Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: SATA HD on Chaintech MB Crisis! arrrgh

FDISK Said :

partion = 1, status: Type: EXT DOS, Volume Label: *, Mbytes: 59,700, System Usage: 100%

* the drive was labeled SATA in Windows Xp when it was working

The Extended DOS partition contains logical DOS Drives

Do you want to display? selected yes, result: No Logical Drive Defined
    Last edited by prole; 02-26-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Do you have the other drives attached? That sounds like your "WD 60 gb slave " drive.

Greetings UD

Mortar,

yup the ide master/slave drives were disconnected, did again just to be sure. Same info, is there a limit as to what 98 can recognize?

As the drive size is recpgnized correctly in the promise fastrack bio, windows xp setup, western digital and hitatchi's dos hard drive diagnostic utilities and that other diskpatch demo, hope that fdisk only sees what it does, does not mean ill boding

prole

I have noticed some new posts regarding WD SATA problems on different boards, one sounding similar to mine, think a different application, assuming a boot and OS drive, but hangs at splash, whereas mine hangs after. Seems to make sense as one is most likely OS and one storage respectively?

can't help but wonder if this indicates a problem intinsic to the WD SATA drives?

I do have a question regarding my set up, I see all these SATA PCI Interface cards, are these different than the onboard raid/fastrack? Do they allow one to simply add another drive w/o the whole raid array deal as with the onboard raid fastrack deal? Afterall all I want is an additional storage drive inside my comp. If so what would be the best reasonably priced sata pci to go with?

I do want to resolve the problem I am having, but must admit am afraid once working to stay with the configuration.

And again a hearty thank you to all who are assisting me in this travail

respectfully: prole

Ok, so new info.

This morning I messed around with the recovery console, discovered one has to load the promise tastrack drivers to access the SATA drive with it

Anyway, the recovery console hung up while analyzing the SATA drive the info at the bottom of the screen was:

EX:190780 mb, MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on fastx2k......

I then rebooted and used the demo version of this utilty http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/DiskPatch.htm

performed the the analyze and repair function, did not execute the repair, as I do not know if I should, nor do I understand the app not to mention the uber-tech stuff it deals with

I then exited and launched the read only test function and was told : partition tables invalid/mbr corrupt.

Am thinking that the ppartition table bit might mean I won't be able to access the drive via usb external interface when the adapter arrives? I hope not

Edit: New Info:

I just used this app NTFS4DOS from http://www.datapol.de/dpe/prod/50844...f01/index.html

It looks like the data is still there, among other things tunes <dir> and K-MUSIC <DIR> show and the following (~) = temp? TUNEST~1 <DIR>, Z-MYDO~1 <DIR>, Z-GUIT~1 <DIR>

also there are a couple mp3 files and zip files sitting on the drive, not in any subfolders ie SATA:\ ***mp3, ***.zip, etc...

This app saw the drive label of the WD SATA drive, am getting hopeful now..I just don't know how to proceed, like forgot the command structure to explore the directories...but looks like the data is still there
    Last edited by prole; 02-27-2005 at 08:42 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by prole
    can't help but wonder if this indicates a problem intinsic to the WD SATA drives?
    Good morning. I am truely sorry that I can't be more helpfull. I assure you, it is not an intrinsic problem with the drive. It is a mobo and/or BIOS and SATA controller problem probably configuration. However, there are some RAID controllers won't run a single SATA drive. I just don't know if that is the problem in your case. Please hand in there.

BWM

[QUOTE=BWM]Good morning. I am truely sorry that I can't be more helpfull. QUOTE]

No need for apologies companero, is nice to know is not an intrinsic problem to WD SATA drives. Don't know about my on board raid deal, on the nforceshq (not sure of the name, as browser cannot connect to the site at the moment) a single drive on my chaintech zenith is doable. But even so since it wigged out on me, am relectant to use it. I see people have used adapter to mount their ide cd/dvd drives on sata channels and ide to sata adapter for ide drives abound, so that must mean there are sata pci cards that are nod raid deals? So which is what, and what is best for the money? (ie. not very much lol)

With the NTFS4DOS from http://www.datapol.de/dpe/prod/5084...df01/index.html, I have been able to see the reluctant sata drive, all the directories are there, cannot get into all of them, don't know if they are problems or is just my dos command line abilties are null and void, got into some but not others, might have something to do with long files names, though tried the \n deal to no avail.

So am hopeful, the data will be retrievable, is just a matter of how, in the above listed app there is a chkdsk function, am heasitant to use as disk patch 2.1, discussed earlier cautioned against using such...am not familar with this end of things nor the apps that may fix it...so I wait counsel .

respectfully; prole

One thing came to mind, it has happened before, check to see if there is anything in the BIOS resembling a fast boot option. If so, then disable it. We've seen members with boards that try to boot so fast that drive detection times out. It's worth a try, I think.

looked through my manual, did not see anything like that in the bios section, will look next time i reboot... the patch disk 2.1 demo did say the drive's mbr and partition table were mucked..... but did not execute the repair, as i don't know how good the app is...still waiting for input lol...
    Thanks again bro

You're welcome. I have the impression that your motherboard isn't among those that permits booting from a single drive striped array, but then I'm not really qualified to say for sure. UncleBob should be along this evening. Sorry this is taking so long.

Quote Originally Posted by prole
    looked through my manual, did not see anything like that in the bios section, will look next time i reboot... the patch disk 2.1 demo did say the drive's mbr and partition table were mucked..... but did not execute the repair, as i don't know how good the app is...still waiting for input lol...
    Thanks again bro
    Prole, will the demo version actually perform the recovery\repair operation? I am trying to experiment with this program having problems getting it to run I suspect my old floppy drive.

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    Prole, will the demo version actually perform the recovery\repair operation? I am trying to experiment with this program having problems getting it to run I suspect my old floppy drive.

Mortar, it appeared that it would, I was given the option after the analysis ran, I did not opt to, as it said chance of success fair, which turned out not to be a bad thing after visiting their site. But still, could lose data, it says "If you run DiskPatch without a (valid) License Key, the program will run in 'Demo-Mode': all features are enabled and accessible, but DiskPatch will not write any changes to the disk. To obtain a valid License Key you must purchase a license."

According to the NTSFSDOS app it appears the data is still there, though I could not get into all directories, such as truncated ones? longer thna 8 characters ( ******~1 )

I had to format a preformatted floppy selecting the make bootable disk option, either for NTSFDOS or Disk patch 2.1, the readme for th latters said "Concerning FreeDOS: The DiskPatch bootdiskette contains a known stable version of FreeDOS to help you to get started as quick as possible. FreeDOS however is known to have problems with certain hardware configurations. If the DiskPatch bootdiskette does not start correctly, you need to create your own DOS bootdiskette and run DiskPatch from there. The manual explains how to create DOS bootdiskettes."

So I guess, if it will actually repair I have to say IDK.
    prole

"If you run DiskPatch without a (valid) License Key, the program will run in 'Demo-Mode': all features are enabled and accessible, but DiskPatch will not write any changes to the disk. To obtain a valid License Key you must purchase a license."
    This leads me to think that it will not actually repair the Drive.

Mortar,

Nope prob not, I did click the button though just in case. Everything from the last few days has sorta congealed together, but I do seem to recall clicking on certai things in the app it saying noot available in the demo version, and when selecting the repair it took me to the select disk bit wiith no flags, but tis far as I went.

It looks like a nice app, from a layman's persepctive such as mine , thhe manual editing options (mbr, mft and such) for someone who knows their stuff... am assuming chances of data recovery that way are greater than for the likes of me who'd do the automated click and pray

But while I am blathering again, is there a difference between a pci sata card and the raid cards? Can use one and not have deal with the whole raid thing, just have it show as a third drive?

respectfully prole

Hello Prole!!!!

Would you mind just giving me a recap( Short and sweet ) of just what you were doing when the problems started. Was there some program involved? If so, what is the name of it?

One last thing. Have you tried to boot with just the problemed drive attached? Of course it won't go very far just curious if it will go farther then it has been.

Edit:
    Just another thought. When you have the system setup to run with all drives. Just at what point is it freezing? Are you just getting a blinking cursor?
    Last edited by themortarman; 02-28-2005 at 10:20 AM.