Help, no interenet conection on other computer

ok guys, here goes.

My friend, turned on his computer, and no connection. Everything is hooked up, and it was workin the night before. its an E machines with windows Xp. i have no clue where to start anymore. i checked his connections, and the packets are being sent but no recieved. His ip is set to be recovered automatically. please help.

Any advice is apreciated.
    3000+ @ 2.6mhz AMD 64
    6800nu 16x1,6vp PNY
    xblk PDP 1gb 3.4.4.7
    120gb hard drive

Re: Help, no interenet conection on other computer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsNight
    ok guys, here goes.

My friend, turned on his computer, and no connection. Everything is hooked up, and it was workin the night before. its an E machines with windows Xp. i have no clue where to start anymore. i checked his connections, and the packets are being sent but no recieved. His ip is set to be recovered automatically. please help.

Any advice is apreciated.
    Do you have the connection set to show the status icon in the system tray? If so, is he getting a correct IP assigned (right-click icon->status->support), something like a real IP number and DNS servers shown? Or, if behind a router, something like 192.168.0.xxx? Check that it doesn't begin with 169 (.xxx.x.xxx). If so, then whatever the device he is connected to needs to be restarted and/or reset, or his isp might just be down at the moment.

well i checked its 169 what do i do now? see he brought it here and it didnt work here either. so how do i change it from that?. thanks for getting me this far. so he is at my house in my router, but i dont see him on the network and hes got no interenet at my houes or his.

THANK YOU, plz keep helping
    3000+ @ 2.6mhz AMD 64
    6800nu 16x1,6vp PNY
    xblk PDP 1gb 3.4.4.7
    120gb hard drive

well i checked its 169 what do i do now? see he brought it here and it didnt work here either. so how do i change it from that?. thanks for getting me this far. so he is at my house in my router, but i dont see him on the network and hes got no interenet at my houes or his.

THANK YOU, plz keep helping
    The 169 address is like a placeholder number that you get when you use DHCP (like with a router at your house or like with cable) and your PC is not getting assigned an IP number. You can double check the network connection properties, be sure it says "Obtain IP Automatically". When that is set, and the PC starts up, it will automatically send out a signal to renew that address. If his ISP is down in his area, he'll get that. Also, if he connects through a cable or DSL modem, and this PC is new, the modem may need to be powered off/on or maybe even reset (pinhole switch) before it will accept his system. Some isp's require you to register the MAC number of the nic with them.

Your router should have accepted it. But maybe his connection is not set correctly as above, or maybe you, or someone else has secured your router by specifying the MAC's it will accept.

Usually the way to reset things is to set the connection properly, then turn off the PC, and uplug the router, cable modem etc. and wait a couple of minutes. Then start at the connection into the house, turn on the first device, like the cable modem. Wait tilll it stops flashing, then turn on the next thing, like the router, wait. Then turn on the PC.

hey lol i did lose it, thnanks. i did those things and nothing changed. do have anmy other ideas? like is there anythiing in windows.
    3000+ @ 2.6mhz AMD 64
    6800nu 16x1,6vp PNY
    xblk PDP 1gb 3.4.4.7
    120gb hard drive

hey lol i did lose it, thnanks. i did those things and nothing changed. do have anmy other ideas? like is there anythiing in windows.
    Just checking. You turned off all of the devices from the PC's all the way back to the wall. Then you turned everything on, one at a time, moving from the wall back to the PC's, waiting a minute or two after each device. That is all correct?

Are you sure you are using a patch cable to connect his PC to the router, not a crossover cable?

Look in his computer in Device Manager. do you see the adapter listed there under Network Adapters? Any errors?

Look at the back of his computer where the ethernet cable is plugged in. Do you see a light on back there? Does it blink?

Look at where that cable plugs into the router. Is there a light on the router turned on above that port the same way that the one for your PC is?

On his computer, go to Start->Run, type

cmd

and then

[Enter] <- the key

Then type

ping 127.0.0.1 [Enter]

Do you see this?

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

If you do, then the nic is working, and there is a problem with the settings or the router as mentioned above.

i did the ping at it worked but still no connection between router and comp. wierd.
    3000+ @ 2.6mhz AMD 64
    6800nu 16x1,6vp PNY
    xblk PDP 1gb 3.4.4.7
    120gb hard drive

Try the winsock fix this tool has helped many if you can not browse in 2 different locations has to be on the box, Try start run cmd enter ipconfig/renew and see if you get the message that an operation has been attempted on something that is not a socket usually you will get this error when you have a corrupt winsock but not always and the winsock fix never hurts anything is worth a try and it will fit on a floppy http://www.ronspcshop.com/downloads/winfix.exe Another thing that may of happened is if he upgraded to SP2 sometimes it kills the automaticly obtain an ip address the way around that is to force the ip address in tcp/ip if you have a bridged ip you are out of luck but if you are going to a router this will work if it is a sp2 issue. Took me a long time to figure that one out.
    Last edited by rayers2; 12-26-2004 at 07:17 AM.
    Epox 8rda6+
    Mobile 2500 @ 2630 core 1.775
    IQYHA 0348
    Samsung 930B
    500w Raidmax alum Power Supply
    Windows XP pro sp2
    1.5gig Corsair XMS 3200 Pro memory
    Ati Radeon x800PE
    Ati modded bios
    Cannon 630U Scanner
    HP Photosmart 7960
    Linksys Wrt54g HPR WRT Thibor 15c firmware