Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22
    Very well done, Thanks Wai Wai.
    Thanks to hear that
    By the way, any suggestion on my report?

Quote Originally Posted by Wai_Wai
    In addition, you may see the same line of products from Kaspersky can have different results.
    KAV Pro is better than KAV personal.
    Interesting too
    I don't think there's really any difference between Kaspersky personal and pro except the pro version uses the extended database of definitions. This contains definitions for riskware and will detect stuff like remote desktop or VNC software if you're running it and jokeware apps like those dancing figures in the corner of your screen. Core virus/Trojan/malware definitions are identical across all products using the kaspersky engine. The main differences between personal and pro versions of Kaspersky are feature related.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    I don't think there's really any difference between Kaspersky personal and pro except the pro version uses the extended database of definitions. This contains definitions for riskware and will detect stuff like remote desktop or VNC software if you're running it and jokeware apps like those dancing figures in the corner of your screen. Core virus/Trojan/malware definitions are identical across all products using the kaspersky engine. The main differences between personal and pro versions of Kaspersky are feature related.

Ned
    Yes, I agree with you :P
    However from the test, the organization should choose something which surely harm the computer (ie the are not really riskware or jokeware, although the harm may be minor). And since Pro can detect more, its extended database should not be just an extension for riskware or jokeware or minor-malware.

Anyway, these virus or malware may be rather rare and we don't need to be too worried about catching them. I would rather focus on their abilities to catch some new/unknown virus, and its ability to protect my files/computer form being damage.

Viruses are getting MUCH more complex in recent months.

Personally, I won't waste another dime on either McAfee or Norton again.
    Have seen occasions with both where Trojans got through and infected the
    system and the AV app didn't even know it. You could even find additions to
    the registry which fooled the auto-update with a feedback loop to the
    local machine file. Therefore new viruses were completly free to invade.
    ~ SolTek SL-75FRN2-RL (nForce2) = 10x230fsb, 2.0/2/2/11 DC
    ~ 1800+ DLT3C/VPMW/0307 ~ Leadtek 6800nu (16/6 400/825)
    ~ PCP&C 425deluxe ~ Gskill "LE" 1gb TCCD/437

Quote Originally Posted by Susquehannock
    Viruses are getting MUCH more complex in recent months.

Personally, I won't waste another dime on either McAfee or Norton again.
    Have seen occasions with both where Trojans got through and infected the
    system and the AV app didn't even know it. You could even find additions to
    the registry which fooled the auto-update with a feedback loop to the
    local machine file. Therefore new viruses were completly free to invade.
    Exactly. Virus is always cleverer than AV porgram

That's why no one single AV program can protect you from all virus, not to say some new and even unknown viruses.

Let me take some examples from http://www.av-comparatives.org/

As to ITW virus, the reuslt is quite satisifed but no Av program can score full. It is sad but painfully true. No AV program can protect you from any virus attack. Among the most famous brands, the worst can be about 8X% which is rather unacceptable; the best being 99.XX% (nearly 100%) which is very excellent indeed.

As to Zoo virus, the result may be shocking to most of you. Even among the most famous brands, they can score as low as 4% but no higher than 50%.

If you wish to have the best AV protection, there're 3 steps you need to do:
    - frequently update your anti-virus program
    - frequently run full-system scan on your computer (eg weekly)
    - frequently do online scans from other anti-virus companies (eg monthly, or even weekly)

Scanning with more than 1 AV program can be helpful. I was infected by 1 virus long time ago, maybe 5 years ago. Norton couldn't fix my files. I went to TrendMicro and scan the infected files. I scanned some more, and it was able to repair them.

Apart from getting some good AV portection & scanning, having a good knowledge of using your computer is more important.

Prevention is better than cure. If you know how to use your computer safely, your chance of getting a virus or anything harmful is much reduced.

Awesome thread here Wai Wai. Many will benefit from it I'm sure.

Have you ever used Panda Scan? On two occasions it was able to find malicious
    entries that Norton, AVG, and Trend Micro did not. Free Panda doesn't
    delete them, but it does give you the locations so you can seach with RegEdit
    and do it manually.

Seems I read recently that some estimates say many as 40% of all the personal
    computers on the net are infected and don't even know it. Scary stuff!

Awesome thread here Wai Wai. Many will benefit from it I'm sure.

Have you ever used Panda Scan? On two occasions it was able to find malicious
    entries that Norton, AVG, and Trend Micro did not. Free Panda doesn't
    delete them, but it does give you the locations so you can seach with RegEdit
    and do it manually.

Seems I read recently that some estimates say many as 40% of all the personal
    computers on the net are infected and don't even know it. Scary stuff!
    I use the Panda scan alot. It always seems to find somethings the others don't, But I'm curious as to whether sometimes it's a false positive.

Actually if some digging on google would have been done (within the top 10 links in doing a search for "AVK antivirus"), the original poster would have seen there *IS* an english AVK version: http://www.extendia.com/

Just thought I would clarify since it was excluded on the grounds that he said only a german version was available....and "supposedly" it's been around longer than Dec 2004 when the original post was made.

Regards...

Question Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

"By the way, did you just subscribe the McAfee VirusScan? And do you have other McAfee products?"

Nope, just VirusScan.

So, what you're saying is it might be a good idea to do an online Panda Scan weekly on both my computers (and maybe even my work computer too)? The other home computer only uses the AVG Free.

Always good to run more than one virus scanner. The more popular & widspread the
    scanner, the more likely the hackerz will include code to target & render it useless.

Which is why I won't bother using McAfee & Norton again.

Always good to run more than one virus scanner. The more popular & widspread the
    scanner, the more likely the hackerz will include code to target & render it useless.
    And, no matter how good it is, NO AV package detects every virus. McAfee is actually very good at detection (probably second behind Kaspersky based products), but still only scores in the 90s percentage wise. Running a separate on demand scanner (preferably based on a different scanning engine) will increase your chances of catching anything that slips through the net

Ned

^_^

Question Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

Just ran Panda scanner today at work and it took forever and never completed. I had to continue working, so I stopped it. Why does it take so long?
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 05-17-2005 at 09:15 AM.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

I tried F-Secure on my system (fresh OS install) and had nothing but problems. It was a memory hog and slowed my internet to a crawl.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."