Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

Interesting thread... (yet little OT since it's "Comparison Analysis", not "which is the best one" )

FYI, I am running the full version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal version 5. I feel good because I am not running anything else. No more software firewall (now relying on D-Link's router). I still would need some kind of Anti-Spam for my Outlook 2000 (and I like the Norton's but don't know if I want to put it back in my PC, already using Symantec WinFax). The PC seems running faster...

OK, from reading this once again, correct the following (of course, opinion will popup, but this is "Comparison Analysis" ) I like to know what to understand...

Best on-demand anti-spyware is Spybot S&D ?

Best real-time anti-spyware is Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta) ?

I will still need to download Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal , which is no longer free?

I can understand that relying on "all-in-one" package (like Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Personal Security Suite) wouldn't be as good as doing each (AV, anti-spyware, and anti-adware) as seperate... and anti-spam too?

Chuck

OK, my response is a little OT as well. For spam try either Spambayes or Qurb. You could also search and see which ones work with Outlook 2000 best if you don't like these two. WTF, Ad-Aware isn't free anymore? I haven't heard this.

.......just checked and it still looks free to me (check this web site and click on Downloads on left side of page.
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Of course, maybe all along you were asking if it was free or not and it was a question. In that case then, yes, it is still free.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 09-29-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks. I got it now (didn't install it yet, I want to make sure I research some more before I install the anti-adware and anti-spyware).

Chuck

I was curious abut your analysis. I seem to remember a comparision made between NAV and Panda a couple of years ago and, if I remember correctly, Panda had approximately twice the number of virus signatures as NAV at the time. So, I downloaded their trial version this evening and liked it. It seems relatively compact and the total number of signatures is reported having is 104,715. I wonder how the other programs compare in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CNT
    Interesting thread... (yet little OT since it's "Comparison Analysis", not "which is the best one" )

FYI, I am running the full version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal version 5. I feel good because I am not running anything else. No more software firewall (now relying on D-Link's router). I still would need some kind of Anti-Spam for my Outlook 2000 (and I like the Norton's but don't know if I want to put it back in my PC, already using Symantec WinFax). The PC seems running faster...

OK, from reading this once again, correct the following (of course, opinion will popup, but this is "Comparison Analysis" ) I like to know what to understand...

Best on-demand anti-spyware is Spybot S&D ?

Best real-time anti-spyware is Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta) ?

I will still need to download Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal , which is no longer free?

I can understand that relying on "all-in-one" package (like Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Personal Security Suite) wouldn't be as good as doing each (AV, anti-spyware, and anti-adware) as seperate... and anti-spam too?

Chuck
    Ad-Aware and Spybot are both popular and effective free tools. You'll no doubt receive mixed views on Microsoft's product, so make up your own mind on that one

Another useful and free tool is SpywareBlaster. It's a prevention tool rather than a detection/removal tool.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3
    I was curious abut your analysis. I seem to remember a comparision made between NAV and Panda a couple of years ago and, if I remember correctly, Panda had approximately twice the number of virus signatures as NAV at the time. So, I downloaded their trial version this evening and liked it. It seems relatively compact and the total number of signatures is reported having is 104,715. I wonder how the other programs compare in that respect.
    The total number of signitures can be misleading. Some AV vendors use more generic signitures that are capable of detecting many variants of similar viruses. Whilst it may give you an indication, it shouldn't be used as a factor in determining a product's ability to detect malwares.

As a quick example, look at the AV Comparatives reviews. Norton, for example, has ~70,000 signitures but detects ~418,000 viruses (99%) in their sample set - way more than it's number of signitures.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    The total number of signitures can be misleading. Some AV vendors use more generic signitures that are capable of detecting many variants of similar viruses. Whilst it may give you an indication, it shouldn't be used as a factor in determining a product's ability to detect malwares.

As a quick example, look at the AV Comparatives reviews. Norton, for example, has ~70,000 signitures but detects ~418,000 viruses (99%) in their sample set - way more than it's number of signitures.

Ned
    Do you know the behind reasons why larger signature databases isn't euqal to better anti-virus capabilities?

Do you the understand the reason improper sampling isn't equal to proper testing?

Unhappy Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

Well, the AVG server seems like it's down so I figured this would be a good a time as any to uninstall this and install AntiVir instead. I just finished that and it seems the AntiVir update server is down also. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster
    Well, the AVG server seems like it's down so I figured this would be a good a time as any to uninstall this and install AntiVir instead. I just finished that and it seems the AntiVir update server is down also. Go figure!
    Yes, the update servers for AVG Free have been down all day, but AVG Professional updated OK (uses different servers) - there was a version update from 7.0 to 7.1 today.

Ned

I'm using AntiVir now! Still didn't update, but the virus file is dated yesterday so I'm not worried right now. I also got one false positive when I scanned my computer. It was a file used by BitDefender but I can't remember the name.

Can someone do a chart based on system resources?

www.elitesoldiersus.com

Thumbs up Re: My Anti-virus Program Comparison Analysis

AntiVir update worked this morning!