K7V D+ Mod Instructions

SOYO K7V DRAGON PLUS/TBRED CPU CHIP MODS
    PAGE 1 UPDATED FEB 2005

These modifications, when performed correctly, will add some new life to the aging Soyo K7V Dragon Plus (KT266A) motherboards. The original C130 cap info was given to me by a Soyo employee at the time. I've had many contacts with Soyo over the years, but with the recent company reorganization, sadly, most have gone on to other employment. The ELC28 information is the result of my own testing with dozens of K7V boards and cpu chips. The most asked question I see is: what cpu chip is best to use after these mods are done?

Any Thoroughbred core or Barton core chip will function after these mods are done. However, in order for the chip to run at its rated speed or beyond in the case of overclocking, it MUST have a default multiplier value of 13 or higher and be unlocked. In late 2003, AMD started to lock the multiplier value on all of its XP chips to prevent "remarking" by shady vendors. How do you tell if the multiplier will be locked on a given chip? You will need to examine the OPN code on the chip itself to decode the week/year of manufacture. Every XP cpu has a paper sticker placed on the top side of the chip (may be black or white) with 2 lines of digits. Here is an example of what you should find:
    1st line:AXDA3000DKV4D - contains the general chip info (speed, cache, voltage, etc).
    2nd line:AQZFA 0336WPMW - indicates the "stepping" (AQZF) and the model Tbred (A).
    Also in this line is the important date code you need to determine if you will have access to multiplier adjustments. The 4 numbers after the stepping code are the date code. 0336 indicates a chip that was produced during the 36th week of the year 2003. This chip is unlocked and works very well once the board is modified. You would setup the cpu in bios to run at a FSB of 133, not auto/default, and adjust the multiplier value to 16, and you end up with a chip that runs at a speed of 2132mhz. The new chips with locked multipliers appeared with a date code of 0338 and later. So in order to ensure you get a chip with an unlocked 13X multiplier, you are looking for an XP chip with a date code of 0337 or lower. Web vendors such as Newegg no longer carry these older chips, rather the new locked chips are all that are available for sale. The odds of finding one of the older unlocked chips keeps going down as time passes on. While the new locked multiplier chips will still function in a modded D+ board, the multiplier will not be adjustable and the max speed you can expect will be 133.3 X the default locked multiplier value of the chip being used.
    If you are planning to run a 3000+ Barton chip in your modified D+ board be careful: AMD has also released a 400fsb version of the Barton 3000+ chip. Since this new model has a locked multiplier of 10.5, it should NOT be considered for use.

The only other cpu option available at this time are the mobile XP chips that AMD introduced last year. These will also work with a modded K7V board, BUT you must perform a cpu socket pin mod in order to get access to the higher value multipliers. Here is a photo of how to apply the pin mod to the top side of the cpu socket:
    http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploade...ket-multis.jpg (thanks SP)
    Keep in mind, that once the pin mod is done, you will only have access to 1 multipler set; either the lower set (5 to 12), or the higher set (13 to 24). You won't have access to both sets at the same time. I ran a mobile 2500+ chip in my D+ board at 133 x 17 = 2266mhz for several days without issues. Vcore was set to 1.7V in the bios and the PC Health screen displayed a cpu temp of 47c after an hour of use. With only locked XP chips for sale now, a mobile 2500/2600 cpu with the pin mod is your best bet of running 2 gig or more in a D+ board.

With that out of the way, on to the board modifications themselves. While not too difficult to perform, these mods require some basic soldering skills. If you are all thumbs when working with small electronic devices, then I strongly suggest you enlist the help of someone who is more skilled working with electronic parts. Neither I nor PC Perspective will be held responsible for any damage you or someone else causes by sloppy soldering work. I have performed these mods on over 5+ dozen K7V boards and all have worked fine. Before you begin, go to the Soyo website and download bios version 2BA8 or 2BA9. You MUST use either version in order for the mods to work correctly. I strongly suggest that you flash your current bios with your original cpu chip installed, BEFORE any mods are attempted. This way, you can be sure the board is still working OK before the board is disturbed and any solder work is done. I use bios version 2BA8 in my D+ units because it ID's the mobile cpu chips as "Athlon XP" instead of displaying an "unknown CPU type".
    I did the mobile cpu tests with version 2BA8 installed; 2BA9 may or may not work as well.

UPDATE : March, 2010---The Soyo web sites are no longer available for bios downloads. If you would like bios version 2BA8, contact me and I can email it.

I have a jpeg that shows the work area on the board; PM me and I can send it along.
    For reference, this area is next to the cpu socket on the right hand side. NOTE: the photo
    was taken AFTER the mods were already performed on my D+ board, so C130 has already
    been removed, and cap ECL28 is now installed.
    Any questions on these mods should be posted in the original post here:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=193409 so we can keep things organized.
    Last edited by andyc52; 03-01-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5
    (3) AMD FX8350 CPU's @4.5GHZ

D+ Mod Instructions

SOYO K7V DRAGON PLUS/TRBED CPU CHIP MODS
    PAGE 2

With the D+ board removed from the case:
    add a capacitor to location ELC28 on the K7V board. This will help stabilize the D+ board, when using large size ram modules and/or with higher speed cpu chips. The ELC28 area is located behind the right rear corner of Dimm Socket # 3, next to the right side locking clip. You will see a white 3/4" circle outline where the cap gets installed. Negative lead of this cap points into the center of the D+ board. Value of the cap is 1500mfd-10volt. I use a Panasonic part obtained from Digi-Key Electronics. It is a perfect physical fit on the K7V board. I have used 1000mfd-10volt caps before, without problems, although the larger 1500mfd parts allow for higher FSB overclocks on some D+ boards. If you have a large HS/Fan unit, you may need to angle it away from the socket to allow for clearance around the socket. I use the Spire WhisperRock IV heatsink/fan and it doesn't interfere with the Panasonic 1500mfd part. Newegg sells the Spire for about $15.00; it can be used with any XP/mobile cpu chip and it's very quiet.
    With a mobile chip running around 2200mhz, your cpu temps should be near 45c with this unit.

Next, cap C130 needs to be removed from the D+ board. Removing this part will allow the board's voltage regulator to drop down to the correct Vcore value (1.65V) required by the Tbred cpu chips. This is a VERY small surface mounted device and a magnifying glass helps here. Once removed, the part can be discarded as it is no longer needed. Non TBRED chips WILL still function normally on a modified D+ board; this part only affects the regulator's ability to supply a lower Vcore value. Older TBird and Palomino chips require a higher Vcore level and are NOT affected by removing this part. When using a mobile cpu chip, your default vcore will be 1.57V after the mods.

Here is a list of steps I follow when I perform these mods:

1. Flash bios to 2BA8 with your original cpu chip still installed. Confirm the flash was OK and
    the board is working normally.
    2. Remove the Dragon Plus board from the case. Once removed, figure about 20-30 minutes
    to perform these mods.
    3. Add the ELC28 cap. Remember, install with the negative lead facing into the boards
    center. If you install this part backwards, you may hear a small explosion when you
    reapply power to the board. You have been warned!
    The 2 mounting holes will need to be cleaned of factory solder to install this part. This
    part of the mod has been described as a pain in the a$$ by many people. The best
    technique I have found for cleaning out the holes has been to put the hot iron tip on
    one side of the board and use a hand held solder sucker on the opposite side of the
    board. The solder wick/braid method doesn't work well here. It helps to have a second
    set of hands available to hold the board in position while doing this. A can of pressurized
    air duster also works to blow out the melted solder. Just be careful that the solder
    doesn't splash onto adjacent board traces. One person I know used a Shopvac to suck
    out the melted solder.
    4. Unsolder cap C130. NOTE: some people have removed this part by cutting it out with a
    small sharp pair of electronic diagonal cutters. Be careful you don't cut any board
    traces. Mods Done!
    5. Install new Tbred/Mobile cpu, CLEAR CMOS, and reinstall the board in the case. NOTE:
    when using bios versions 2BA8 or 9, you MUST clear the cmos (JP5 with power removed)
    after EVERY cpu change, or the board will not beep or post when power is reapplied.
    This is a function of these bios versions that allow the board to determine what
    multiplier set (low or high) to apply at startup.
    Again, if don't clear your cmos when swapping cpu chips, the board will do nothing and
    appear to be dead on the next power-on cycle.

NOTE: Soyo's release of bios version 2BA9 had many people thinking that it would finally allow for Tbred chips to be used with the K7V boards. This is not the case; so why the new release? Soyo did produce 1 last run of D+ boards around April of 2002. These later boards do have the C130 mod already performed, so the Tbred chips WILL function in these boards with bios 2BA9. The ELC28 cap was NOT installed on any of these later boards so you will still need to add this cap to use the higher speed cpu chips. This cap was not installed by Soyo because they never intended to support chips rated higher than the 2600+. The CPUID table in bios version 2BA9 adds support for 2600+ cpu chips max. Chips rated higher than a 2600 will only be displayed as a 2600 on the post screen, but the actual cpu speed in MHZ will still be shown correctly and run fine. The following information will be seen on the post screen during boot up when using bios version 2BA8 or 2BA9:
    TBred A version chips = 0680 -- TBred B version chips = 0681 -- Barton chips = 06A0
    Mobile cpu chips will also display 06A0 since they are based on the Barton core.

Many people think that since the Dragon Plus board will be out of the case to work on, this would be a good time to perform some additional upgrades ( hard drives, ram, video cards etc ).While this is a reasonable assumption, I would caution against doing this. The simple reason is that the less changes you make, the easier it will be for you to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Do the mods, install all your original hardware, and check to make sure the system is running OK. Once your satisfied with the system, then start to upgrade the other hardware. Too many changes at once can lead to frustration.

For those who can't locate a 1000 or 1500mfd- 10V cap locally, one can be purchased here:
    Digi-Key Electronics
    701 Brooks Ave South
    Thief River Falls, MN. USA 56701
    phone # 1-800-344-4539
    http://us.digikey.com/scripts/dksear...?KeywordSearch
    When you get to the above search link, just type in the part number.
    (1) Panasonic 105c Radial Lead Low Impedance 1500mfd-10volt cap part# P10228-ND $.85

Good luck, and if your not sure about something, post in the long D+ thread and I will try to provide more info.
    Last edited by andyc52; 03-01-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5
    (3) AMD FX8350 CPU's @4.5GHZ