Question system crashing in games and apps

I recently upgraded my athlon xp machine, installed win xp pro, and overclocked to these spec's:

MSI K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum
    1800+ w/ factory unlocked multiplyer (B0 stepping) @ 2.215GHz 1.6v (185x12)
    2x Mushkin 512MB PC3500 @ 2-3-3-7 2.75v Dual Channel
    Albatron FX5900XT, original bios, clocked at 500MHz Core 710MHz Mem
    520w Aspire PSU
    WD Raptor

I can run most programs without issues at all, proc. idle temps are around 50C, load is about 60C. However, as soon as I get into major programs like Photoshop, 3dS Max, or any games like Doom 3, HL2, COD etc. it's only a matter of time before it kicks me out of the program and right back to the desktop. I have gotten it to stabilize enough to keep windows from crashing but any more attempts to stabilize things has little effect. Any ideas appreciated!!!
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

Re: system crashing in games and apps

I would suggest you need to up the Vcore to get stability- any XP chip running at 2.0Ghz or above uses 1.65V by default. As you are overclocking you may need to use 1.7V or higher, but watch your CPU temps- you are pretty high already. Yo may need to improve the CPU cooling before trying this- I like to keep my under socket CPU temp below 50.C under load when overclocking.
    newest comp- DFI nf2 ultra infinity- barton2500-m @10.5*230
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Just because you can achieve a great OC doesn't mean it will be stable, try bringing it to a more reasonable 2.1 Ghtz or so and see if it is stable.... You have witnessed false stability! just because it can load and start is not stability.... it must run the programs too

yes you need to increase Voltage to CPU to hope to maintain stability in a OC situation, but like Lord Vetinari said your temps are high..... not good for stability

Run you CPU voltage to 1.7, bring your clock down. .... my recommendation.

You could run Prime 95 for awhile and check temps and stability that way, but it's just a indicator the proof is in using your programs..... If You can't you are NOT stable
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

get speedfan in there.how are u monitoring temps?
    like they said,more juice is needed

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I hear ya panda, in the last several days it had become more unstable even at lower speeds, voltages and temp. I went ahead and loaded the BOIS defaults and the board straight up died. No POST, no nothing! Sooooo, its outta here. I was monitoring my temps via the MSI utility, I know I know, total POS.... But, nonetheless, thanks a bunch for the ideas and help guys, very appreciated!
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

I am having troubles getting my second rig going too....sometimes I need to take a break! How can computers be so much fun and so frustrating.....

I have just done my second RMA and its been 4 years since the first RMA .... I forgot it was an option! (RMA'd a MSI Mobo that I liked, but I think I killed it)

Sometimes your only option.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I would agree with 'lord' You have/had to up that vcore volt......... way to low. Also def. need better cooling bro.