Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: .wmv files & linux

Thanks Harry. I just want to make sure I have this right. The LAST thing I want to do is screw up my perfectly running Suse system since I still am a beginner with Linux. The best way for the update is to install each of the sources individually, kind of like a template, then if I want something in particular remove the # from the beginning of the line. And at least initially it is advised to only run a line for base, security & update. Now if I have that right then I have a couple other questions. I don't see any labeled base, what am I not understanding about that title? And what is the difference in the two lines you listed between the rpm & rpm-src and is it advised to leave the src line item disabled?
    Thanks a bunch for helping me out.
    Shuttle SN25P
    Samsung 955DF
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    2 80 gig WD SATA Drives
    Suse 9.3 Pro/Windows XP Pro
    Mech13

Quote Originally Posted by Mech13
    Thanks Harry. I just want to make sure I have this right. The LAST thing I want to do is screw up my perfectly running Suse system since I still am a beginner with Linux. The best way for the update is to install each of the sources individually, kind of like a template, then if I want something in particular remove the # from the beginning of the line. And at least initially it is advised to only run a line for base, security & update.
    This is all correct.

Now if I have that right then I have a couple other questions. I don't see any labeled base, what am I not understanding about that title?
    It is there in the repository, it was an omission on my part, you need to include a line entry for it.

And what is the difference in the two lines you listed between the rpm & rpm-src and is it advised to leave the src line item disabled?
    Thanks a bunch for helping me out.
    Source rpm's are used mainly by developers and packagers to build .rpm's. As a beginner you don't have to worry about those yet. So yes, omit .src repositories.

Thanks again. A couple more questions though. There appear to be a few update & security titles:
    update-drpm update-prpm update & security-prpm security, are the all safe to add lines for? Also, for some reason I have 2 Synaptic icons in my folder on both PC's I installed apt & Synaptic. Did I do something incorrectly?
    Last edited by Mech13; 01-07-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Shuttle SN25P
    Samsung 955DF
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    2 80 gig WD SATA Drives
    Mech13

The (2) synaptic icons is normal. Evidently the packager got it wrong. drpm's are delta RPMs. These will succeed only if exact previous version of the packages are accessible which there are differences against. (you can't go from a .1 to a .3, but you can go from a .2 to a .3). This is good if you want to do a one step upgrade. I haven't really found a practical use yet, so mine is disabled for the time being. prpm's are patches to rpm's already installed. If you have a bandwidth constraint, these can come in handy. Otherwise leave disabled. APT can have a problem with prpm enabled if the rpm's are not installed.
    Last edited by Harryc; 01-08-2005 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks for all your help Harry. As for the icons, is it safe to just delete one or will that cause some harm? Last night I went ahead and put in the update line and it came up with 336 items to update. That is just a little un nerving since I am only currently using a dozen or so programs (that I know of). It did however list a new update for Opera, which is my browser of choice, so I did that with no ill affects so I guess all is working. Thanks again.
    Shuttle SN25P
    Samsung 955DF
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    2 80 gig WD SATA Drives
    Mech13

The reason there are so many updates is because Novell just released the 9.2 base packages last night. No harm done to delete an icon, but go into it's properties first and write down the path and executable file name in case you need to recreate it. What you might find is that if you delete one icon, both will disappear on the kmenu ... such is life with KDE. If that happens, simply recreate one.

Life is good in Linux land. The icon is removed with no ill affects. And I guess there is no harm in updating the packages. Thank again.
    Shuttle SN25P
    Samsung 955DF
    AMD Athlon 3200+
    1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    2 80 gig WD SATA Drives
    Mech13