tip well in bars and likewise I always get served appropriately
    LOL I see so you'll tip a bartender or a waitress but not the person that fixes a 90k automoblie?

Over paid? LOL Oh- a 30 second scan? you think so? why then do you need to get your car fixed by another if it's so easy?
    Last edited by smoked trout; 12-22-2004 at 07:21 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I'll buy the mechanic a beer at the pub.

If he doesn't buy me a beer, I'll find another mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    heh, I have recieved nearly $200 dollars in tips this week from wayfarer travlers that were very happy with the service they recieved from me, while at work.

Do you guys tip for service? If so why, if not, why not? And do you think (even tho I initially refused) tipping "your" mechanic is ok?

I know, not world shattering, but hey, lighten up- this is the real world.
    I tip everyone from my mechanic to cashiers (when I'm in stores), my minimum tip is $50, and depenading on the coutesy, service, etc, it can be much higher. Of course if the service was bad, or the persons demeanor was lacking, well... so would the tip be.

^^^Enjoy the holiday if I dont spot you online.....between now and then.

Peace

JimZ