MOHAA freezing up

I installed MOHAA and this game keeps feezing up about 10 seconds into the game. Can't get out of it either. The only way is to hit the reset button and restart. Is it my video card? I have a Powercolor brand ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. The system is a Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB ram WXP pro
    This game ran fine on my old system with a cheap ATI Radeon 7000 64mb card.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: MOHAA freezing up

Have you updated the game yet? I would update the game first. patch here- http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...edisk.exe.html

Then try this, which was the cause of a problem I had with MOHAA (same thing happened).
    Click start-run->type dxdiag hit enter. When that screen comes up click the sound tab at the top, then lower the slider to the "Basic acceleration" level. Start the game and mabey that helped. If not, check out the game's support site here - http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...wers.search_nl

tried both and still have the same problem...guess I'm off to gamer's support

Uninstall it......reboot.....reinstall.....reboot.....did you try that?

Also did you turn up the settings at all.....I would start with stock settings, work the res up. Then try all the candy. But your card should be able to handle it pretty well....
    Main Rig |Lian Li PC-K58W| Antec 750W HCG-750 |Intel 2500k SB |Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3|Patriot 2x 4GB| 2x MSI 460 1gb Hawk in SLI |Seagate 250gb|Samsung 24" 2433BW|Logitech MOMO|
    PC 3 |Ultra Aluminus|Ultra 500PS|Intel E8400 3.0|Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L|OCZ 2x 2GB| VisionTek 4870 512mb |Seagate 250gb|Dell 20.1" 2007fpw|
    HTPC|Antec New Solution HTPC Case|AMD X2 4000+|Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H|Corsair 2x 1GB|ATI 5450|BlueRay|Seagate 250gb|Samsung 40"|

did the uninstall re-install thing....didn't work. What i did do that seemed to work was to set the AGP to 4x instead of auto in the BIOS. I tried to set it to 8x and everything in the game froze the instant the game started.

Question Re: MOHAA freezing up

This type of problem is normally caused by a driver problem. What ATI Drivers are you running? Did you remove all reminants of the old drivers from the Registry before installing the new driver? I would recommend the latest Cat set from ATI. We are running the latest drivers on our systems. We have a system with a Radeon 9700Pro, one with a Radeon 9800Pro and my system with a X800XT Vivo card. We have never had any problems with these drivers. There is a radeon driver remover listed for download. I have never used this software, I just open the registry and find "Radeon" files. l delete all them that pertain to the video card. Close and reboot the system, then make sure the system is operating good with the generic drivers installed by XP. Then install your new driver set. If this does not resolve your problem, How long has it been since you formatted and did a complete fresh install of your OS? Hope this helps.

You may also want to disable fast writes in the Bios.

Also what mobo do you have?

Updated chipset drivers?
    Updated Sound & video?
    DirectX version?

Sp1? Sp2? and if 2 DEP enabled?
    Last edited by MrFuriousX; 03-10-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Last night I installed the DOOM3 Demo and had the same problem. I checked my driver date and version and yes it was pretty old.
    I went to Powercolor's website and downloaded that latest drivers. Doom3 runs perfectly now and I thought MOH was doing pretty good. About 20 minutes into the game It started freezing up again. Only this time I'd get some kind of message saying that my video card stopped responding and that it was reset. Then the game would start working again for about 5 minutes and the same message would appear.
    What i didn't do was uninstall the old driver before installing the new one so maybe that's the problem. I'll give that a shot later. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how that goes.
    BTW my MOBO type is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro and I just built this system maybe two weeks ago so no need for the fresh install.

First search for a driver RIP detonator.
    Then uninstall all drivers of your mobo and grafical card
    Reboot
    Then install DirectX 9 and other drivers except mobo and grafica drivers.
    Reboot
    Then install the rest of the needed drivers.
    Check bios for sideband adressing and see if primary vga is AGP and not PCI .
    Still problems? Do the same but do a full format of your windows partition and install all service packs and updates.
    Current PC:
    AMD 3400+Newcastle@2.67Ghz cooled by CNPS7000Cu
    2 x 512 MB Kingston Hyper-X @ 2-3-3-6
    Western Digital 36.7GIG 10000RPM SATA UDMA 6
    Nvidia 6800TD 128 (325/700) 16/6 @ 445/856Mhz.
    Plextor 8x DVD-RW
    LG 52x
    6x 80mm Poison Green Led fans
    Coolermaster Fancontroller
    Windows Xp Prof, testing 64Bit edition & Knoppix 64Bit.

Question Re: MOHAA freezing up

Maybe I am a little touched, but I did not see in any of your posts where you completely removed the old drivers. Also why are you going to powercolor for the video drivers? All Radeon cards are running the same GPU. I would recommend that you go to ATI and download the latest drivers. This way you can be assured you are getting the latest and best. I realize you are thinking that powercolor should have all the drivers for thier products. In my expierence, these outside mfg are always running a couple or more late in thier driver versions. Catalyst 5.3's are available at the ATI site right now. I would recommend you format your hard drive partition with yout OS on it and reinstall the OS fresh. After you get the OS installed, install the chipset drivers, sound drivers,and any other stuff you need to have working. If all is working great, then install the video drivers, this way you know there is no other driver causing any problems. This way you will have a great OS install, with fresh video drivers.

Try crogramfiles/eagames

replying to 7 year old posts?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    replying to 7 year old posts?
    The first one he replied to was 10 years old.

Hey, at least there is some activity here compared to what I've noticed lately.