Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: XServer - Stopping and Starting...How?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    init 3, install, edit Xorg.conf and THEN init 5. Go back and log out of the virtual terminal.
    Sorry for being such a newb, init 3, just takes me to a blank screen which I can do nothing exept ctrl-alt-del, which causes init 6/reboot?!?!

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    Sorry for being such a newb, init 3, just takes me to a blank screen which I can do nothing exept ctrl-alt-del, which causes init 6/reboot?!?!

What am I missing?
    After you type the command, wait a few seconds - you should get a message that says starting anacron - then hit enter. It should bring you back to a command prompt.

Or hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F1 through to F6 will work) to take you to a terminal, and log in. The do what you need to do and restart X with inti 5. Then , when back in X, do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to take you back to that terminal and log out with "exit" and do Ctrl-Alt-F7 to take you back to X. If you don't go back and log out, you'll be left logged in as root and that is a potential security risk.

The X server normally runs on the terminal at Ctrl-Alt-F7 (1 to 6 are normally free).

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Or hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F1 through to F6 will work) to take you to a terminal, and log in. The do what you need to do and restart X with inti 5. Then , when back in X, do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to take you back to that terminal and log out with "exit" and do Ctrl-Alt-F7 to take you back to X. If you don't go back and log out, you'll be left logged in as root and that is a potential security risk.

The X server normally runs on the terminal at Ctrl-Alt-F7 (1 to 6 are normally free).

Ned
    Ok, think I got it, I did get some message about riva, or something, saying it won't work, but any way, I'm back in KDE, now have the option to bump up to 1280X1024, which I did, and does it look oh, so much better, how can I verify that I'm actually using the new driver?

Check you /var/log/Xorg.log.
    It should say its using the driver.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    Check you /var/log/Xorg.log.
    It should say its using the driver.
    Well, I'm not sure, there's a TON of stuff in there that says NVIDIA, but I think it is.

Yup, as long as there aren't any nvidiai errors (EE) you should be good to go.
    mkae sure glxgears fires up and your all set

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

Yup, as long as there aren't any nvidiai errors (EE) you should be good to go.
    mkae sure glxgears fires up and your all set
    hehe, well a blue and green and red gear started spinning in a window, I'm assuming that's it? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    hehe, well a blue and green and red gear started spinning in a window, I'm assuming that's it? LOL
    What fps did glxgears put out? For what video card?

Also, unless nvidia has changed things since the last time I installed their driver, the nvidia logo should display briefly when you restart the X server. Though I have seen a few CRTs that changed video mode slowly enough that the logo never appeared...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybgood

<rant>
    The op hit upon pet peeve of mine and that's the default use of dangerously unstable screensavers. In Windows the screensavers are ancient, tried, true and stable. The xscreensaver collection, on the other hand likes to showcase the latest 3D capabilities with new and exciting screensavers. Actualy, I really enjoy them.

They shouldn't be turned on by default, however, particularly on production machines. I don't enjoy walking into an office full of panicing people, because the file server choked on a screensaver. Even worse, I couldn't take them off, because gnome depends on them. That's a bad choice for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. To add more insult to injuries, I've had machines lock up while I've tried to turn the damn screensavers off, because the configuration page insists on displaying a small preview of the screensaver.

So - screensavers - enjoy them, but don't ever turn one on without asking.
    </rant>

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but there is one big question... Why is a file server even running a GUI in the first place? There are very few instances where a server should be outside of runlevel 3, and those are when it is rebooting.

At the same time, I agree with you on the screensavers being a little resource hungry. However, they are working alongside Gnome and/or KDE most of the time, so those are also resource hogs. That is okay for a desktop system where you can show off your nifty Nvidia card, but a server that comes with a 5 year old ATI passively cooled chip isnt going to be able to handle them. None of those have any real business on a server, let alone a file server. If you must have a GUI on a server, there is always the good 'ol "Blank Screen" screensaver .

OK, I'll admit it: </rant>

Now back to the thread...
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Quote Originally Posted by jpmoney
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but there is one big question... Why is a file server even running a GUI in the first place? There are very few instances where a server should be outside of runlevel 3, and those are when it is rebooting.
    I was hired, only partially, to "assist" the owner's daughter and son-in-law, neither of whom are comfortable at the command line. When I got there, the machine was left running with gui as root at all times. I'm still trying to convince the daughter that she can do all her backup routines and addition of samba users without ever logging in as root (use su or provide password to gui). The next step is to convince them that they don't even need to be at the machine except to pop in the tapes.

This is the way the world works and people who make "enterprise" software should consider that when they decide which services to include and turn on by default.

To be fair, the biggest problem has been bad raid drivers and hopefully we're past that.
    Testing - Please Ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    What fps did glxgears put out? For what video card?

Also, unless nvidia has changed things since the last time I installed their driver, the nvidia logo should display briefly when you restart the X server. Though I have seen a few CRTs that changed video mode slowly enough that the logo never appeared...
    You can turn that off in xorg.conf
    Under the device section:
    Option "NoLogo" "true"

You can turn that off in xorg.conf
    Under the device section:
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    I know you can, but I doubt that someone who has never installed nvidia's drivers before, would.

You mean people don't read the 100 page readme file that comes with the drivers?
    They'd know all sorts of cool things if they did

You mean people don't read the 100 page readme file that comes with the drivers?
    They'd know all sorts of cool things if they did
    I probably would if it came on paper.