Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HTPC News

Re: HTPC News

The Outlaw 990 should be a killer, it is basically the same as the Sherwood P965 (actually the 990 is built in Sherwood's factory in Korea). It offers a few things the Sherwood doesnt, like DVI switching, and balanced outputs (not of much use to most mainstream applications). The Sherwood has a much better remote (MX500), which pretty much makes up for the price difference. (Ok, so I have the Sherwood)

Outlaw Audio, who is celebrating its sixth year on the lam

I'll check out the Sherwood.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Outlaw is a great company, I have the 950 (selling it shortly). Superb customer service. If you already have a nice remote, look at the 990. The 990 is also cheaper, but the Sherwood can be had for around $1100-1200.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenDiego
    Good point I guess...

Have you ever seen "FFDShow" put to test?

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

I haven't really messed with it but I hear it's a must for die hard picture quality buffs.
    Over last few days I poured over that website and took the plunge. Purchased 2 softwares and downloaded the FFDshow. Installed it on xp2400, 1GB, TI4600 system connected to 50inch Panasonic LCD HD.

I had 2 identical DVD's. One went into the up-converting DVD player(Toshiba) via HDI connector. The other went into my pc via VGA connector. I switched back and forth between two sources for comparison. Here is my observation.

1) PC source had better color. You can see in fleshtone and deeper saturation of colors.
    2) PC source had "pop" to the picture - fore ground had lot of details, background had pleasant blur that gave it more 3D appearance.
    3) DVD player had more even appearance with warmer color tone - more cinematic.
    4) DVD player seemed to have just a bit less details - hard to tell.
    5) FDDshow, ZoomPro has ton of options and adjustments. Above were strictly according to what was written on the website write up.
    6) CPU usage is high. It averages 65% CPU usage just to watch a DVD. Memory usage is low at or below 200MB.
    7) I really want to see what is best possible with the options available.
    8) YMMV!

I haven't been in here for some time and I hope to be able to spend more time here as other duties slow down. So, to start off, here is a great primer on Hooking Up A PC to An HDTV
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob
    I haven't been in here for some time and I hope to be able to spend more time here as other duties slow down.
    Well get on it! Welcome back.
    Darren E
    HTPC
    Athlon XP3000+ | 1GB PC3200 | Abit NF7-S 2.0 | 80GB Seagate | 200GB Seagate | Antec Overature Silent Case | PNY 6600GT DVI | Lite-On SK7551 IR Keyboard w/Pointing Device | Sony RM-AV2500 Remote | 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 | 2 DirecTV D10 | Hitachi 65S700 | Beyond TV 4.0
    Notebook
    Sager 4750- AMD64 3200 | 80GB HDD | 17"WSXGA | 1GB Ram
    A/V Authoring
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Lite-On DVD | Antec 900 Case | Delta 66 Audio Card | Intel E6600 | 2 GB G-Skill RAM | eVGA 8800GTS 320MB | Seagate 500/500/400 GB HDD | ViewSonic 20" Q20wb

Things in Chaintech have slowed to a veritable sputter!

How are you doing, DD?

Spoiler!

PowerColor 550 Pro PCIe Card Review This is a PCI express card based on the ATI Theater 550 Pro. Good numbers, too.

Spoiler!

OK, I was looking at this Uneed International x.15E HTPC case again, I can't help myself! Well, here is a great review of it here from HTPC News!

Try not to drool on the keyboard. I had to dry mine off, just a gentle reminder!

Spoiler!

Good news for portable HDTV users! Check out Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick Puts Broadcast HD on your Laptop, for Free: Out of the Box
    (Thanks to JimZ for the tip!)

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Good news for portable HDTV users! Check out Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick Puts Broadcast HD on your Laptop, for Free: Out of the Box
    (Thanks to JimZ for the tip!)
    You are welcome. Now I know where this thread is...

And I was amazed reading the review [maybe not a glowing endorsement] but I was surprised the item existed!

Also...heres a link to the guy that did the review. I doubt hed be shy about answering questions.

http://www.instapundit.com/
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-04-2007 at 07:44 PM.

HDMI: THE FULL STORY: Here's part one. And here's part two.

My recent experiences with HDMI cables here.

Spoiler!

This recent bit from Hauppauge could be the best thing to happen to us HTPC enthusiasts looking for a way to record premium HD content without that nasty DRM stuff .

Press release
    no sig required.

Hot Damn....it's about time!!

Spoiler!