Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Tipping for service- ?

I don't think it's proper for the establishments to add 15-20% automatically to the bill because of the size of the party, then there is no incentive for the server to do their job properly, I don't need them to tell me I have to tip if the service is lousy. This is one policy I do not believe in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee
    I don't think it's proper for the establishments to add 15-20% automatically to the bill because of the size of the party, then there is no incentive for the server to do their job properly, I don't need them to tell me I have to tip if the service is lousy. This is one policy I do not believe in at all.
    most places will remove it if you bitch enough. i know atleast one example where this was done at a large party where the waitress totally screwed up spliting the bills and wouldnt fix it and did a general crappy job... in the end she got zip...
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

LOL This thread is like the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. PINK
    I don't tip because society says I gotta. I tip when somebody deserves a tip. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that shit's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doin their job.
    http://corky.net/scripts/rdogs.html

I've never thought about tipping a mechanic before in my life. Mainly because I take it to the dealership and I have no idea who actually worked on my car.

Unless you're talking about tipping the service manager.

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    "The Lightning Round" The forum we are in dude. It is supposed to be for hot political discussion. The regular off topic forum is for this senseless dribble.

Tip a mechanic? Hell no, not after charging you $150.00 for a 30 second computer scan that you can get free at Shucks. Mechanics are over paid as it is.
    That just begs for a question; what does a mechanic deserve or, or in your statement, not deserve to be paid? Are they allowed to afford a home like other people? Should they be paid enough to have a family like most people? Or are "mechanics" a sub class of people with lesser rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezus
    waitresses/waiters dont make at least minimum wage. They rely on tips. Mechanics make at least minimum wage and shouldnt rely on tips
    I bet the price a waitperson pays for an apron and pen are a fair bit below the cost of a good technicians tools and equipment (and technicians HAVE to pony up for every bit of their tools)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    I don't feel mechanics are overpayed, but I do feel the rates most shops charge are too high.
    The costs in equipment, diagnostic information, insurance, ect. in automotive repair are unreal. To say rates are to high may seem true, but the overhead is driving shops out of business just about everywhere, as rates are reaching an unaffordable level to most people, but related expenses are outstripping most shops incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    heh, I have recieved nearly $200 dollars in tips this week from wayfarer travlers that were very happy with the service they recieved from me, while at work.

Do you guys tip for service? If so why, if not, why not? And do you think (even tho I initially refused) tipping "your" mechanic is ok?

I know, not world shattering, but hey, lighten up- this is the real world.
    I tip everyone from my mechanic to cashiers (when I'm in stores), my minimum tip is $50, and depenading on the coutesy, service, etc, it can be much higher. Of course if the service was bad, or the persons demeanor was lacking, well... so would the tip be.

Re: Tipping the mechanic- ?

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    That just begs for a question; what does a mechanic deserve or, or in your statement, not deserve to be paid? Are they allowed to afford a home like other people? Should they be paid enough to have a family like most people? Or are "mechanics" a sub class of people with lesser rights?
    They don't deserve to get paid $150 for for 30 seconds. Not sure what your point is. Do you think they deserve to get paid more than any other people? Especially construction (which I am a foreman for a steel fabrication and erection company) which is 10 times harder and paid less for doing more? I am well mechanically trained and know what it takes to fix vehicles as I have been building and fixing cars/trucks for 15 years.

I bet the price a waitperson pays for an apron and pen are a fair bit below the cost of a good technicians tools and equipment (and technicians HAVE to pony up for every bit of their tools)
    All techs have to pay for their own tools? Bullsh1t. Besides who cares. That has nothing to do with making less than minimum wage and relying on tips like waitstaff.

All techs have to pay for their own tools? Bullsh1t
    Any tech that I know of has had to purchase his tools- period, as I have also had to do. Well over 60k in tools just to do my job. Not to mention the education required to actually be a real professional tech, this too is a carrer long education- over 20 years now and still going strong.

I would challenge any "lay" person or back yard mechanic to repair a modern automoblie in a timely manner, fixed right the first time, and still maintain a "customer" positive attitude. I freeze in the winter, sweat my arse off in the summer, and have to work my arse, and my mind into the ground just to make a living. Not to mention the physical requirements involved.

What I find so funny here in is not only that I enjoy my job, and make a fairly decent wage doing so, rather, most missed the point of my post- tipping for good service.

I personally feel many Americans have become far to lazy, and most want to be "mangers", we Americans no longer build any thing, rather we manage everything and out source to the cheapest bidder.

God forbid the wolrd ecomony takes a header, for if this should again happen, which historically, will (and we are over due) all "the" 4 year managers will be up a creek w/o a paddle.

Either way, tipping for service- will get you two things, better service the next time if you maintain the same relationship, and respect from those whom you tip.

Me, I always tip, why? Because I know what it's like to really work for a living.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

I guess none of us have really ever worked for a living.

I guess none of us have really ever worked for a living.
    Yeah, next time I am packing around 50lbs of welding lead on my back all day up and down scaffolding dressed in leathers while welding in 120F weather for 12 hours a day in Arizona or -20F weather in Montana I will remember that.

I know MANY techs that not only never had to buy a tool but didn't pay for their own training either. I also know a couple "backyard mechanics" that are far superior to most "techs". I guess the guy just dosn't know many people or get around much?

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    Any tech that I know of has had to purchase his tools- period, as I have also had to do. Well over 60k in tools just to do my job. Not to mention the education required to actually be a real professional tech, this too is a carrer long education- over 20 years now and still going strong.
    Claim your tools on your taxes - you can, you should know this being edu-macated and all. I bet the write-off is better than shoes, shirt, and whatever a waiter can claim.

I would challenge any "lay" person or back yard mechanic to repair a modern automoblie in a timely manner, fixed right the first time, and still maintain a "customer" positive attitude. I freeze in the winter, sweat my arse off in the summer, and have to work my arse, and my mind into the ground just to make a living. Not to mention the physical requirements involved.
    Your right the ley person... hell anyone should appreciate someone who can actually do their job right, but I usually tip for courtesy, time for service (the quicker the better), how well the service was performed, and attitude (a good one).

What I find so funny here in is not only that I enjoy my job, and make a fairly decent wage doing so, rather, most missed the point of my post- tipping for good service.
    I agree 100%, and do so ALL the time.

I personally feel many Americans have become far to lazy, and most want to be "mangers", we Americans no longer build any thing, rather we manage everything and out source to the cheapest bidder.
    Not necessarily, this is another debate entirely, Labor in the US is the most expensive - salary/benefits/pension, in many cases a company can find labor elsewhere for much less, and with the same quality, but alot of times companies will accept lower quality at the right price (which I disagree with). Japan had similar problems in the '80's.

God forbid the wolrd ecomony takes a header, for if this should again happen, which historically, will (and we are over due) all "the" 4 year managers will be up a creek w/o a paddle.
    Maybe, but people generally will do whatever it takes to survive, and (historically) what goes up must come down and vice-versa, so the 4 yr managers will likely have to survive for a few years, before becoming managers again.

Either way, tipping for service- will get you two things, better service the next time if you maintain the same relationship, and respect from those whom you tip.
    Yes.

Me, I always tip, why? Because I know what it's like to really work for a living.
    I always tip as well, I wasn't always as fortunate as I am now.

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

All techs have to pay for their own tools? Bullsh1t. Besides who cares. That has nothing to do with making less than minimum wage and relying on tips like waitstaff.
    Your dead wrong on that, every tech I have ever met, and every shop I ever worked in, or managed, the one absolute prereq. was techs bought and paid for every one of their own tools. PERIOD Feel free and call around and ask those shops, or better yet get a job as a tech and get a real dose of what it costs to be a "overpaid" mechanic. Me = $50 to $150 a WEEK for years on end. So don't tell me "BULLSH1T"

Please don't make comments on something that you don't have a clue about.

As a side note, I neither wanted nor expected tips of any sort, and didn't even imply it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee116
    Yeah, next time I am packing around 50lbs of welding lead on my back all day up and down scaffolding dressed in leathers while welding in 120F weather for 12 hours a day in Arizona or -20F weather in Montana I will remember that.

I know MANY techs that not only never had to buy a tool but didn't pay for their own training either. I also know a couple "backyard mechanics" that are far superior to most "techs". I guess the guy just dosn't know many people or get around much?
    Ya and I know next time I'm pulling 300 feet of 400MCM cable inside a drydock sitting out in almost 100 degree weather making it a good 150 inside with welders inside with all their smoke and retina burning light that some poor mechanic needs a tip because he works so effing hard. Oh and did I mention that this pulling isnt done easily...ie its not on the bottom. It's at the top, so youre pulling heavy azz cable while clinging to beams and hoping you dont fall 50 feet to the bottom. Or crawling around in the oily bilge of a 150-200 foot ship tracing wire for a bilge pump while welders are banging on shit and welding everywhere. Ever been in a housefire for 8 hours? Try working with welders. I know what jaydee does because I worked with welders for a long time. I can guaranty he works harder than any auto mechanic. I can guaranty I have too.

For that matter try spending 8 months in Marine bootcamp instead of the usual 3.

BTW how does one with so many college degrees end up a mechanic? All your degrees in theology?

Your dead wrong on that, every tech I have ever met, and every shop I ever worked in, or managed, the one absolute prereq. was techs bought and paid for every one of their own tools. PERIOD Feel free and call around and ask those shops, or better yet get a job as a tech and get a real dose of what it costs to be a "overpaid" mechanic. Me = $50 to $150 a WEEK for years on end. So don't tell me "BULLSH1T"

Please don't make comments on something that you don't have a clue about.

As a side note, I neither wanted nor expected tips of any sort, and didn't even imply it.
    Well jaydee has already replied that he knows techs who didnt buy their own tools. I know some. So I guess you are just wrong. Dead wrong? BTW I never called techs overpaid. I said they make more than minimum wage so dont really needs tips. Wait staff makes something like $2.19 an hour and NEED tips to even make minimum wage.

But for one example....ever watch discovery channel? There is show called Orange County Choppers, all the tools are in house.

Next time remember there is more to the world than just what you observe in your obviously tiny corner of it.