Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Project: E=MC^2

Re: Project: E=MC^2

Well it's been nearly a month since i last updated here but like with so many other things its all down to funds and time. But i've managed to save a few pennies and get the final few bits to finish off the cooling side of the project. Namely a performance fan shroud, 2 panaflo fans and a tec gpu water block

The only thing i forgot to do was charge up the batteries or even buy some to get some pics of the installation and so on, but hey no ones perfect....

What i did manage to do was charge the batteries over night and get some pics of the case with all the new parts now installed. With one or two minor things left to do this is nearly the end of the project and with summer on its way and me thinking of sunnier places plus my sisters wedding to attend the new project won't be started until late september but at least it will give me something to look forward to and hopefully a few here will be looking forward to it as well.

Just to give a rough idea though. The case will be built from scratch this time. Its to hold two prommies as well as two motherboards. One for gaming and one as a file server. Parts from the case i have now like tec unit, mobo and so on will be salvaged and used to keep the cost down but as for the rest its a case of build of buy.

Anyway back to what I'm here for and thats the update....

The performance shroud wasn't going to be fitted originally due to it not being available. The original idea was to use 2 cheap fans and use the housing as spacers which would have only been 20mm plus the panaflo fans. With the shroud being 40mm off the rad it meant reworking the divider which now needs replacing. Still only a minor thing and at 5 a sheet of the aluminum not a costly mod to do.

Apart from all the extra wiring that needs some attention the mobo side of the case is looking good. I've now replaced the standard DD gpu water block with a tec one and i'm getting good temps for both the CPU and GPU. Both the tecs are running off the same meanwell psu but i've dropped the voltage down to 11.40v to make sure i'm not over straining the unit. I'm not sure of the CPU temp at idle due to the DFI board bios temp bottoming out after 0c but the temp probe under the coldplate drops to -19c. The GPU on the otherhand does show and its -4c at idle and goes to about 18c when gaming. Thats with the card OC'd from 425Mhz / 400Mhz to 535Mhz / 535Mhz. I think for a X800SE its a reasonable OC

Final pics are of the DVD Drive which i finally got around to painting black so it doesn't stand out so much.

So that about wraps it up for the time being. With just the minor things to do like paint the mesh, add some lights, tidy up the wiring and general stuff its basically finished. When i've done the final few bits i'll post up some final shots of the case for all the see.

Perfection in an imperfect world is imperfection in its self...... ?

Thumbs up Re: Project: E=MC^2

Dread, that project kicks some serious buttocks! Thanks for the latest update, looking forward to more when you get the time mate!
    take care

Krew

AthlonXP-M 2600+ AQYHA (200FSB x 12= 2.4Ghz @ 1.65 volts) / WinXP Home Edition SP2 / Giga-Byte GA-7NNXP (NF2-400 Ultra Chipset) w/ F18 BIOS / Win XP / x2 512Mb PC3200 DDR RAM (dual channel mode) / AIW 9600XT w/128Mb DDR RAM w/ Cat 4.5 / SB Audigy2 ZS (PCI slot 3) Nvidia NIC on a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL Router & Cable Modem / Qty-2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB, IDE-3, ATA 100 (Master-Slave) / Qty-2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200 GB, IDE-4, ATA 100 (Master-Slave) / Lite-On LTR CD-R/RW 48x, IDE-1, ATA 33 (Slave) / Kenwood True-X72 CD-ROM, IDE-2, ATA 33 (Master) / Lite-On DVD-R/RW 8x, IDE-2, ATA 66 (Slave) / ViewSonic VG800 18" LCD Monitor / HP OffieJet 6110xi All-In-One, Flatbed Scanner w/ADF, Printer, Fax / Logitech Cordless Elite Keyboard, on PS/2 port / Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse, on PS/2 Port / Antec SX1030 case w/ CUSTOM paint job and x4 Pabst case fans w/350Watt Enermax silent power supply / Klipsch Pro Media 4.1 speakers @ 400 WATTS BABY!!

damn, awesome. What are cpu load temps?
    Phenom 9850 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | Biostar 790gx | Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB | Asus Radeon HD4870 512MB | Antec NeoHe 550 | Soyo 26" lcd

sweatness . . . that is all i can say!!
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Thermalright SK-7 + TT Smart Fan II
    Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 v1
    2 x 512mb OCZ PC3200 Premiere Dual Channel
    WD740 || WD2500 || Seagate 120 GB 7200.7
    BFG 6800GT OC 256mb || Artic Cooling Silencer 5
    Audigy ES
    Xoxide X-Turbine (Black) - Antec TRUE550

retan14 AT frontiernet DOT net

Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf732
    damn, awesome. What are cpu load temps?
    CPU under load is 25c-ish. A lot depends on room temp and the fact that both tecs are undervolated from the 13.5 the psu will give to 11.4volts. So i'm not getting the temps i'd really like but its still cooler that just a standard waterblock

Quote Originally Posted by moreDread
    CPU under load is 25c-ish. A lot depends on room temp and the fact that both tecs are undervolated from the 13.5 the psu will give to 11.4volts. So i'm not getting the temps i'd really like but its still cooler that just a standard waterblock
    nice nb at all, I would have thought tec's do lower but that still isnt bad. GJ
    Phenom 9850 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | Biostar 790gx | Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB | Asus Radeon HD4870 512MB | Antec NeoHe 550 | Soyo 26" lcd

Well something i wasn't going to be doing for some time has come round a little quicker. And that would be fitting a Mach I prommi. But to do it i've had to hack up my old case so i can fit it all. One advantage is i can now move the pump and relay out of sight. The disadvantage is there is no way i will be able to pick the case up due to weight

the old case as it was

and after i've attacked it with a drill and jigsaw

And attached to the prommi casing

Well the prommi's fitted but not without its headaches. The main one being after fitting everything back in and pressing the start - nothing, not a peep, not even a fan movement. So i took out the mobo, everything looked fine, refitted and it fired up without a hitch. I guess its gremlins in the works :s

A few pics for you to browse over are in order though....

Mobo out the system and the neoprene cleaned off. A slight touch of moister was found but nothing that concerned me.

The pics below just follow the installation of the AMD64 conversion kit for the nVentiv Mach I Prommi,

The rest of these are of the case as it stands now... At some point i need to make a front cover the same as the main case plus rebolt the case to the prommi as its slightly off.

Other things done though were the moving of the pump, re-routing the tubing to the gpu block and moving the relay. But now i need to sleeve more wires and general tidy of the case.

OMFG

Dang, how much will that weigh??? You'll need a hand cart to move it!!!
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Thermalright SK-7 + TT Smart Fan II
    Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 v1
    2 x 512mb OCZ PC3200 Premiere Dual Channel
    WD740 || WD2500 || Seagate 120 GB 7200.7
    BFG 6800GT OC 256mb || Artic Cooling Silencer 5
    Audigy ES
    Xoxide X-Turbine (Black) - Antec TRUE550

retan14 AT frontiernet DOT net

Man wait tell me the total time without waiting just in working hours how long it took u to make that. I could do something like that litereally I GOT LOTS OF welding material, lots of alluminum, steal, tools, too use. My father is a awesom carpenter he is so much I can use. I might do that if it appeals to me by the time.
    Just Updated this thing not too long ago
    XFX 8200 Motherboard
    5200+ X2 Athlon with Stock Fan
    XFX 9600 GT Video Card
    2 x 1 gig Corsair 8500 sticks. Memory
    750 Watt PSU ULTRA LSP
    300 gig RAPTOR 10k RPM?