Question *updated* it works!! can i use an amd 64 mobile/dtr in a shuttle?

anyone try this before?

the main concern that i have is how the heatsink comes in contact with the exposed core. i'm afraid that there might be a small gap between the heatsink and the processor core, since the metal shim-thingy is not present on the mobile/dtr processors.

has anyone tried using one of these in a shuttle? or know of anyone that has?

any info would be appreciated,
    thanks
    Last edited by secretcode; 01-13-2005 at 01:17 PM.

it works!!

the main concern that i have is how the heatsink comes in contact with the exposed core. i'm afraid that there might be a small gap between the heatsink and the processor core, since the metal shim-heatspreader-thingy is not present on the mobile/dtr processors.

has anyone tried using one of these in a shuttle? or know of anyone that has?

any info would be appreciated,

thanks

(update 1): i got my dtr in today and did a little experiment. i put a thin layer of thermal paste on the i.c.e hsf and then latched it down. i then removed it and looked on the bottom to see if there was any contact with the processor. there was NO contact and zero thermal paste on the processor. so i'll either need find some kind of replacement heatsink or try to mod the black bracket that the i.c.e unit 'sits' in.

(update 2): wanting to see how much space was between the heatsink and processor, i decided to (gently) remove the 4 'pins' that were, i presume, used to help keep the surrounding black mounting bracket attached to the motherboard. Each corner of the bracket had a small greyish plastic pin which was elevating the heatsink appx 2mm higher, so i tapped each one out carefully and then placed the i.c.e heatsink back on top.
    i then removed it and inspected the bottom for signs of the thermal paste coming into contact with the processor.

there was still no contact being made.
    so it looks like i'll have to find a new heatsink that will work(if anyone has any suggestions, let me know).

(update 3): SUCCESS!! it seems like the most difficult problem was trying to solve the heatsink mounting problem. and this seems to be easily solved if you can get an i.c.e hsf that uses mounting screws instead of the one that uses a 'clip'

last night i spent a very long time trying to figure out which method would be the best. at first i considered getting another heatsink, but some others had suggested that i try a different i.c.e heatsink first.
    so thats what i did.

a friend of mine gave me his old ice hsf from a shuttle SK41G

well, at first it wouldn't work. the black bracket (that the retention clips attach to) on the shuttle motherboard was just a LITTLE too small for it.

so i thought and i thought... at first i thought about cutting away some of the black bracket, but i decided against that, because i might need to use it one of these days(you never know)

so i thought and thought some more....thinking about what to do to solve this problem...
    and FINALLY i came up with a solution!!

this is how i got the i.c.e heatsink to work:

1. i took out the little plastic pins and removed the black bracket completely.

2. next i -carefully- placed the i.c.e from the sk41g on top of the processor and lined up the retention screws with the mounting holes of the motherboard...

and guess what??! the holes that were used by that black bracket to attach itself to the motherboard? matched up exactly with the mounting screws on the ice heatsink!!

simple as that!

i couldn't believe how easy it was either

now the only other part that i need is a backplate from a thermalright SLK-948 (this backplate was designed for amd64 motherboards, so i'm assuming that it should line up perfectly with the mounting holes on the shuttle motherboard) **note** the reason that I need a backplate is because i'm not using the original SN85G4 case. this is a unique situation and shouldn't be necessary for others who might want to try this later themselves.

anyway, ignoring the danger of having the heatsink not completely stabalized, i booted it up...and....it worked!!
    Last edited by secretcode; 01-13-2005 at 01:16 PM.