Trustix Problems?

I have a server I am running at work, that I first installed Fedora core 3 on. After about 2-3 weeks of running smoothly, it started pooping out on me. It got to the point where it would not allow any connections. I thought maybe it was something I had done to it, in an update or something. I completely wiped the system and started over with Trustix, so there would basically be nothing extra running, not even a GUI. The server is acting as a Samba server for about a dozen machines, nothing more. What happens, is the computer completely halts all traffic to the workgroup it is a part of. When I connect to it via PuTTY, and try to tell it to reboot, or halt it tells me there is a bus error. The computer is an older P3, 700mhz machine stripped down to bare bones. All I have in it is a 250 GB hard drive, 512 mb of ram and a NIC. There is video onboard. DO I scrap the system or do I try something else? Could it be so simple as the NIC I have in it?

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

Re: Trustix Problems?

From my search on the web, it sounds like to me it's a hardware issue. Did the bus error show up on the original install? Did you change any hardware what so ever in the box just prior to the problem showing up on the original install? Or did you change anything between installs? If you did, you may want to consider changing the hardware back.

Yes, it could be the NIC card. You may want to try swapping it for the time being if you can.

Another thing you should maybe look at is running memtest86. It can find odd memory errors that can cause unexpected results. It will even find errors that you may run into only once in a blue moon. At the very least, this will test your RAM, memory bus, and part of the CPU. If any of these aren't at 100%, it should find out for you.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 02-28-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks much. I will try the MEMTEST first thing. The machine is so stripped down, I didn't figure there could be a thing go wrong with it.....I'll check back and let you know what it finds. Thanks for the reply SP!

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

I tried unpacking the tar file, to install memtest on the hard drive, since I don't have a cd drive in the system. When I try to untar the file, (as root) it just hangs. I can control-c out of it, but I can't unpack the tar file. The system otherwise is still up and seemingly working fine......

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Normally I use the ISO image to create a bootable CD. This way you will run memtest with a Linux kernel that has been customized just for this task. The kernel is minimized so it requires the least amount of RAM as nessary (which allows memtest to test more of your RAM), and the kernel is configured to be 'error talerant'. Thus if you have a memory issue, it's less likely to take the kernel down.

I was hoping you had a CD-ROM to run this from. But seeing as you don't, you may want to try to install a pre-compiled version. Either try using apt to download and install memtest, or have a look for an RPM. Fadora will have memtest set up as an RPM

edit: try downloading one of these RPMs - http://dag.wieers.com/packages/memtest86/
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 02-28-2005 at 08:07 PM.

I am home now, and will not be back in till Wednesday. When Wednesday comes though, I will bring in a CD drive to do the memtest with. I also tried installing Smartmon, to check the hard drive. The HD was fine, as I expected, but you never know for sure when problems like this arise. I will also be bringing in an alternate NIC to try.

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4