Mobile XP Chips in Soyo Boards

With the mobile XP chips being readily available at reasonable prices,
    some users are looking to extend the life of their Soyo socket A boards.
    Below is a list of boards I have tested with a mobile chip using the same
    common components:

Enlight 420 Watt PS
    AMD Mobile XP 2600 chip
    Corsair TwinX 512M/3200LL memory (2x256)

1.) Soyo KT600 Ultra Platinum with bios version 4AA2.
    Board works fine with the mobile chip. No cpu socket pin mod required. This is
    the best board to use with a mobile cpu; the adjustable vcore and vdimm will
    allow for maximum overclocking and stability. CPU and RAM bus were set to
    200mhz. You can select the multiplier of your choice. I suggest starting at
    10, and working up from there tweaking vcore and the multiplier as you go.
    On the post screen, the cpu model will be ID'd as an "Unknown CPU Type",
    but the cpu speed will be displayed correctly. I still have 1 of these
    running in my home systems.

2.) Soyo KT600 Plus (original version) with bios version 2AA2.
    This original Plus version board also works fine with the mobile cpus. Similar
    to the Ultra above except there are no provisions for Vcore/Vdimm adjustments
    which will limit how high your mobile cpu will go. Default Vcore with a mobile is 1.57V.
    Also displays "Unknown CPU Type" during post. Set your FSB manually to 200 and adjust the multiplier value via the dip switches. No socket pin mod required.
    NOTE: Electric Bill, a mod over in the DFI forum has a KT600 Plus V1.0 board that
    is running a 2600 mobile, so the V1.0 boards can also be included. I have not tested
    the V2.0 boards at this point in time.

3.) Soyo KT333 Dragon Plus and KT400 Lite boards both with bios 2AA9.
    I grouped these models together because they are very similar and both gave
    the same results. After clearing the cmos, these boards would post and allow
    for setting the fsb manually to 166 and the multiplier to 12.5 without the socket
    pin mod. Rebooting from bios and the boards would boot normally. However, they
    both had a random cold boot problem in that they would not power up from a cold
    start most of the time. Warm resets seemed to be Ok. Installing the cpu socket pin
    mod did not help with the cold boot problems. In leiu of the cold boot issue,
    I would not recommend using mobile chips with these boards.

4.) Soyo K7V Dragon Plus (KT266A) with bios version 2BA8.
    These boards will work with the mobile chips, BUT FIRST they must be modified to
    accept Tbred B core processors. See this thread for mod details:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=377836
    CPU socket pin mod is required to get access to multipliers above 12.5.
    Set the FSB manually to 133 and the multiplier to 15 and you're good to go.
    Keep raising the multiplier untill you find the sweet spot for your setup.
    These boards will default to a Vcore of 1.57 just like the original KT600 Plus board.
    Will display "XP 2600" on post screen with bios 2BA8.
    If you use bios 2BA9, then you will get the "Unknown CPU Type"
    message instead.
    Last edited by andyc52; 04-07-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5
    (3) AMD FX8350 CPU's @4.5GHZ

Re: Mobile XP Chips in Soyo Boards

5) Soyo KT880 Dragon2 with bios 4aa1.
    Board exhibits random cold-boot failure with Mobile 2500+ when FSB is set manually to 200, similar to the findings with the KT333 Dragon Plus and KT400 Lite boards mentioned above. Wiring the socket for 200 FSB and setting BIOS to FSB 'Auto' allows the board to boot normally without incident. The power regulation circuitry on this board is beefy enough to allow substantial overclocks with the Mobiles, however considering the 'cold-boot' issue this application is not for the meek as a wire-mod is clearly needed to run high FSB.
    Phenom9600-2GB-8800GTS 512
    Opteron185-2GB-7900GS
    A64 3000+-1GB-7600GS
    2100+Mobile Barton-1GB-GF2MX400

Thanks for the additional info quik. Others may have the KT880
    board and this will come in handy for someone considering
    switching to a mobile. For those who have the savvy to try a mobile,
    if you have a link to the wire mod, feel free to post it for others.

PS, are you keeping score of how many semi's you have destroyed
    Last edited by andyc52; 02-23-2005 at 08:20 PM.
    Andy

(2) GA-990FXA-UD3
    (1) GA-990FXA-UD5
    (3) AMD FX8350 CPU's @4.5GHZ

These are the pins in the CPU socket that must be connected in order to default your Barton Mobile to 200FSB. Note the orientation of the socket in the image- it likely does not match your board!
    -very thin strands of copper wire (such as individual strands from speaker wire, etc.) are required, cut to a length of approx. 8mm

Image courtesy of www.ocinside.de
    Last edited by quik_2_win; 02-23-2005 at 11:32 PM.
    Phenom9600-2GB-8800GTS 512
    Opteron185-2GB-7900GS
    A64 3000+-1GB-7600GS
    2100+Mobile Barton-1GB-GF2MX400

Dropped an XP-M 2600+ in my K7VTAPRO V1.0 and it ran... 6 * 133 = 800MHz,

Found CBID, could raise multiplier to 15 (133 * 15 = 2000MHz) but not automatically, only manually after boot... and no overclock and a slow FSB.

Tried CrystalCPUID, could change multiplier manually, same as CBID, but no voltage or "on-the-fly" management.

Determined to OC the mobile...

Went through 4 boards looking for support for my system:
    Windows 98 SE
    Adaptec SCSI
    AMD XP-M 2600+

Following in sequence:
    SOYO KT880 V2.0
    Great power supply, over a dozen HUGE CAPS near the socket... I loved this board, I love Soyo's stability and quality (just retired my 5EHM after 6-1/2 yrs powered up 12 - 18 hours/day) but... board would not boot from SCSI. Probably fixable in the AMI BIOS, I ain't waitin' around for that to happen. Returned.

ALBATRON NF2 KX18DS ProII (nForce2 chipset)
    Board's specs and documentation show support for W98SE... on arrival an insert in front of the manual said could not run SETUP for the OS, blamed it on nVidia... that and other problems resulted in a return. (BTW, no telephone support for Albatron)
    So-so caps and capcount

Asus A7N8XE Deluxe v2.xx
    Never could get W98SE fully installed... min CPU vcore was 1.575... vcore multiplier settable only in BIOS, not from software (probably the chipset) Big problem was the heat... cpu went from 38c @ 2000MHz on the K7VTAPRO V1.0 to 53c same speed same cooling... Asus tech support said to ditch the chip, it was imcompatible... I ditched the m'board instead. So-so caps and capcount

Soyo SY-KT600 DRAGON ULTRA PLATINUM
    Beeyootiful board, great caps and count... I went here because of the quality and this thread verifying how well it runs the XP-M... RUNS W98SE GREAT... BOOTS FROM SCSI... AWARD BIOS... ON-THE-FLY MULTIPLIER management using CrystalCPUID (this works great... but vcore works only through BIOS). Totally stable at 11 * 200, vcore 1.60, 46c under full load, 34c @ 6 * 200 idle @ 1.6 vcore (using on-the-fly multipler management) same all-copper thin-finned hs/fan combo as used in all above. I know I can go higher but want to keep the vcore low, so will probably stay at this setting. This is the keeper...

Shhhh!!
    Newegg is selling this as an "OEM refurb" for $56... they keep telling you this is the bare board only... the secret is that what I got was the full retail package with EVERYTHING shown... I got two of them. They are still there at Newegg as I write... no promises about the full retail package, but that is what I got and imagine that's what the rest are too... but they probably won't confirm that and you will be taking a chance...

Love those stable Soyo boards...