Angry FC3 NTFS support

So I d/l an RPM from sourceforge for NTFS support (kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.766_FC3.stk16-2.1.22-0.rr.4.3.i686.rpm) and install it. Doesn't work. I still get "this kernel does not support NTFS". I go to reinstall the RPM and it says it's already there. Suggestions?
    Last edited by rylz; 02-23-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Re: FC3 NTFS support

Hmmm... looks like I need to try it manually. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks for the link!

Seems like I have had to load the module manually, on another occasion I did not.

Code:
    /sbin/modprobe ntfs

That seems to be the thing with RPMs, isn't it? At least from what I hear from people. I haven't had enough experience to weigh it out.

Oh, and with that command, I get an error like "cannot find NTFS module".

Are you sure you installed the right package for your kernel version? What's the output from "uname -a"?

So, you downloaded a third party program that is not an official part of fedora core from developers who no longer maintain their project's home page because they don't want to be distracted by users who can't get it to work. On top of that they don't even make all the rpms and no one has any idea of which rpms are well made and which are broken.

That site screams, "expect problems!".

Check their help page. It has two suggestions for what to do when you get the "modprobe: Can't locate module ntfs" message.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/help.html
    Testing - Please Ignore!

As far as I'm aware, Fedora (Red Hat) is the only distro not to come with NTFS support. If NTFS support is essential to you, I would suggest either recompiling your own kernel with native NTFS support built in, or trying another distro that does have NTFS support otherwise you're going to have this problem every time you need to upgrade your kernel for security patches etc.

Ned

I'm thinking I'll dump Fedora. The non-NTFS support is one thing (which, btw, I tried a manual uninstall/re-install and still didn't get anywhere), but I went to play some music last night and it tells me that they removed MP3 support from Fedora! WTF is that?

Because Linux is open source, many major linux distro's are being very cautious about bundling in anything that isn't truly open source and doesn't meet the GPL. This includes all kinds of things, like NTFS support, common apps like adobe acrobat and all kinds of media players/plugins etc. The list goes on. Most of these things are easy enough to get and install, it's just frustrating for end users to need to do so. There are some smaller distro's that are filling the niche by having all this stuff preconfigured - maybe you'd be better off looking towards one of them.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by rylz
    So I d/l an RPM from sourceforge for NTFS support (kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.766_FC3.stk16-2.1.22-0.rr.4.3.i686.rpm) and install it. Doesn't work. I still get "this kernel does not support NTFS". I go to reinstall the RPM and it says it's already there. Suggestions?

Did you check the kernel and make sure its checked,,,and If your not sure how to do this , please read up before you do.

example:

#cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9/
    #make menuconfig

this will setup a menu editor

check to make sure its check off in your kernel (ntfs) read and write.

then do
    # make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Good Luck!

The kernel-module-ntfs RPM package allows installing NTFS support without recompiling the existing kernel, so all the steps 64bit listed are unnecessary.

Lightbulb Re: FC3 NTFS support

Markkuk...

it WONT install UNLESS you make sure the NTFS Read and Write support are checked!

So it will install the RPM ,,but it wont be functional without the kernel accepting it!

Even with the kernel-module rpm , sometimes it still wont take. Least for me anyways, so I do it the old fashion way and I make sure its done right.

Its that simple!
    Last edited by 64Bit; 02-25-2005 at 05:29 PM.

The kernel-module-ntfs package installs and works just fine in my system. The kernel is designed to accept modules that are compiled separately, there's no need for a complete rebuild just to add a single driver module.

markkuk is 100% correct, there is no need to recompile the kernel to add a module.
    Its the same thing with ndiswrapper and the nvidia drivers, you simply add a module to the kernel to gain support.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader