Normally I Would...

Agree with the death penalty in cases of severe crime but in this case I make an exception. I say give this guy life. Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4134702/detail.html

Re: Normally I Would...

^^^I wondered myself when I read the story. I puzzle at the implied message. I think its safe to assume this character faces some " mental health issues" that cast this case into a different category. I dont see the value of making the case more involved/costly than it needs to be somehow.
    Of course this assumes the death penalty has some deterrant effect.
    So the message becomes"Be warned potential suicide victims...you kill anyone in the process and were gonna kill you"
    Great message. Why not just send an invite.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-27-2005 at 12:10 PM.

I think the judgement shoud lie with the "intent" of the perpetrator. Was his "intent" to kill 11 people? Or was it to kill himself? Did he do something horrbily wrong, and punishbale? Of course. But I feel that if society is going to dish out the death penalty, it should only be reserved for people who have developed a malice toward their victims, and have calculated their crimes. For those people who truly wish harm and have done extreme harm to others.

Agree. Of all the things difficult to prove.."intent" often finds itself on top of the list. We try and prove intent via physical evidence which may or may not suggest/prove whats going on in someone's head. With this guy? Its really difficult to know. The defense will argue he changed his mind and wasnt sane/responsible. The prosecution will try and prove that his actions showed malice. Their arguement fails because that demands a level of sanity. I think.
    Some of his actions seem to indicate confusion and panic...that we dont associate with a malicious killer.

My issue is with this facet of the case

"Under state law, special circumstances allegations could make a defendant eligible for the death penalty."
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-27-2005 at 01:04 PM.

if he was suicidal maybe there doing him a favour

We should let him live if he wants to die. Same thing the other way around. If he wants to life we should execute him.

But though, in this case, he does deserve to die. He purposely drove his car intending to hurt somebody, and should be punished accordingly for it. Too bad you can execute somebody 11 times

Well, he intended to hurt himself, not the 11 people.

If you intend to hurt yourself, you get a hose and attach it from your muffler to the interior of your car, give or take $8. If you have a garage, you don't even have to spend that much.

Although as sad as it is that someone needs to commit suicide, it does not give them the right take other people with them. You can pair this guy almost with the screwed up coworker who kills a few supervisors and then kills himself.
    Abit NF7-S v2 (not overclocked)
    AMD XP3000
    2XCrucial 512MB PC3200
    ATI 9800 PRO 128MB
    Antec 430W True Power
    Hitachi 250GB Deskstar
    Hitachi 80GB Deskstar
    NEC 2510A 8X DVD
    Dell 2001FP

Execute the POS.

Saying that this guy didn't "intend" to hurt others is like saying someone who intentionally hits another car head on at 100mph and killed someone "only intended to kill himself".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB
    Execute the POS.

Saying that this guy didn't "intend" to hurt others is like saying someone who intentionally hits another car head on at 100mph and killed someone "only intended to kill himself".
    I partially agree with you. Those arguing "intent" fail to realize that in some cases intent is only part of the issue. Negligence is another issue and this guy was extremely negligent. At the very least he knew he was going to cause property damage. Why not just back up or drive the car forward, why just jump out and leave?

However, I seriously disagree with you on giving him death. The guy caused 11 people to die by attempting such a stupid form of suicide. There are too many people that always want to take someone else with them, or involve them, when they decide that they don't want to live anymore. Make the guy suffer. Give him life in jail and make him live to realize the stupidity of his actions and the harm it caused.

Give him life in jail

^^^AKA death penalty. There isnt really a practical distinction[in Calif]. Just the cost of the trial....and how he is housed. Why spend the $$ on a complex trial. Park him and forget him.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-27-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    Agree with the death penalty in cases of severe crime but in this case I make an exception. I say give this guy life. Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4134702/detail.html
    I disagree, I have no pity for him. The fact that he chose to kill himself is irrelevant, he chose to do so with a train, he also knowingly placed it on the tracks knowing that people (even if he believed it to be occupied by engineers), in any case he also had to know that his action would result in death of at least another, as well as some life changing serious injury. He also "changed" his mind, the biggest point of someone wishing to take one's life is they don't hesitate, nor change their minds, those who do change their minds are usually reaching out for help (or so goes the concensus), he changed his mind. He may've changed his mind, but he left the vehicle on the tracks,sorry but they should condemn him to life imprisonment or the death penalty - if the death penalty is justified by law then they should persue it.