Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,158

    Exclamation K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    greetings all

    IAmGhostDog and myself recent did new system builds based on the Neo4 Platinum. We decided to do some tests and benchmarks to compare our 2 rigs. We wrote an article about it and is posted here in the MSI forum. We hope you will find the article informative and helpful. The article can be found in the sticky section or by following the link below.

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380551

    Please use this thread to comment/discuss the article.

    A bios guide and driver install guide are soon to follow.
    Last edited by The Wise One; 02-27-2005 at 09:01 PM.
    hmm...

  2. #2
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the streetcar bends the corner 'round.
    Posts
    144

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Nice job.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Saco, Maine
    Posts
    34

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    very nice! I too have build a MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum system, with the winchester 3500, and a XFX 6800gt. 3dmark 05 score of a 4613 stock, would be better but using corsair value select without any timing changes right now. I also think this board is very stable, the onboard sound is better than i expected, and cant wait to start tweeking!

  4. #4
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    147

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Forgive me if this isn't the right place to post, but the last poster made a comment that the onboard sound was better than he expected. Well, it's Realtek on the Ultra, right? I have the Ultra, and even with the latest audio drivers, I couldn't get the onboard sound to get loud enough. Even with all the audio volumes all the way up, it was barely audible. I used my old Soundblaster card, and it's fine now. Any ideas why?

  5. #5
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,158

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by msferre
    Forgive me if this isn't the right place to post, but the last poster made a comment that the onboard sound was better than he expected. Well, it's Realtek on the Ultra, right? I have the Ultra, and even with the latest audio drivers, I couldn't get the onboard sound to get loud enough. Even with all the audio volumes all the way up, it was barely audible. I used my old Soundblaster card, and it's fine now. Any ideas why?
    you might get a better response if you post this in its own thread in the MSI forum. it will most likely get more traffic that way.
    hmm...

  6. #6
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    30,989

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    I've come over to the darkside!
    I have a:

    MSI NF4 K8N NEO4-F
    Winchester 3500
    1 GB DDR (2 x 512) PC-3200 (400) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX (OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K)
    OCZ RAM Booster (if it will work!)
    37 GB WD Raptor
    Chaintech 6600 GT
    AMS MERCURY EPS 12V 550W PP-5503EPS

    This board/combo will be used for experiments! If it works as well as I think it will I may use it for my next HTPC build. I look forward to poking around in here more often. Thanks for the great article youse guys!
    Last edited by UncleBob; 03-21-2005 at 01:47 AM.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!




    Spoiler!

    I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    48

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Now if you just had a nice MSI video card to go with it.

  8. #8
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    68
    Posts
    12,900

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob
    I've come over to the darkside!
    I have a:

    MSI NF4 K8N NEO4-F
    Winchester 3500
    1 GB DDR (2 x 512) PC-3200 (400) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX (OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K)
    OCZ RAM Booster (if it will work!)
    37 GB WD Raptor
    Chaintech 6600 GT
    AMS MERCURY EPS 12V 550W PP-5503EPS

    This board/combo will be used for experiments! If it works as well as I think it will I may use it for my next HTPC build. I look forward to poking around in here more often. Thanks for the great article youse guys!
    DARRKSIDE????? DARKSIDE???? THat's the OTHER CPU PEOPLE WISE: I'm NEEDING that WISE600 anytime soon? BD51
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

  9. #9
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    30,989

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarBeast
    Now if you just had a nice MSI video card to go with it.
    That would be nice indeed! Do you need my address??
    I do have another 6600 coming, a Chaintech, however!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51
    DARRKSIDE????? DARKSIDE???? THat's the OTHER CPU PEOPLE WISE: I'm NEEDING that WISE600 anytime soon? BD51
    Well, in my sig, there are a few iterant Intel CPU's, dutifully working away!
    BTW... what is a "WISE600"
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!




    Spoiler!

    I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

  10. #10
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,158

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51
    DARRKSIDE????? DARKSIDE???? THat's the OTHER CPU PEOPLE WISE: I'm NEEDING that WISE600 anytime soon? BD51
    just waiting on a few patents
    hmm...

  11. #11
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    30,989

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Well, I just got it out of the box last night and it was DOA. I'll have to await arrival of RMA board for now. Such is life. patience, patience, patience!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!




    Spoiler!

    I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

  12. #12
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,158

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob
    Well, I just got it out of the box last night and it was DOA. I'll have to await arrival of RMA board for now. Such is life. patience, patience, patience!
    that sucks
    hmm...

  13. #13

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One
    that sucks
    Big time.
    Mines been running rock solid since I put it together.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

  14. #14
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    36,158

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog
    Big time.
    Mines been running rock solid since I put it together.
    ditto.

    new driver pack available at nvidia. just installed. 6.53.
    hmm...

  15. #15

    Re: K8N Neo4 Platinum Comparison Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One
    ditto.

    new driver pack available at nvidia. just installed. 6.53.
    Let me know how they are.
    I'm standing pat at this point in time.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •