Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aiding and Abetting the Enemy: the Media in Iraq

This guy is right on point IMO. The media just doesn't cover anything good that the coalition is doing over in Iraq

Aiding and Abetting the Enemy: the Media in Iraq
    By LTC Tim Ryan, CO, 2/12 Cav, 1st Cav Div

What if domestic news outlets continually fed American readers headlines like: "Bloody Week on U.S. Highways: Some 700 Killed," or "More Than 900 Americans Die Weekly from Obesity-Related Diseases"? Both of these headlines might be true statistically, but do they really represent accurate pictures of the situations? What if you combined all of the negatives to be found in the state of Texas and used them as an indicator of the quality of life for all Texans? Imagine the headlines: "Anti-law Enforcement Elements Spread Robbery, Rape and Murder through Texas Cities." For all intents and purposes, this statement is true for any day of any year in any state. True -- yes, accurate -- yes, but in context with the greater good taking place -- no! After a year or two of headlines like these, more than a few folks back in Texas and the rest of the U.S. probably would be ready to jump off of a building and end it all. So, imagine being an American in Iraq right now.

*SNIP*
    Rest can be read here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2005/0..._and_abbe.html

Re: Aiding and Abetting the Enemy: the Media in Iraq

Here's the problem for you and your ilk, Andrew. We can apply the same reasoning to Islam.
    Last edited by Vihsadas; 01-15-2005 at 07:05 PM.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Nice strawman.

Nice strawman.
    Do you even know what that means, Andrew? Or are you just parroting what I said of you in that other thread?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Try keeping on topic for once. We're discussing article i posted which is about the media's terrible reporting of the situation in Iraq because they only focus on US actions that make us look bad and say nothing in regards to these insane acts of brutality, torture, etc commited by the insurgency/terrorists.

I hear about the bad things the insurgency is doing all the time on most news networks. This guy must have his head in the sand.
    Fox News watchers are less informed - The Proof

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by liteman
    I hear about the bad things the insurgency is doing all the time on most news networks. This guy must have his head in the sand.

So you heard about 200 beheaded Iraqi's in that Mosque in Sadr City? Or the people tortured to death? Or perhaps the people cooked in ovens because they were considered to be helping the Coalition?

Or how about the hundreds of thousnds of artillery shells, morters, etc found in Fallujah... and the 1200 terrorists killed by our troops?

Which news source. I want links if you're going to provide such a claim.

I read TONS of news every day and i never saw a thing aboutthe shit that went on at the hands of Al Sadr which we found after the invasion of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB
    I read TONS of news every day and i never saw a thing aboutthe shit that went on at the hands of Al Sadr which we found after the invasion of the area.
    if you never saw a thing about it, how did you know about it?

Abit NF7-S rev 2 - 1700+ tbred B @ 2.4 ghz - 512 mb OCZ PC3500EL - ATI 9800 Pro

"see it, believe it, never stop working to make it happen"

CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike
    if you never saw a thing about it, how did you know about it?

Ummmm, read the last 9 words he said. Answers your question....

I'm not sure if you've watched tv in the last few decades, but the media doesn't constantly report on good things that happen. They report on noteworthy items. Your local news will report on weather and local happenings such as crimes and political events. They also throw in things like people being ripped off and other general interest stories. They do not report on some guy driving to work with no event, someone getting a shower, someone doing their job all day, little Susie going to piano lessons, some guy paying a bill online, an old lady getting a book from the library, a traffic light changing, someone ordering lunch at a burger place, someone babysitting kids, someone doing their homework and a plethora of other things. They don't report this because it isn't anything of note and its routine. Also, they like to report things that people are interested in. I don't see anyone making any threads bitching about how the news media doesn't portray positive things in the US, so why would it be any different when it comes to international news?

The US didn't invade Iraq under the premises of being able to build bridges and schools. It was done under the guise of stopping someone from making WMD's that would be given to terrorists and used against the country. While I'm sure that Americans think it is not bad that schools and infrastructure are being built in Iraq, they really don't care that much. What they do worry about is young American men and women being shot or blown apart by resistance in that country.

The success of the mission in Iraq revolves around stabilizing the country and keeping our troops safe. As a result, what people care about are attacks on our troops and those Iraqis who are trying to keep things safe over there. I can see Lt. Ryan's point that the positive things that are happening in Iraq don't get equal news time, but I'm puzzled as to why anyone would be surprised that this wasn't given a more noteworthy portrayal in modern media. It wasn't too long ago that a former football player's murder trial was the biggest news item on the planet for the better part of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    I'm not sure if you've watched tv in the last few decades, but the media doesn't constantly report on good things that happen. They report on noteworthy items.

So.... you believe that the beheading of over 200 Iraqi people by Al Sadr and company is "good news"???

Figure it out... they only report things that are "anti-US".

The US didn't invade Iraq under the premises of being able to build bridges and schools. It was done under the guise of stopping someone from making WMD's that would be given to terrorists and used against the country. While I'm sure that Americans think it is not bad that schools and infrastructure are being built in Iraq, they really don't care that much. What they do worry about is young American men and women being shot or blown apart by resistance in that country.
    HOW DENSE ARE YOU BRO!!??!!?!? The NUMBER ONE REASON WE'RE THERE IS DUE TO SADDAMS COUNTLESS VIOLATIONS OF THE CEASE FIRE AGREEMENT, DESIRE TO POSESS AND USE OF ILLEGAL WEAPONS, AND FOR HIS ATROCITIES AGAINST MILLIONS OF PEOPLE>

READ THE 2002 GULF WAR RESOLUTION!!!!

I can see Lt. Ryan's point that the positive things that are happening in Iraq don't get equal news time, but I'm puzzled as to why anyone would be surprised that this wasn't given a more noteworthy portrayal in modern media. It wasn't too long ago that a former football player's murder trial was the biggest news item on the planet for the better part of a year.[/QUOTE]

The liberal news media would rather have hundreds of stories about a few rogue soldiers who "abused" prisoners instead of talking about the atrocities commited by our enemies who have cut off the heads of hundreds, tortured others to death, put people in ovens, etc.

Showing that would make the US resolve to get this country stable 100%.

But the Media is so biased that they'lll do anything to hurt the good guys in this situation (the US and our brave soldiers)

Everyone know what journalists are like, so handing the stories like Guantanamo Bay & Abu Graib is just asking for trouble. It's generally only on local news that positive events are covered. A new hospital opened, a cat rescued from a tree, a school play. I guess that's why it seems sickly sweet by comparison.

I don't think it's all to do with lefty or 'liberal' bias either. There do seem to be too many people who go into journalism out of some idealistic desire to change the world. That just aint going to happen. It would help if they got some real life experience in other lines of work before they became journos. It'd give them better objectivity for a start.

It also has to do with the ridiculous demands of 24hr rolling news. This has led them to concentrate on sensationalism to the detriment of real journalism. There's no time for investigation or fact checking. That's why they're quite happy to be led around by the propaganda departments of hostile governments. Something also pioneered by CNN.

TV by it's very nature is pretty vacuous. 'Chewing gum for the mind' someone once called it. It can't cover anything remotely technical without sounding ridiculously dumb. TV news is no different. We're lucky in the UK that our newspapers are of a fairly good quality and compensate somewhat. The number of times British newspaper articles are quoted here by all sides is testament to that.
    Last edited by Enmore; 01-17-2005 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB
    So you heard about 200 beheaded Iraqi's in that Mosque in Sadr City? Or the people tortured to death? Or perhaps the people cooked in ovens because they were considered to be helping the Coalition?

Or how about the hundreds of thousnds of artillery shells, morters, etc found in Fallujah... and the 1200 terrorists killed by our troops?

Which news source. I want links if you're going to provide such a claim.

How can journalists report anything at all if they will be taken hostage and perhaps beheaded? Iraq is so unsafe for foriegners now that they can't get outside of US protected areas to report either good or bad news unless they go with the US military in tow or have a death wish. Of course, it will generally be good news they report when they go out with the US marines or army.
    They can also report on large bombings, massacres of civilians, shootings of "collaborators", religious violence and attacks on US troops second hand or using video these "insurgent" people post on the net. This seems to be the favoured option - if it bleeds it leads.

I don't think anyone really knows whats going on in Iraq anymore except the people unfortunate enough to be there and outside in the open (not holed up in the Baghdad green zone).

Way to distort what I said Andrew. I don't recall saying that people being killed is good news. I do recall saying that it is, in your words, ******* noteworthy. Bad things like beheadings are more NEWSWORTHY than say some middle school being built in a city in Iraq that most Americans can't pronounce and/or don't even know where it is.

I'm not sure what they you are talking about there, but even your precious Fox Opinion spent a great deal of time reporting on the prison scandal in Iraq and does a good job of reporting on attacks by insurgents. Americans care MUCH more about how many of our men and women get killed as opposed to any body counts of the resistors in Iraq.

I'm not your brother, but I do have a clue. It is your that is in denial. The number one reason is 3 reason that have nothing to do with WMD's? NO, we are there because the Administration thought (or said they thought) that there were WMD's and an ongoing program of WMD's in Iraq. We did not invade because of any attrocities that were happening in Iraq or any oppression by any dictator in the country. Colin Powell did not go to to UN to make a case for attrocities against his people or any other reason except for WMD's.

The administration (and thus you of course) only started pushing the Iraqi Freedom angle after they realized that there were NO WMD's there. Do you remember your dozen or so posts falsely reporting they had found them only to discover that the reports were bogus?

I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say liberal news media. The mainstream media however has done plenty of reporting on the terrible things happening to troops, contractors and Iraqi authorities in the country. The media (including your darling Fox Opinion) also spent a great deal of time reporting on abuses in prisons. Americans generally think they are better than this and there were American soldiers convicted for their actions. Reporting on things like this are the job of the media.

What really is the problem? To me it seems like you don't want people to know what a mess that place is. Could it be that you realize how wrong the decision to go into Iraq was and you want people to be in denial?

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    What really is the problem?
    He wants the US mass media to be more like the media in China or the state media in the Arab world.