Connecting Front Panel To MotherBoard

I ask the same questions in case forum and this would apply to the A8V if using the same case. I hope that I can get this system up and running for my sister this weekend.

Here is what I got. Enermax CS-517AL case and Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe motherboard.

The connectors of the front panel are labeled different (some) and too many connectors or not enought to hook up to the USB ports (2), 1394 port, and audio ports.

Connecting MIC
    Motherboard pins
    MIC2, MICPWR, Line out R, line out L, and ground
    No problem with the line out R, L, and ground but the fornt panel connector for the MIC is labeled MIC IN. What pin does this one go to, MIC2 or MICPWR?

Connecting 1394
    The ground connectors are the problem.
    There are 3 pins on the motherboard and 4 connector for the front panel labeled VG 2 each and GND 2 each. What one would be left not connected. All other connectors ok or should I connect the 2 GND together and the 2 VG together?

Connecting the 2 USB ports
    Motherboard has USB +5v and I think that the front panel connector VCC 1 & 2 goes to it (need to confirm).
    Here is the pin layout on thre morherboard, the . will be the pin

USB+5v . .USb+5v
    xxxxUSB-. .USB-
    xxxxUSB+. .USB+
    xxxxxGND. .GND
    xxxxxxxxx .NC (Xs are for spacing only)

The problem is each of the USB ports has 2 grounds labeled GND and GND 1 & 2 Total of 4 grounds. As you can see there are only 2 pins on the motherboard for these connectors.

On the grounds of the USB ports, should I connect the 2 ground of each together (USB Port 1 GND to GND 1 and the same for port 2)? I read the sticky but what ground would you leave not hooked up (case forum)?
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...iet-coup/7364/

Must see video
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-money-masters/

If workers are more insecure, that's very healthy for the society, because if workers are insecure they won't ask for wages, they won't go on strike, they won't call for benefits;, they'll serve the masters gladly and passively, And that's optimal for corporations.

Alan Greenspan

Re: Connecting Front Panel To MotherBoard

MIC2, MICPWR, Line out R, line out L, and ground
    No problem with the line out R, L, and ground but the fornt panel connector for the MIC is labeled MIC IN. What pin does this one go to, MIC2 or MICPWR?
    Should go to Mic2. Micpwr is voltage for a microphone that needs excitation voltage.
    You would then select mic2 or alternate mic in your mixer for this input.

Connecting 1394
    The ground connectors are the problem.
    There are 3 pins on the motherboard and 4 connector for the front panel labeled VG 2 each and GND 2 each. What one would be left not connected. All other connectors ok or should I connect the 2 GND together and the 2 VG together?
    Looking at the manual for your chassis, there appears to be a misprint ...it shows VG as power on one and ground on the other. Normally VP would be power, and VG would be ground
    http://www.enermax.com.tw/download/CS-517Manual.pdf
    Do you have VP wires ?
    Otherwise I would connect the VG's to ground, along with one of the other gnd wires. The 2 GND wires are probably common and connect together on the front panel, you could test this with a multimeter.
    Have to be careful though because of the mix up on that drawing....do you have VP wires ?

Connecting the 2 USB ports
    Motherboard has USB +5v and I think that the front panel connector VCC 1 & 2 goes to it (need to confirm).
    Here is the pin layout on thre morherboard, the . will be the pin

USB+5v . .USb+5v
    xxxxUSB-. .USB-
    xxxxUSB+. .USB+
    xxxxxGND. .GND
    xxxxxxxxx .NC (Xs are for spacing only)

The problem is each of the USB ports has 2 grounds labeled GND and GND 1 & 2 Total of 4 grounds. As you can see there are only 2 pins on the motherboard for these connectors.

On the grounds of the USB ports, should I connect the 2 ground of each together (USB Port 1 GND to GND 1 and the same for port 2)? I read the sticky but what ground would you leave not hooked up (case forum)?
    VCC1 and VCC2 are the +5v .
    I would connect up the GND1 and GND2. Again the grounds might all end up being common or connected on the front chassis.
    Last edited by CMB; 01-29-2005 at 03:35 PM.
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

Got er Done

Thanx
    Falcon
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...iet-coup/7364/

Must see video
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-money-masters/

If workers are more insecure, that's very healthy for the society, because if workers are insecure they won't ask for wages, they won't go on strike, they won't call for benefits;, they'll serve the masters gladly and passively, And that's optimal for corporations.

Alan Greenspan

#1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home