Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

'Satan' Launch From Mini-Cosmodrome Successful

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_041222.html
    According to the Russian news service Interfax, a heavy intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), dubbed 'Satan' in the West, was successfully launched Wednesday.

The missile hit a training target at a range on Kamchatka Peninsula, covering more than 6,000 kilometers, Commander of the Russian Strategic Missile Forces Col. Gen. Nikolai Solovtsov told Interfax.

"The successful launch confirmed the principal technical characteristics of the missiles, which account for a significant share of the Strategic Missile Forces potential," the commander said.

The launch "has again showed the rightness of the design and technological solutions, which were applied in building the missile system equipped with this ICBM, and its preparedness for performing its combat duties over an extended period of time," Solovtsov said.

The missile that was launched on Wednesday had been on combat duty for 16 years, the general said.

The Ukrainian-built missile, dubbed "Satan" by NATO durig the height of the Cold War, is the SS-18 and referred to as an RS-18 or a “Voyevoda ” (Russian for ‘warrior chief’) by the Russian press. It is the world’s biggest military rocket. It can throw a nine-ton warhead, comprised of up to ten thermonuclear warheads, halfway across the planet in 30-minutes.
    So, what do you guys think the russians are up too?

is this just an exercise to show the west they are still a formidable adversary?

could this be a new arms race?

10 warheads half way around the world in 30 minutes, man that is some scary stuff!

Re: 'Satan' Launch From Mini-Cosmodrome Successful

It's not the west they are trying to impress, it's the east - China to be exact.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    It's not the west they are trying to impress, it's the east - China to be exact.
    well, i think that china got the message!

well the direction Putin is taking Russia in I wouldn't be so sure that there not trying to impress the West either

A warning to North Korea- of whats to come.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
    well the direction Putin is taking Russia in I wouldn't be so sure that there not trying to impress the West either
    I agree. Putin is taking some worrisome steps. He opposed the US war on Iraq, all the while hammering at the Chechens....................

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_03
    A warning to North Korea- of whats to come.
    warning? warning for what? I'm guessing a warning by Putin to make sure someone anwsers the door when Putin sends them one of these missiles?

warning? warning for what? I'm guessing a warning by Putin to make sure someone anwsers the door when Putin sends them one of these missiles?
    Well, I doubt even Russia wants a rogue state like NK to possess a weapon like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    I agree. Putin is taking some worrisome steps. He opposed the US war on Iraq, all the while hammering at the Chechens....................

I don't really give a sh*t about the Chechens after what they did to those kids. I was refering to Putin eliminating popular voting for governers and putting media under state control and allegelly trying to change the Russian law so he can stay in power after his second term runs out.

I don't really give a sh*t about the Chechens after what they did to those kids. I was refering to Putin eliminating popular voting for governers and putting media under state control and allegelly trying to change the Russian law so he can stay in power after his second term runs out.
    Indeed. Like I said, worrisome steps.

Probably, but we have the MX which is capable of carrying 11 Mark 21 RVs, treaty limits RV's to 10, we had this since the mid-80's, we've evolved to increasing accuracy and ABM's as well as developing more advanced systems (ie lasers, etc...), I think the boys in the pentagon are a little alarmed, but likely unimpressed as what they did was an evolutionary step to the SS20's, probably 20 yrs too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1
    Probably, but we have the MX which is capable of carrying 11 Mark 21 RVs, treaty limits RV's to 10, we had this since the mid-80's, we've evolved to increasing accuracy and ABM's as well as developing more advanced systems (ie lasers, etc...), I think the boys in the pentagon are a little alarmed, but likely unimpressed as what they did was an evolutionary step to the SS20's, probably 20 yrs too late.
    Ah, not really that worrisome. If even one is launched, it is all over anyways. At any rate, it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Ah, not really that worrisome. If even one is launched, it is all over anyways. At any rate, it will never happen.
    Would be true even if they hadn't developed their "SATAN" ICBM, one SS20 goes up, so does our ICBM's then theirs, then the roaches have anarchy ruling the world.

Sheesh, think about it rearming of the Soviet system- this would give North Korea great pause in any thing they do- not to mention the M.E. And it is not America that fears SATAN, it is the M.E countries that maintain this fear, think about it.
    Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores
    http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_041222.html

So, what do you guys think the russians are up too?

is this just an exercise to show the west they are still a formidable adversary?

could this be a new arms race?

10 warheads half way around the world in 30 minutes, man that is some scary stuff!
    Of course, the US, China etc never test their ICBM's. It's hardly a new weapon or something anyway.