Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Need headphone recommendations

I will be needing good headphones for school next year (since I can't bring along my Klipsch) and need recommendations. Don't know much about them, whether I'd prefer open ear, closed ear, etc. Also don't know how much I'm willing to spend, I guess it depends on how much I have to spend. Basically I just want something that will sound just as good or better than gaming sounds with my Klipsch. Needs to have good, crisp surround capabilities and GOOD BASS.

I want to get something good, but not outrageous. If I will be happy with it coming from a Klipsch 5.1 system, then it's good for me.

Re: Need headphone recommendations

i just got the sennheiser hd 515, they sound really good good bass, and good highs.. not sure how the klipsch sound, but i know these sound better than my parents creative 5.1 system.

Did you get these or these? What's the difference really?

Not a bad price either.

Bump.

There is a headphone guide (sticky) at the top of this forum. That might help

Quote Originally Posted by randy989
    I will be needing good headphones for school next year (since I can't bring along my Klipsch) and need recommendations. Don't know much about them, whether I'd prefer open ear, closed ear, etc. Also don't know how much I'm willing to spend, I guess it depends on how much I have to spend. Basically I just want something that will sound just as good or better than gaming sounds with my Klipsch. Needs to have good, crisp surround capabilities and GOOD BASS.

I want to get something good, but not outrageous. If I will be happy with it coming from a Klipsch 5.1 system, then it's good for me.
    Some very good devices according to general people, in the$70USD - $110USD range, that are often recommended:

Audio Technica ATH-A500(closed)
    Sony MDR-7506(closed)
    Grado SR-60(open)
    Grado SR-80(open)
    Sennheiser HD280(closed)

If build quality is a factor, the MDR-7506 has the highest build quality of the units listed, or actually superior to many other headphones that are much more expesnive.

-Chris

Read through the guide, I guess the biggest thing I have to decide first is if I want open or closed ear. I would say open since it's better, but perhaps closed will be necessary in a college dorm room.

I use open, so I can here things if they are happening around me. Some sound escapes but not enough to bother other people. So this way if the phone rings and some drop dead beautiful women calls I won't miss it. I'm sure you might have the same problem LOL!

If not much sound escapes then I'd prefer open, as well. I'm just thinking like, if I was gaming late at night and my roommate was sleeping. Would it be too loud?

nah.. it won't be unless you're killing your eardrums playing at ridiculous volumes.

the leak is tiny and he won't hear it unless he's right up behind you.
    but closed phones have slightly better bass response.

I am very concerned about bass! Because the headphones I've used previously, even good ones, just never satisfy my bass needs the same way my Klipsch does. So bass is important. As well as clarity and richness in the higher tones, as well, for example a violin, because I listen to a lot of classical.

But remember gaming, too!

So open or closed?

And...will an amp be necessary?

MDR-7506: Loads of bass. Maybe too many loads? :-)

-Chris

I am very concerned about bass! Because the headphones I've used previously, even good ones, just never satisfy my bass needs the same way my Klipsch does. So bass is important. As well as clarity and richness in the higher tones, as well, for example a violin, because I listen to a lot of classical.

But remember gaming, too!

So open or closed?

And...will an amp be necessary?

Amp necessary to properly deliver that bass?

Amp necessary to properly deliver that bass?
    I have a Sony 2003 model year Discman: it powers a mdr-7506 with no problem.

-Chris

Great, thanks for the recommendation then.

Should I be considering the headphones on liquidsoul's list moreso than others, though?

And we still need to answer if I'd prefer open or closed.