PSU and MSI NF4 SLI + 6600gt

I am gonna purchase a msi sli setup with one 6600gt for now and two HD, my question am i going to need a new PSU or can i last a while and upgrade later. I have a thermaltake 480 and wasnt sure if that was the case. Also if someone can update me on the issue on psu with 20 and 24 pins.

pete

Re: PSU and MSI NF4 SLI + 6600gt

I just picked up a Neo4 Platinum.
    You can use a 20 pin connector with it.
    Not sure about the "SLI" but you should be able to go to MSI and take a look at the manual.
    (It's what I did before I bought mine)
    Here is a pic from the Neo4 manual.

Last edited by IAmGhostDog; 02-10-2005 at 08:37 PM.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

I appreicate it that bro...so what is the exact purpose of having the larger power supply connector ? I am guessing more juices ?

pete

Stadard connectors melt at about 11amps, so they put extra connectors in for specific voltages that wil ldraw around that, thats why a few colours are duplicated already

You can also get 20 to 24pin adaptors in case the extra 4 pins are not somehow bonded to the other +5V connections. Some motherboards show how to just plug a 20 pin connector to their 24pin board, others don't.

While I'm not sure if it's required, I used one with my MSI board, here's a link to the part for $4.00 at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-002&depa=0

I was looking on the Thermaltake website for indications of a -5V being provided and couldn't find it. I would look at the label on the side of the PSU as it should show the various voltages and what their ratings are. Look to see if -5V is provided.

I have an Enermax PS that has the -5V and works just fine. The Thermaltake looks high-end enought that I would be suprised if if didn't provide the -5V, but I would check.

Your system will boot and work without the -5V, but the neat Creative Labs Live! 24bit chip will not function correctly without it.
    HighTest
    -------------------------------
    Click on my system specs

Well the systems in and it operates with the 20-24 pin connector and without it. The sound works well both ways (sound quality thats a diff story..lol).

Whats the better and more stable way to operate it ? THe psu says -5 on it , and i plan on mildly overcloking it and after searching i see mumbo jumbo for connecting it and not to do so .....i am confused ..

pete