Can't access Windows partitions!!

I'm using Mandrake 10.0. I can see all of my partitions mounted, but when I try to access them I either get "access is denied" or "you do not have access rights" to these drives. Anyone have any hints, clues, tips, tricks, etc? I'd love to have my 30 gigs of music available in Linux. Thanks!

Re: Can't access Windows partitions!!

Try accessing the drives as root.
    You might need to add users to the <opts> for the drive in fstab

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Yes, like Provicemo says, assuming they are mounted at boot time from /etc/fstab, it's most likely a permissions thing. If it helps, here's a copy of one of my entries in /etc/fstab for mounting a shared fat32 (vfat) partition at the mount point /win32. The first example is a basic mount allowing a user to view the files, whereas in the second example, the mounted partition is owned by the user:

Code:
    # To mount:

/dev/hda5      /win32      vfat      defaults   0 0

# To mount, owned by user (uid=500):

/dev/hda5      /win32      vfat      rw,noatime,uid=500,gid=500,user   0 0
    you'll also need to be root to edit /etc/fstab

Hope that helps,

Ned

Ned was kind enough to help me out with getting the permisions correct when mounting my Fat32 partition I share between Windows and Linux.

I am not sure how my fstab entry is different. Is it one is a numerical value and the other is text value?

Here is how my fstab looks for my NTFS partition and Fat32

Code:
    /dev/hdb2       /mnt/share      vfat      rw,noatime,uid=500,gid=500,user   0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/NTFS ntfs users,owner,ro,umask=000 0 0

Cool, thanks guys! I'll give these a shot when I get home later. Unfortunately I don't have internet @ home right now, so I have to post at work.

I'm afraid I learnt by example too, and don't fully understand enough to give you a detailed explanation as to all the individual settings/options, but the manual entries for mount and fstab ("man mount" and "man fstab") list all the options in full together with explanations as to their purpose (if you can understand them ).

Anyway, first lets get it working, and then understand what we did and why it works

Ned

Sort-of on the same line is another question of mine:

How do I/can I setup a share of my Windows drives via Linux? e.g. if I have a folder shared in Windows for all users, how do I set the same thing up in Linux for the same folder/drive for Windows users to access?

If you want to share a linux folder with windows users, you'll need to use the Samber package (set up a samba server). Windows uses the smb protocol for file sharing and Samba is an open source smb based server and client package.

First check you have samba installed (rpm -q samba). Then you'll need to set up samba shares and decide how users will be permitted to access them. Personally, I use their windows logon/password as authentication, so make sure the workgroup name is the same and set up samba accounts with the same username/password as used for their windows accounts. There are other ways you can do it, and it depends on how many users you have to set up as to which is the easiest method, and whether you want to grant anonymous access or username/password authenticated access (I think there was a bug in some earlier 3.0.X versions of samba with anonymous samba shares), but I never had any problems with the method I described.

I used fedora and it has a gui tool for setting up samba shares - hopefully mandrake has similar? or you can do it the hard way by editing the samba config file by hand, but which ultimately gives more control.

Edit: this is for network shares, not sharing a linux partition on a dual boot machine when booted into windows. Windows doesn't know what a linux partition is, so I don't know of any way of easily doing this.

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 02-10-2005 at 01:11 PM.

This isn't to share Linux for when I'm in Windows. Basically, since I'm dual-booted right now with XP/Mandrake, I want to keep my usual shares I have in Windows still working so that users won't know/care that I'm booted into Linux.

Cool - was just checking. ^^ Samba is definately what you want then

Ned

Groovy. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm smart enough to follow your suggestions.

If you have any trouble, a search (here, or on google) on Samba will no doubt turn up plenty of step by step tutorials on how to set it up.

Plus, I think we have quite a few members here with first hand samba experience who I'm sure will be more than willing to help out

Good luck,

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    Ned was kind enough to help me out with getting the permisions correct when mounting my Fat32 partition I share between Windows and Linux.

I am not sure how my fstab entry is different. Is it one is a numerical value and the other is text value?

Here is how my fstab looks for my NTFS partition and Fat32

Code:
    /dev/hdb2       /mnt/share      vfat      rw,noatime,uid=500,gid=500,user   0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/NTFS ntfs users,owner,ro,umask=000 0 0
    Since I had both FAT32 and NTFS, I used themortarman's config... and it worked! I can now view my 4 other partitions/drives. It didn't come with its share of problems getting it going. I booted my machine last night, only to watch Linux boot to a command line. Well, I'm still a n00b with this stuff so I didn't know what for sure to do. I tried loading the X-Server (I at least figured out how to do that), but it kept saying it couldn't. So I just popped in the first disc and did a quick re-install. Took about 5 minutes and the GUI was working again. However, the login screen changed to an XP-style where I click the username. Root was hidden, of course, and I couldn't figure out how to get the login box to appear (C-A-D just resets the machine ). I finally found the place in Linux to show the root login and finally got cooking. On a side note, isn't there a way to login like a Windows 2000 "Run As" type thing so I can edit one file as root while still logged in as me? So anyway, it's working like a charm.

Now my only issue is getting Samba installed. I tried doing it last night, but it wanted "disc 4". Well I don't have a disc 4, so I need to d/l that today to burn and take home (stupid non-internet at home).

Quote Originally Posted by rylz
    On a side note, isn't there a way to login like a Windows 2000 "Run As" type thing so I can edit one file as root while still logged in as me? So anyway, it's working like a charm.
    Yes indeed. At the command line, type "su -" and you'll be asked for the root password. At that point you're root, so be careful. If you wanted to edit /etc/fstab using gedit for example, just type "gedit /etc/fstab" and the editor will open up with the file loaded ready to edit (as root).

Also check out sudo which will alow you to run a command as root (after entering the password of course).

Also, I don't know about mandrake, but in fedora there is an option on the KDE menu for "File Manager - Super User Mode" that starts the file manager, konqueror, as root which is also quite useful until you get used to using the command line. Basically, you should never need to actually login to X as root.

Ned

Oh THAT'S it! su -! Frick all I could think of was "sh" and that obviously didn't get me there.

There was a how-to in the Mandrake help for a "super user mode", but I couldn't find it for the life of me. It was probably because I was tired and was looking right over it. Oh well, it's a learning process. And I won't log in to X as root anymore because that's slightly dangerous. :-)