Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Tipping for service- ?

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    Heh, I just saw this- let me entertain an idea- I'll give you a w-8 engine, or a lycomming air craft engine, rebuild it, in a day, with "your tools" lol. Since your "so good" at engine repair, describe for me, the basic design of either engine, and what tools you would need to repair them? I wont even go into turbo diesil's or the like, Let alone the new electronically shifted transmissions, or the 16 on board computers on the A-6 and the miles of wiring or the data bus communication systems, or sat com, ect. ... ect.... ... LOL sheesh.
    Your reply doesnt even come close to addresing the point he was making. You do get the point dont you?

Provide your source of proof- if you can.
    Provide some context.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    I don't feel mechanics are overpayed, but I do feel the rates most shops charge are too high.
    I can vouch for that, I am a heavy truck mechanic, our shop laber rate is $85 per hour plus $8.50 per hour "for shop supplies and environmental waste" and our top pay is $22.35 per hour.

I haven't a clue who makes that top wage either...none of the mechanics I know. Thats just what they put in the help wanted ads I think.

Either way, tipping for service- will get you two things, better service the next time if you maintain the same relationship, and respect from those whom you tip.

Me, I always tip, why? Because I know what it's like to really work for a living.
    I'd like to know what you mean by "better service"

To me it sounds like you're saying you(not you specific) don't give 100% on the job if the customer doesn't tip well? Seems like BS to me.

I worked in retail / cusomter service for 8 years, never once expected a tip, nor would I give better service to someone if they tipped me. I worked hard at my job no matter who the customer was. Why? because it was my job.

Should you tip a teacher so they provide better education to your kid?

Your reply doesnt even come close to addresing the point he was making. You do get the point dont you?
    Sure I do, but the post was made with the above info- there fore..................
    Provide some context.
    I do not have to, you have do so for us, via your above (previous) postings, now, back it up with facts.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

To me it sounds like you're saying you(not you specific) don't give 100% on the job if the customer doesn't tip well? Seems like BS to me.
    I am sorry, you misunderstand, please read what I posted you will then possibly understand what I have said. However, if not- given that you and I both believe in doing our jobs as best we can, the fact remains true that many persons DO NOT do this. You and I do, hence this is recognised by some people, and gives these people cause to reward this type of work ethics, I hope this "clears the air" for you.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

I can vouch for that, I am a heavy truck mechanic, our shop laber rate is $85 per hour plus $8.50 per hour "for shop supplies and environmental waste" and our top pay is $22.35 per hour.
    Hmmm, where I live the average diesel mechanic usually earns $24-35 per book hr. and the average shop rate in $90-110 per hr.

Where I work our min. is $85 per hr. (VW) and Porsche nets $110 per hr. With Audi @ $95 per hr. Lexus, and Jag, among others here charge even more- Air craft mechanics average $50-60 bucks an hour, and small engine techs, believe it or not make $12 to 20 per hr.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Maine, the way life should be, underpaid, overpriced,and taxed to death

Quote Originally Posted by jacdswen
    Grow up and try a little thing called READING WHAT I POSTED

Find where I said techs should be tipped

And you made some calls already to confirm that the vast majority of shops require techs to buy their own tools? Yeah right.
    Let me clarify the addition of "vast majority" since now somehow t.v. shows have been brought into the discussion and I am trying to discuss a particular type of business, AUTO SHOPS. So, no I can't speak for every possible industry that uses tools, because I don't know and never said I did.

Hey Jezus, where's that link that I said auto techs should be tipped that you keep implying?

Sure I do, but the post was made with the above info- there fore..................
    No it doesnt. His post was addressing jacs post and the weight of certain parts. Pointing out that mechanics dont carry around 500lb engines, or 200 lb transmissions. Although as an electrician I did pick up a 230lb SV9000 (type of 3 phase motor controller made by cutler-hammer) and carry it up a flight of stairs. I didnt have the advantage of a motor lift, or some of the other tools jaydee mentioned that auto mechanics use to move large parts around. Jaydee made specific mention of carrying a specific weight around on his job and climbing scaffolding etc with it, then Jac mentioned some auto parts which he obviously DOES NOT carry around as addressed by Jaydees next post.

Then you reply with rebuild an engine? What does that have to do with the weight of any parts and how you move them around? I know jaydee mentioned rebuilding engines in that post but it wasnt his main point. Besides just about anyone with a chilton or likewise type manual can rebuild an engine or repair a defective part once it has been diagnosed. Mechanics arent the smartest people in the world and dont really need to be.

I do not have to, you have do so for us, via your above (previous) postings, now, back it up with facts.
    I asked for context because it impossible to know which statement I made that you'd like proof of. Apparently you think I am omnipotent.

Hmmm, where I live the average diesel mechanic usually earns $24-35 per book hr. and the average shop rate in $90-110 per hr.

Where I work our min. is $85 per hr. (VW) and Porsche nets $110 per hr. With Audi @ $95 per hr. Lexus, and Jag, among others here charge even more- Air craft mechanics average $50-60 bucks an hour, and small engine techs, believe it or not make $12 to 20 per hr.
    Ouch
    Those rates plain would leave a bitter taste in the mouth of just about anyone.
    But the pay seems low for such high shop rates.

Let me clarify the addition of "vast majority" since now somehow t.v. shows have been brought into the discussion and I am trying to discuss a particular type of business, AUTO SHOPS. So, no I can't speak for every possible industry that uses tools, because I don't know and never said I did.

Hey Jezus, where's that link that I said auto techs should be tipped that you keep implying?
    You didnt say vast majority until the end, twice before that you implied that all mechanics everywhere buy their own tools. That is the issue both jaydee and I took issue with as it is simply an untrue statement. Now that you have changed your stance to "vast majority" I cant really take issue with it. You called me dead wrong for saying not all techs are required to buy their own tools.

There is no link to what you want. You didnt say all mechanics should be tipped, you implied it here:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jezus
    waitresses/waiters dont make at least minimum wage. They rely on tips. Mechanics make at least minimum wage and shouldnt rely on tips
    I bet the price a waitperson pays for an apron and pen are a fair bit below the cost of a good technicians tools and equipment (and technicians HAVE to pony up for every bit of their tools)

Although as an electrician I did pick up a 230lb SV9000 (type of 3 phase motor controller made by cutler-hammer) and carry it up a flight of stairs. I didnt have the advantage of a motor lift, or some of the other tools jaydee mentioned that auto mechanics use to move large parts around
    LOL, doing something once, and doing it all the time are totally different things.

Then you reply with rebuild an engine? What does that have to do with the weight of any parts and how you move them around? I know jaydee mentioned rebuilding engines in that post but it wasnt his main point. Besides just about anyone with a chilton or likewise type manual can rebuild an engine or repair a defective part once it has been diagnosed. Mechanics arent the smartest people in the world and dont really need to be.
    Are you some how blind? I addressed the post directly, to my own personal desire. As for a chiltons- LOL, yea, ok if you say so. As for you being an electrician- may I ask what type, your year and what hall you are a member of?

Again, because you seem unable to follow a thread, I ask you re-read and follow the thread, after all your an electrician, us poor mechanics are not very smart, so my post should be very easy for you to decipher, that is if you actually understand what I am talking about considering your considerable knowledge of the mechanical trades.

Oh, and BTW, I see a few spelling errors you have made. LOL (a friendly jibe)
    Last edited by alpha_03; 12-23-2004 at 01:14 AM.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Ouch
    Those rates plain would leave a bitter taste in the mouth of just about anyone.
    But the pay seems low for such high shop rates.
    Actually Jac, not at all, consider the car line, and it's price- the average Audi cost 50k-90k, the Average Tractor cost 200k-500k, the Average Porsche costs 90k-500k, and Air craft tops them all, with the lawn mower guys at the bottom. but I agree, the shop rate vs. the Techs pay is low, but....... we have lots of work.....
    Nebraska Game and Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Jezus
    You didnt say vast majority until the end, twice before that you implied that all mechanics everywhere buy their own tools. That is the issue both jaydee and I took issue with as it is simply an untrue statement. Now that you have changed your stance to "vast majority" I cant really take issue with it. You called me dead wrong for saying not all techs are required to buy their own tools.

There is no link to what you want. You didnt say all mechanics should be tipped, you implied it here:
    Well as long as you are happy with your own twisted read on all of this, i'm sure thats all that counts to you, so far be it from me to waste any more of my time or others on what appears to be some sort of self-imposed mission to avoid questions and dodge points others make, and you can keep convincing yourself that you are the only one whos point could be valid.

You just have yourself a great day

LOL, doing something once, and doing it all the time are totally different things.
    If you do it once you can do it all the time. Again you're missing the point. Jaydee posted specific info about weight he CARRIES around all day, jac respponded with weights of parts he probably has never picked up once let alone carried around all day.

Are you some how blind? I addressed the post directly, to my own personal desire.
    Exactly. You addressed his post to your personal desire yet made no attempt to address his point. Addressing a post and addressing a point are not the same thing.

As for a chiltons- LOL, yea, ok if you say so.
    I do say so because I have done it, but it was with a Haynes manual not a chiltons so I admit I was probably at a slight disadvantage and got it done correctly anyway. Several times.

As for you being an electrician- may I ask what type, your year and what hall you are a member of?
    You can ask but I already mentioned it was at a shipyard. You must be blind or something. As a marine electrician you dont need to be a certain type or belong to a hall. There is no electrical code other than what the USCG requires. Not to mention I didnt go to school for it. I went to electronics school in the Marines and did a lateral move to electrician in the civilian sector when I got out. But why should I answer, you dodged the question on what degrees you had.

Again, because you seem unable to follow a thread, I ask you re-read and follow the thread, after all your an electrician, us poor mechanics are not very smart, so my post should be very easy for you to decipher, that is if you actually understand what I am talking about considering your considerable knowledge of the mechanical trades.
    When I post 3 times then you say "where is your proof" it would be nice to know what proof exactly you are asking for. Frankly I dont think even you understand what you are talking about.