Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: E=MC^2

Project: E=MC^2

Ok here's a project thats underway at the moment. Mainly the keep me sain and to give the gray matter something to do. Its called Project UnKnown mainly due to some factors that are unknown to me. The first being Pelts and the second being joining of 2 cases to become one. As time goes by you'll get to see the progress but due to cash and working long hours this project will take time.

The consept.... This was just a very rough sketch of my idea.

After a lot of searching the net and searching of the pockets i went for 2 cheap cases. By cheap i mean 40 for the 2 and here's what i went for.

The cases arrived a few days later and i was shocked...

Even for 20 each they were badly made. The case thats been dismantled had a broken hinge which ment the door was hanging off, the USB port cover was in the bottom of the box and just generally a poor build. Its a good job i don't intent on using them as they are.

Here is a LCD that i will be using. The only bit i need though is the temp monitor. The time, power and fan parts will be masked out. As i'm using a pelt to cool the cpu the temp probe will prove useful, just to make sure the pelt is working when its turned on.

This will be the water cooling / pelt side of the case. I've taken out everything i could to allow for room. Once the cases have been joined there will be a sheet of alu to zone off the Tec-PSU from the rad.

This is the Mobo side of the case. The only things to be put here will be a couple of low speed 120mm fans, optical drives and the mobo. In theory it should keep things very cool.

Perfection in an imperfect world is imperfection in its self...... ?

Re: Project: E=MC^2

nice nice, keep us updated.
    Did you get those cases off ebuyer? if so they are really badly made lol. I got a case from there for 30 and slipped and I could see my bone through my muscle. It didnt hurt for a few minutes, then almighty pain kicked in. watch yourself on them.

BTW, nice plan

A rough idea of what it should look like after. The front will be changed with the aid of car body filler and mesh but you'll have to wait for that.

And a view from the watercooling/pelt side... Lots of room

The start of the hacking up.... How i enjoy this bit

With all the jigsaw work done on this side of the case it was time to fill in all the holes i didn't need. The ones that will not be seen will not be sanded down, mainly cuz i'm lazy like that.

This is as far as i've got though, i'm waiting for a pop-rivet gun and dremel spares to arrive before i can complete the modding of the cases. The rest will be due to money so it looks like some serious overtime is going to be done

Quote Originally Posted by Rickikaye69
    nice nice, keep us updated.
    Did you get those cases off ebuyer? if so they are really badly made lol. I got a case from there for 30 and slipped and I could see my bone through my muscle. It didnt hurt for a few minutes, then almighty pain kicked in. watch yourself on them.

BTW, nice plan
    No these were in the sin-bin at a local shop in birmingham... They should have stayed there but i like the challenge and if nothin else it will give lots of peeps a laugh over the next few weeks... seeing me struggle lol

Well the Dremel spares and pop-riveter arrived at last and i've been a little busy with the one side of the case.

I also popped in to the local electrical supplies to get a relay switch which will be used for the pump and Tec-PSU. It works out a lot cheaper than 2 separate switches that run off the PCI's, takes up less room and will let me add 2 other devices in the future. i.e. Another PSU

Anyway a few more pic's to show were i'm at and more to follow soon....

These are after pop-riveting the panels and cutting the holes ready for the fans, rad and such.

Ok now i know this looks strange and some will be scratching there heads thinking "He's just cut holes and now filled them". This was the reasoning behind it. I needed to panel the back and then get it all flush but cutting the holes after would have been a right nightmare so what i've done is use a mesh over the panel, used masking tape on the back and covered with car body filler. The P38 stuff. Once its all been sanded flat i'll remove the tape and cut through the mesh and P38 which is easier than P38, mesh and panel.... Method in the madness.

This is the mesh used. Very flexible and easy to work with

This is the relay. It runs off the 12V line from the PSU and you can run 4 lines through it. For 8 its a good bargain.

Great project!! Are you doing that in a carpeted room? lol my head would be on a platter if I tried that!
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Thermalright SK-7 + TT Smart Fan II
    Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 v1
    2 x 512mb OCZ PC3200 Premiere Dual Channel
    WD740 || WD2500 || Seagate 120 GB 7200.7
    BFG 6800GT OC 256mb || Artic Cooling Silencer 5
    Audigy ES
    Xoxide X-Turbine (Black) - Antec TRUE550

retan14 AT frontiernet DOT net

Quote Originally Posted by Pete84
    Great project!! Are you doing that in a carpeted room? lol my head would be on a platter if I tried that!
    Yeah its carpeted but its in need of replacement which will be done as soon as the project is finished Other wise my head will be on a platter

nice,keep up teh good work

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Dude pretty sweet for a couple of pos cases^_^.

Well more has been done today. I've been going mad with the P38 again and now the 2 cases are joined... So i suppose its now ONE case. You'll see from the pictures whats been done but also how much more needs to be done :blink:

Ok first up is the front view. I've cut back the plastic fronts to allow the air to flow into the case better and also to allow easy access to the drive bays for the CD and LCD (Still working on a solution to the LCD but its getting there). When the front has been filled with P38 i'll cover with the mesh from O-Cuk shop, cut out the holes for the drive bays and use the cut offs to stealth the drive fronts

From the back view. Lots of sanding needs to be done here and a hole cut for a fan were the PSU would have been.

The 2 side views. I'm still waiting for the lexon to be cut to section off the 2 halfs.

And finally from the top. Lots more sanding to be done here too.

Once all the filling and sanding is finished it will be down to a paint job but still not sure of the colour i want. I think the main shell will have to be black, mainly because the panels will be covered in accoustic foam to keep the noise down and that tends to be black.
    So its the panels that will be the hard choice. Still i have lots of time to decide.
    Last edited by moreDread; 02-07-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Nice!!! How did you connect the two cases? screws, rivets . . . ? How hard and strong does the P38 filler get?
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Audigy ES

Nice project so far, I am anxious to see the finished product.

I guess that P38 filler would be the equivalent of bondo auto body filler over here. Pretty mainstream stuff where I come from up here in the road salt capital of the world

Keep the updates coming!

Except for dings from wayward shopping carts and rocks from the many gravel country roads, there aren't to many uses for body filler in Northern California.

What is this "road salt" you speak of??

Wonder if we'll have another 70 degree day today . . .
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Audigy ES

Quote Originally Posted by Pete84
    Nice!!! How did you connect the two cases? screws, rivets . . . ? How hard and strong does the P38 filler get?

The cases are joined by Bolt > spacer > nut and then filler between to strengthen it all. As for the hardness of P38 it depends on how much hardener you put in. I tend not to put to much in cuz it sets to quick for my liking but its hard enough to keep things bonded and also easy to sand down.

Cool project, looking forward to the final product