Thread: "Hotel Rwanda"

Thumbs up "Hotel Rwanda"

My girlfriend and I saw this movie a few hours ago, and while watching it I decided that it required a thread here. I don't care about your political views or affiliations. You must go watch this movie. It's not widely-released, so you may have trouble finding it. If you are within a reasonable driving distance in the least, take a trip and watch it. I don't see how any human could watch it and not weep at least once during the movie (yes, I did). I don't want to turn this into yet another nation-bashing or organization-bashing thread, so leave that nonsense out of here. Share your views on the movie once you see it. It shames me to know that so many people died for such a worthless reason and that my country did nothing. It saddens me even more that situations like East Timor, Rwanda, Congo, and Sudan can exist in this day and age, after we have seen the madness and inhumanity of the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, and Stalin's Russia. If ever there were reasons for the existence of a body like the United Nations then Rwanda, Sudan, and East Timor would be them. I am not the biggest fan of how things are run in the U.N., but my God, I don't see how you could stand by the wayside and say that it is not one human's duty to stop the murder of other human beings. Anyway, enough political talk. Journey to the movie, watch it, and come back with your views.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: "Hotel Rwanda"

Thanks for the recommendation. I just saw an ad for it yesterday and thought it looked like just what you are describing. I will be sure to catch it.
    Brian

I've heard of it myself. I'll go and see it soon hopefully.

Too few people actually know what happened in Rwanda and hopefully this movie will help to spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Too few people actually know what happened in Rwanda and hopefully this movie will help to spread the word.
    It's a bit late now don't you think?

I'm afraid that these days, if there are no TV cameras present to record events like this then is just hasn't happened. By contrast, the reason the tidal wave thing in the far east is so big is that the TV people are there in force. Well, it's easier to get too and all that damage makes GREAT TV doesn't it? Without the media circus we'd just read about it in the papers, tut tut, shake our heads, say 'ooh that sounds terrible' and turn to the sport pages. Which is just what happended in Rwanda, Saddam's Iraq etc etc etc.

I want to see this movie also, not in my area yet though. I will see it on DVD though I do not want to wait that long.

And the UN was SO effective in stopping the slaughter, now, wasn't it? Not knocking the movie, just the Useless Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    And the UN was SO effective in stopping the slaughter, now, wasn't it? Not knocking the movie, just the Useless Nations.
    You know, I'm beginning to come around to the way of thinking that the UN is just a waste of time for anything apart from the likes of humanitarian work. I'm in the process of reading this book at the moment. The author cites numerous occasions when British and Swedish Peace Keepers were present at various scenes of mass murder of civilians in Bosnia, but were frustated and powerless to do anything about it because the UN mandate prevented it, despite having enough fire-power to take on anybody. The Swedish Brigadier who did speak up was promply removed from his post.

The same thing went on in Rwanda (worse actually) and is going on in Darfur just now, while the UN just talks.

Though if there were no UN, would we actually see counties with military capabilities standing up and intervening unilaterally?

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn_Mo
    You know, I'm beginning to come around to the way of thinking that the UN is just a waste of time for anything apart from the likes of humanitarian work. I'm in the process of reading this book at the moment. The author cites numerous occasions when British and Swedish Peace Keepers were present at various scenes of mass murder of civilians in Bosnia, but were frustated and powerless to do anything about it because the UN mandate prevented it, despite having enough fire-power to take on anybody. The Swedish Brigadier who did speak up was promply removed from his post.

The same thing went on in Rwanda (worse actually) and is going on in Darfur just now, while the UN just talks.

Though if there were no UN, would we actually see counties with military capabilities standing up and intervening unilaterally?
    The US does, and gets slammed by the media, the public, the UN, the......................

I don't think Iraq is a good example of unilateral action.

I read about this yesterday and am planning to see it as soon as possible.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...0/102743.shtml

'Hotel Rwanda'
    James Hirsen, NewsMax.com
    Monday, Jan. 10, 2005

In addition to Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ,” another film that looks as if it is being sidelined by many of the critics and pre-Oscar award givers is “Hotel Rwanda.”

“Hotel Rwanda” is a film that creates quite a bit of discomfort while viewing precisely because it shows the shameful and massive foreign-relations failure of Europe, the United Nations and the Clinton administration.

The movie tells the story of some horrific events that occurred in the not so distant past; the middle of the last decade to be exact. As the aforementioned parties sat idly by, almost 1 million innocent human beings were slaughtered, mostly hacked to death with machetes. It happened in the span of 100 days, which made it the most rapid genocide in all of history.
    Unbelievably, in spite of the widespread atrocities and wanton destruction of human life based upon contrived racial distinctions, the film shows that, when confronted with the crisis, a U.S. State Department official is heard during a radio broadcast arguing against using the term “genocide.”

The film relays the true story of a remarkable individual named Paul Rusesabagina. With his bold and savvy, yet genteel approach, Rusesabagina manages to keep over 1,200 men, women and children alive. The real life hero served as consultant on the film.

Portrayed masterfully by Don Cheadle, the main character works as manager of the Hotel des Mille Collines in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda. He dresses impeccably in business attire and is a master of diplomacy, adept at using the local custom of bestowing gifts and favors in order to keep the hotel running efficiently and successfully.

These same skills are the primary manner in which he ultimately saves the lives of family, friends and strangers who are marked for death.

Joaquin Phoenix plays a journalist who finds out that during Belgian colonization the Hutus and Tutsis were arbitrarily created as two classes. The Belgians had designated the Hutus as inferior and, over the years, resentment had fueled the friction between the two groups.

The dehumanization of the Tutsi minority comes in the form of the label “cockroaches.” The repeated epithet paves the way for an eventual march toward the eradication of a whole people.

We, of course, have witnessed heinousness of this sort before - in Nazi Germany, in Bosnia, in the Sudan. And we have heard language colored with the same filth from those who have been using high-tech machetes to annihilate our future generations.

Even as the Hutu massacre of the Tutsis begins, initiated with the radio signal “Cut down the tall trees,” the optimistic hotel manager believes with all his heart that the West will intervene. He reassures his Tutsi wife that all will be well.

He is proven wrong in the most painful way possible. Nick Nolte’s character, a disillusioned United Nations peacekeeper, blames racism for the Western apathy in the face of the ongoing mayhem.

As reality begins to crumble around him, Rusesabagina stays grounded in moral decency and virtue.

A few more items of note. The hauntingly beautiful score is filled with authentic regional music that all will appreciate. And because the film is not overly explicit in its depiction of violence, the audience is able to absorb the gravity of events without being inordinately repelled by the visuals.

This approach, hopefully, will allow people to translate circumstances in terms of the present and this time intervene where so desperately needed.

Like its gallant lead character, “Hotel Rwanda” uplifts and inspires. My prayer is that the film is seen, appreciated and duly recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    It's a bit late now don't you think?

I'm afraid that these days, if there are no TV cameras present to record events like this then is just hasn't happened. By contrast, the reason the tidal wave thing in the far east is so big is that the TV people are there in force. Well, it's easier to get too and all that damage makes GREAT TV doesn't it? Without the media circus we'd just read about it in the papers, tut tut, shake our heads, say 'ooh that sounds terrible' and turn to the sport pages. Which is just what happended in Rwanda, Saddam's Iraq etc etc etc.
    Don't underestimate the power of print and film. Remember when Blackhawk Down occurred in 1993? Nobody knew much about it at the time and then the book and movie came around and today there are very few who do not the story. Same goes with the heroics of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain at Gettysburg and the book The Killer Angels in 1973. That story only took 110 years to be widely known.

nuke, what did I say about nation and organisation bashing?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    nuke, what did I say about nation and organisation bashing?
    I thought it was relevant!

Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve
    Don't underestimate the power of print and film. Remember when Blackhawk Down occurred in 1993? Nobody knew much about it at the time and then the book and movie came around and today there are very few who do not the story. Same goes with the heroics of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain at Gettysburg and the book The Killer Angels in 1973. That story only took 110 years to be widely known.
    Again, that's too late to have an influence on a live event. Newspapers do a fair job, but sadly most people get their news from the TV, where real journalism gave way to sensationalism decades ago.