Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: XServer - Stopping and Starting...How?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    But if I reboot, the gui never comes up, and it says I need to run the xorg config to create a new xorg.conf file, which I do, then it boots into gui. Then I have to go to a console, su - to root, type modprobe nvidia, cd to etc/X11, vi the xorg.conf file, change the driver name from nv to nvidia, comment out the line Load dri, then ctrl-alt-f1, login as root, type init 5, now i'm back in gui, as root though, logout, log back in as regular user, ctrl-alt-f1, logout, ctrl-alt-f7, log, and I'm back to where I am now, with glxgears working, etc.....

so why does it not just save my settings, and boot the nvidia driver?
    This is probably stupid, but I just wonder (clutching at straws) if it's not saving your changes because you're making them with X/gui running. Could you try the above, but kill X, then make your changes to the xorg.conf file from a text screen and save, and then just reboot and see if it keeps the changes.

Also - you've definately added the "modprobe nvidia" line (without quotes) to /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

I'm no good with troubleshooting X - it's always just worked for me

Ned

Ok, thank you all, it's getting closer, I had made a mistake in my last edit of the xorg.conf file, now that it's corrected a reboot and all is ok, glxgears is working, although my "graphical boot" it is not, but I really don't care about that. Yes, this "book" readme file from nvidia says there are tons more edits to make.
    Cool - ignore my last post then

Ok, thank you all, it's getting closer, I had made a mistake in my last edit of the xorg.conf file, now that it's corrected a reboot and all is ok, glxgears is working, although my "graphical boot" it is not, but I really don't care about that. Yes, this "book" readme file from nvidia says there are tons more edits to make.
    Although there are alot of possible edits, obviously, there are only a few necessary ones. In addition to commenting out the 'load dri' line, it is imperative that you comment out the entire dri section.

Other than what I've already stated, I'm not sure what to say. I just installed the nvidia driver on my FC3 64bit machine and everything went just as I remembered. I didn't have to modprobe or rmmod anything.

I downloaded the file from nvidia.com, switch to a virtual terminal using ctl-alt-f1, logged in as root. I changed to runlevel 3 and ran the installer, which downloaded the files it needed and installed them. I made the edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I then changed to runlevel 5. I am fairly sure that AGP acceleration is not working since the last time I loaded nvidia's drivers on an A64, it (AGP acc.) didn't work. Even so, I get 7360 fps with glxgears. I rebooted and everything continued to work.

My hunch is that you are somehow not getting the xorg.conf file completely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    Other than what I've already stated, I'm not sure what to say. I just installed the nvidia driver on my FC3 64bit machine and everything went just as I remembered. I didn't have to modprobe or rmmod anything.

I downloaded the file from nvidia.com, switch to a virtual terminal using ctl-alt-f1, logged in as root. I changed to runlevel 3 and ran the installer, which downloaded the files it needed and installed them. I made the edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I then changed to runlevel 5. I am fairly sure that AGP acceleration is not working since the last time I loaded nvidia's drivers on an A64, it (AGP acc.) didn't work. Even so, I get 7360 fps with glxgears. I rebooted and everything continued to work.

My hunch is that you are somehow not getting the xorg.conf file completely right.
    Well here is where I am, I reboot ok, just no GUI boot (but who cares) here is the output from glxgears:

8677 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1735.400 FPS
    36863 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7372.600 FPS
    40384 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8076.800 FPS
    37563 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7512.600 FPS
    37098 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7419.600 FPS
    41067 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8213.400 FPS
    40462 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8092.400 FPS
    38133 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7626.600 FPS
    38581 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7716.200 FPS
    39953 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7990.600 FPS
    41008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8201.600 FPS
    38649 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7729.800 FPS
    34738 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6947.600 FPS
    20884 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4176.800 FPS

So I think everything is ok.

Every hardware config is different:

Here is me

Nvidia NF2 Ultra 400 Chipset
    GeForce 3 Ti200 Video card.

Using an nf2 chipset and gf3, the process should've been much less painful. The 1st (and 2nd) A64 board I tried to get working were very frustrating w/ respect to AGP acceleration. This was largely due to the AGP controller being built in to the A64 and not really a function of the chipset. I read alot about xorg files, etc. I finally gave up on the acceleration portion but still preferred the nvidia drivers due to the better refresh rates. Now, while reading the the output of dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it appears that I have AGP acceleration! Cool, now I can see about loading UT2004 to see how it goes.

Hang in there. I would recommend downloading the script from nvidia and trying again. Pay attention to any errors and let us know what they are. Don't skip any steps, even if they don't seem significant. While reading the nvidia readme, it doesn't specifically mention the dri section of xorg.conf the way it used to, but I would strongly recommend commenting it out. Theorectically it should not matter as long as the 'load dri' line is commented out, but I wouldn't discount the possibility (or likelihood).

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by Sick Willie; 03-13-2005 at 02:22 AM.