Duron 1.8 or Sempron 2200+

Im building a new budget tower for a friend of mine, and I already know what the Duron 1.8Ghz, 266fsb cpu can do as it's fairly impressive for the price. However, i see they have a Semperon 2200+, which is 333fsb but only 1.53Ghz. In comparison, which one would be the better performer?

Re: Duron 1.8 or Sempron 2200+

Are you OC'n? What are the specs of the mb and mem? They share the same architecture w/cache disabled in the Duron. The Duron should be able to handle 333fsb, but it depends on your memory and mb. If you're OC'n, then it's a toss up between the two.

If left stock, the Sempron will benefit from the bigger cache and the Duron from the clock speed.

I love budget systems. If I were building that system, I'd opt for the Duron 1600 and OC the crap out of it. The price diff is negligable.

I have a Duron 1400 OC'd over 2.4Ghz.

I'd go Sempron myself. The words "budget system" and oc'ing are mutually exclusive, IMHO.
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

Quote Originally Posted by brewzer
    I'd go Sempron myself. The words "budget system" and oc'ing are mutually exclusive, IMHO.
    meh, maybe in the end, once you get hooked, but the main reason i see for OC'in is to get that extra performance out of a chip that costs less

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I love to see poor college or high school kids who want play the latest games and they pennypinch to afford a Duron or yesteryear video card. Also, in other countries where an annual income is less than $$$$, they'll struggle to put a system together.

In such circumstances, it makes more sense to OC the budget system. OC'd budget systems are like riced-out Civics. They want more, but cannot afford better.

I'm all for budget systems. Getting the most mileage for every penny spent. Cause I was once there, struggling and starving college student building my linux box (back when linux was still a dark art and you had to know supported chipsets), running slirp on university accounts to I could open gateways and PPP. Those were the days.

I have both. A budget system for kicks (and the kids to surf cartoonnetwork.com) and the other system, a no-compromise gamer rig.

id go with the sempron 2200+ at $49 currently, but for $26 more at newegg (probably lower on pricewatch) you could get the non-smepron 2500+ or and for $4 more then that you could get the 2600+, if your absoulety trying to save cash go with a retail sempron like the 2400+ so you dont have to spend extra cash on the heatsink/fan.
    Last edited by Dobey; 02-23-2005 at 01:20 AM.
    /roar

Thanks for the input all, and i'm leaning towards the sempron cpu as the 333fsb will be nice, and i don't plan on overclocking this machine. I'm just looking for a good solid system, not needed for gaming. Thx.

"...running slirp on university accounts to I could open gateways and PPP..." I used to run that on my UNIX account and the admin asked what I was doing. LOL. Just goes to show who the admin was. Eventually, I switched to AOHxLL, then a local ISP. Warcraft all the way!

I'd pick Sempron over Duron any day. It makes for such a great foot warmer in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobey
    id go with the sempron 2200+, but for $26 at newegg, probably lower on pricewatch you could get the non-smepron 2500+ or and for $4 more then that you could get the 2600+, if your absoulety trying to save cash go with a retail sempron like the 2400+ so you dont have to spend extra cash on the heatsink/fan.
    typo? since when are 2500's 26 bones? 75 for a new 2500+ but honestly you'd be better off getting a mobile 2400+ for 76 and oc'ing to 2.2 which should be fairly easy. outside of the durron suggested earlier, I'd say the 2400+ would be the best value depending on what the user intentions for the computer where. Great thing about the 2400 is that you don't have to have fast ram to up the clock speed as the multipliers are unlocked, but as always fsb will help performance out more.
    DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
    Mobile 2600
    Thermaltake 480 watt psu
    SLK 947 hs
    OCZ 3700 gold rev2
    Radeon 9800pro
    Seagate 120 ide
    WD 120 sata

i fixed my typo, I intended to say taht for $26 more, meaning $49 (the sempron 2200+) + $25 more he could get the XP2500+
    /roar