Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 115
  1. #61
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Quote Originally Posted by bser
    Examples? is this the socket 939 or socket 754 you speak of. From what I read when the 64 2800 was first released there wasn't much of a diff between that and the 3200, add on the fact that most mobile xp users are running at or near 2.6 Ghz then it puts a hurting on the 64 2800+ My thoughts are a 2.6 Ghz barton core chip when coupled with a high end GPU is more than plenty to play all new games at very impressive resolutions. Wait a year and grab a dual core chip, thats what I intend on doing, but then I'm more of a value minded enthusiast and not an extreme one.
    No it's not bro..at least not at "impressive resolutions" wtf is that anyway, 1200x1000? It's not..I have the best parts and my Mobile XP 2.6 got it's ass kicked by Doom3 at 1280x1024 with a Gigabyte X800XT at 550/550. I don't care what anyone has in their case..an XP at 2.6 is not good enough for games like Doom3 even with the best graphic card out. Now, if you're talking about 800x600, or 1024x768 then it might do it but no way at "impressive resolutions"..no way.

    It's just funny how people like to talk and offer info without facts. Not with you or anything it's just that you're wrong. Do the test yourself and you'll see. Turn AA to 4x and AF to 8x and then 1280x1024 (I assume that's impressive resolution) and go ahead and run Doom3 on an XP Barton or anything at 2.6 and watch it bleed trying to keep up. Why do you think I upgraded to A64? And I had some good numbers in benchmark etc. well over 20,000 in 3DMark, 23,000+ to be exact and it didn't run Doom3 like I expected.

    Just try it you'll see.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  2. #62
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    173

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    Sorry I don't play Doom3 but I do play CSS and its plays wonderfully with all setting maxed + 16x antialiasing, but only 1024x768 I don't like playing any higher as my moniter refresh rate seriously tails off. Btw my comments in the previous post were about an A64 2800 @1.8. Obviously clock per clock A64 is better and the fact that your argueing that is a little redundant. Is doom3 really that much more demanding than CSS? My frames rarely drop below 85 fps which is absolutly playable and I only have a 9800 pro coupled with my mobile xp. Is it worth the $$$$ to upgrade for maybe 15 fps? Not IMO.
    DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
    Mobile 2600
    Thermaltake 480 watt psu
    SLK 947 hs
    OCZ 3700 gold rev2
    Radeon 9800pro
    Seagate 120 ide
    WD 120 sata

  3. #63
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    Quote Originally Posted by bser
    Sorry I don't play Doom3 but I do play CSS and its plays wonderfully with all setting maxed + 16x antialiasing, but only 1024x768 I don't like playing any higher as my moniter refresh rate seriously tails off. Btw my comments in the previous post were about an A64 2800 @1.8. Obviously clock per clock A64 is better and the fact that your argueing that is a little redundant. Is doom3 really that much more demanding than CSS? My frames rarely drop below 85 fps which is absolutly playable and I only have a 9800 pro coupled with my mobile xp. Is it worth the $1000 upgrade for maybe 15 fps? Not IMO.
    Noo brother, I don't argue trust me. I got past that shit when I was 18. I'm just letting you know what I found out so far.

    I was going by this: "My thoughts are a 2.6 Ghz barton core chip when coupled with a high end GPU is more than plenty to play all new games at very impressive resolutions." You did say 2.6 BARTON CORE chip didn't you? I don't miss too many my man. Lol, my life used to depend on being aware and picking little details.

    What I'm trying to say is that "your thoughts" are wrong or innacurate don't take it personal it's not an assault on you, honestly.

    You just told me that you didn't play Doom3 (or that you don't go above 1024x768) so how would you know if a 2.6 Barton Core chip is more than plenty to play all new games at high resolutions? I believe "high" or "impressive" resolutions means 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 since not too many upgrade or oc to play 1024x768..does that make sense, do you see what I'm getting at? If I'm wrong let me know perhaps I'm reading wrong somewhere or maybe your defenition of "new games" or "high resolutions" differs from mine. Is that CSS a newer one?

    In case you didn't know even games like Farcry are old Nes "Tecmo Bowl" game compared to Doom3 when it comes to taxing a system. I had no problems running FarCry at all with the previous setup and a watercooled X800XT or even the 9800Pro but Doom3 was a complete different story with 1280x1024 4x AA and 8X AF.

    I don't play Doom3 at all, my cousin is the one that plays all those new games. I'm a AOE II: Conquerors addict and war, strategy sims and Football and Baseball 100%. The thing is I had my system overclocked and my cousin showed up to play Doom3 after I got it for him and after 5 min. it crashed and I thought it was the game but I backed the OC down and it worked. After that I've been heavily using it for stability testing with everything on and it works very well for that.

    And I agree, it's not worth to upgrade for just 15 FPS but I got alot more than that by upgrading and not only that..it just ran real smooth and it didn't skip.
    Last edited by StanRoman; 01-27-2005 at 11:42 PM.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  4. #64
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    I recently upgraded from a Barton 2600 to A64 3000 (754) and about the only thing I play (more like train with) is Flight Simulator. I have to say that for me, the difference is pretty substantial. I run at 1600 x 1200, 4xAA and 4xAF and before with my OC 2600 Barton I was strugling in "graphically" densed areas, getting at times about 6 -8 fps. Now I get about 20fps in the same areas and things are a lot more fluid. That's more than 50% increase with the new CPU and MB, same memory.

  5. #65
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Quote Originally Posted by pev
    I recently upgraded from a Barton 2600 to A64 3000 (754) and about the only thing I play (more like train with) is Flight Simulator. I have to say that for me, the difference is pretty substantial. I run at 1600 x 1200, 4xAA and 4xAF and before with my OC 2600 Barton I was strugling in "graphically" densed areas, getting at times about 6 -8 fps. Now I get about 20fps in the same areas and things are a lot more fluid. That's more than 50% increase with the new CPU and MB, same memory.
    Yes, that's the difference there..that "more fluid" part. Everything just runs nice and it doesn't stop or skip in some areas. Doom3 would skip or pause for about 1 sec. everytime a new door was opened and a monster was there. If you go into a new area and throw a grenade to flush monsters out the grenade would pause for a bit before landing and things like that.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  6. #66
    Joined
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Difference between AXP and A64, running clock for clock roughly.

    System1: mbarton2600@205x11=2.21Ghz, 512MB ram 2-2-2-5, 9800pro 430/370, 7200rpm WD hdd. Said system runs Doom3 about 18fps at 1024x768 w/2xAA 4xAF, also gets about 19k on 3dm01
    System 2 A64 3200+ 1mb cache@ 215x10=2150mhz, 512MB ram 3-4-4-8 9800np 470/365 7200rpm SATA drive gets about 24fps at same settings, and about 22k on 3dm01. System 1 has a slight advantage on clocks, a big advantage of tight memory settings, and a slightly slower gpu. Still gets owned. Thats the difference of a A64.
    3v1l l337
    Athlon X2 3800+ @2.6 GHz 1.4 vcore
    TT Big Typhoon
    2x512 DDR 400 2.5-3-3-7 1T@ 216MHz
    Evga NF4 Mobo (rebranded jetway)
    evga 7800GT@stock currently
    80GB SATA


    Dreams are like appendixes. Utterly useless, and rarely deadly...


    WTS "WANG" x1 PST

  7. #67
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Quote Originally Posted by l3p3r_M355i4h
    Difference between AXP and A64, running clock for clock roughly.

    System1: mbarton2600@205x11=2.21Ghz, 512MB ram 2-2-2-5, 9800pro 430/370, 7200rpm WD hdd. Said system runs Doom3 about 18fps at 1024x768 w/2xAA 4xAF, also gets about 19k on 3dm01
    System 2 A64 3200+ 1mb cache@ 215x10=2150mhz, 512MB ram 3-4-4-8 9800np 470/365 7200rpm SATA drive gets about 24fps at same settings, and about 22k on 3dm01. System 1 has a slight advantage on clocks, a big advantage of tight memory settings, and a slightly slower gpu. Still gets owned. Thats the difference of a A64.
    If you were to add a X800XT to both of those..the A64 would really out do it..by far. On the other hand the Barton with or without X800XT would still choke. That game doesn't f*#$ around..it's a monster. Hell, I still can't believe it when I see it with everything turned on. It's just amazing.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  8. #68
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Age
    54
    Posts
    42

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Barton 2500 @215x10.5, ram at 2.5-3-3-11
    Geforce 6800 GT @400Mhz/1.1Ghz

    Doom3 timedemo demo1

    1 37.4fps
    2 49.7fps
    3 49.6fps
    4 49.7fps

    1024x768, 4xAA
    Last edited by binary_boy; 01-29-2005 at 09:29 AM.
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core
    1GB Patriot PC3200 w/XBL TCCD
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG Geforce 6800GT
    Antec NeoPower 480Watt PSU
    Watercooled

  9. #69
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,517

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Quote Originally Posted by binary_boy
    Barton 2500 @215x10.5, ram at 2.5-3-3-11
    Geforce 6800 GT @400Mhz/1.1Ghz

    Doom3 timedemo demo1

    1 37.4fps
    2 49.7fps
    3 49.6fps
    4 49.7fps
    you are pretty bottlenecked
    Phenom 9850 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | Biostar 790gx | Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB | Asus Radeon HD4870 512MB | Antec NeoHe 550 | Soyo 26" lcd

  10. #70
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Quote Originally Posted by binary_boy
    Barton 2500 @215x10.5, ram at 2.5-3-3-11
    Geforce 6800 GT @400Mhz/1.1Ghz

    Doom3 timedemo demo1

    1 37.4fps
    2 49.7fps
    3 49.6fps
    4 49.7fps

    1024x768, 4xAA
    A Demo is not the real game bro. Play the real game and see if you still get those FPSs. Besides, anything less than 60 fps in that game is a slowdown and skip fest.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  11. #71
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    173

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    we get it stan you don't like the xp chips.......
    well I do so fact of the matter is its not the antique you make it out to be, is A64 better? Well yes, of course. Does someone need to spend the money upgrading from a mobile barton that does 2.5+ when dual core chips are right around the corner??? Thats a question of how much extra money you have lying around, and if your willing to spend 500 dollars on an upgrade to play one game, kinda expensive game then eh?
    DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
    Mobile 2600
    Thermaltake 480 watt psu
    SLK 947 hs
    OCZ 3700 gold rev2
    Radeon 9800pro
    Seagate 120 ide
    WD 120 sata

  12. #72
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Age
    54
    Posts
    42

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    at 11x213 the game runs perfectly smooth even when opening doors at 1024x768 and 4xAA
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core
    1GB Patriot PC3200 w/XBL TCCD
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG Geforce 6800GT
    Antec NeoPower 480Watt PSU
    Watercooled

  13. #73
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Age
    54
    Posts
    42

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 300

    Same timedemo run in Linux - Slackware 10.0, stock graphics card settings, 11x213

    1) 47.9
    2) 63.2
    3) 62.9
    4) 62.9

    1024x768 4XAA
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core
    1GB Patriot PC3200 w/XBL TCCD
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG Geforce 6800GT
    Antec NeoPower 480Watt PSU
    Watercooled

  14. #74
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    Quote Originally Posted by bser
    we get it stan you don't like the xp chips.......
    well I do so fact of the matter is its not the antique you make it out to be, is A64 better? Well yes, of course. Does someone need to spend the money upgrading from a mobile barton that does 2.5+ when dual core chips are right around the corner??? Thats a question of how much extra money you have lying around, and if your willing to spend 500 dollars on an upgrade to play one game, kinda expensive game then eh?
    Hahah..I like the XPs they gave me alot of OC for cheap. Is it worth upgrading, no..defenitely not and specially for one game like you said. I upgraded only because I wanted to switch over. I didn't just upgrade for Doom3 which I never really play.

    Yes, expensive game if you upgrade for just that.

    What cost me the most was the X800XT..now that's expensive..BS but I had a nice little 6 team parlay card hit (football bet only $5 got me $250) that paid $250 so I figured I'd throw the rest in and get that.

    The cpu was $185 and the board $130..damn..$280, $270, $250 and $270 on ram..$500 for the X800XT..wtf? Hey, cheaper than getting another rifle and class3 work for it.


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

  15. #75
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Buying an OC friendly A64. Is there any reason to buy anything greater than a 3000+?

    Quote Originally Posted by binary_boy
    at 11x213 the game runs perfectly smooth even when opening doors at 1024x768 and 4xAA
    Ahh... those doors were already open!


    You eat beaver?
    May I ask where you live that beaver is eaten?
    Originally posted by POCI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •