Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: XServer - Stopping and Starting...How?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    [root@thebeast ~]# modprobe nvidia
    [root@thebeast ~]#
    Thats completely normal, afterwards does startx work? (assuming a fresh reboot, you didn't re-install the driver)

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

well, I'm not sure, I've pulled out C. Negus' bible, and through some quick reading I ran

rmmod rivafb

then edited the xorg.conf file, as per nvidia's instructions, now I'm about to do an init 3, then try startx, or init 5 again, although I have a feeling I'll be stuck in init 3 as before, and will have to reboot, which means I'll be back at square 1 again!!!!!!!!!!!

let you know in a sec.

well I have no /etc/rc.conf
    Just realized my mistake, add /sbin/modprobe nvidia to /etc/rc.local

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    Just realized my mistake, add /sbin/modprobe nvidia to /etc/rc.local
    ah, ok, will try that, and I'm assuming I should put rmmod rivafb, before that entry?

well I'm back, I did exactly what I said, init 3, logged in as root, typed startx, and here I am, although everything is wierd! It's like all my desktop settings have changed - doh! I know why, it thinks I'm root, and not my normal login!!!!!

well, glxgears is working again, now. So should I do another init 3, logout, and how to get back into gui? because ctrl-alt-F7 doesn't do anything?

I'm pretty sure you don't need to sweat rivafb, despite what the installer said.

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    I'm pretty sure you don't need to sweat rivafb, despite what the installer said.
    since she's working ok now, I'm reluctant to reboot, I did like you said and added that line to rc.local (there was only one line in there).

I still don't get the switching to init 3, loging out and hitting ctrl-alt-f7, what I get now is a blue screen saying I will now try to start the X Server, with an Ok.

Then underneath it says Sending all processes the Term signal, and just sits there.

I have to ctrl-alt-f1, login as root, and do init 5, to get back here! Which I'm assuming leaves tty1 logged in as root in the background which is a BAD thing.

I don't understand!!!!!!!!!!! oh the humanity, thank goodness for valium!
    Last edited by Jackal; 03-12-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Argggghhhhhhh frustration is setting in again, it shouldn't be this hard to install a fargin video driver!

It works fine until I reboot, then XServer cannot start, and I have to let it rebuild the xorg.conf file, and it says something about EE NVIDIA, blah, blah, blah!!!
    I sure wish that pcper notified me about responses more consistently. I hadn't realized that you had posted anything else concerning this until now. As far as I know (and remember) you should rmmod rivafb. Be sure Xorg.conf has 'driver nvidia' listed, along with 'load glx'. There may be another 'load' that needs to be done, I can't remember. Make sure 'load dri' as well as the entire 'dri' section is commented out. Ctl-alt-f1, login as root, init 5 is correct. Afterwards you can ctl-alt-f1 and logout - and then ctl-alt-f7 to return to X. This should all survive a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    I sure wish that pcper notified me about responses more consistently. I hadn't realized that you had posted anything else concerning this until now. As far as I know (and remember) you should rmmod rivafb. Be sure Xorg.conf has 'driver nvidia' listed, along with 'load glx'. There may be another 'load' that needs to be done, I can't remember. Make sure 'load dri' as well as the entire 'dri' section is commented out. Ctl-alt-f1, login as root, init 5 is correct. Afterwards you can ctl-alt-f1 and logout - and then ctl-alt-f7 to return to X. This should all survive a reboot.
    everything but the ctrl-alt-F7, doesn't return me to gui session - see above.

Nope, sorry to report, reboot, is same issue, cannot start XServer, have to run config program, back to square 1, no glxgears.

this is crazy!

everything but the ctrl-alt-F7, doesn't return me to gui session - see above.
    Can we just confirm that your X session is actually running on Ctl-Alt-F7?

When in X/gui, hit Ctl-Alt-F1 which should take you to a text login screen - don't do anything, just hit Ctl-Alt-F7 and see if it takes you back to your gui.

On my system at least, there are 6 text terminal sessions available on F1 - F6, and the X server/gui is running on F7. You can seemlessly switch between any of them at any time simply by hitting the appropriate Ctl-Alt-F key keystroke.

Ned

Post a little information about your system, etc.

I say try this tutorial: http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3506#nVidia
    It covers just about measures to prevent problems on reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Can we just confirm that your X session is actually running on Ctl-Alt-F7?

When in X/gui, hit Ctl-Alt-F1 which should take you to a text login screen - don't do anything, just hit Ctl-Alt-F7 and see if it takes you back to your gui.

On my system at least, there are 6 text terminal sessions available on F1 - F6, and the X server/gui is running on F7. You can seemlessly switch between any of them at any time simply by hitting the appropriate Ctl-Alt-F key keystroke.

Ned
    Hi Ned, I'm sure most of my problem is ignorance (true meaning of the word), right now, yes I can hit ctrl-alt-F1, and it takes me to a login prompt, hit ctrl-alt-F7 and I'm back in the GUI, but there are times that it doesn't do anything, as I've stated in the above posts in the thread, also "right now", nvidia driver is working glxgears works, etc.....

But if I reboot, the gui never comes up, and it says I need to run the xorg config to create a new xorg.conf file, which I do, then it boots into gui. Then I have to go to a console, su - to root, type modprobe nvidia, cd to etc/X11, vi the xorg.conf file, change the driver name from nv to nvidia, comment out the line Load dri, then ctrl-alt-f1, login as root, type init 5, now i'm back in gui, as root though, logout, log back in as regular user, ctrl-alt-f1, logout, ctrl-alt-f7, log, and I'm back to where I am now, with glxgears working, etc.....

so why does it not just save my settings, and boot the nvidia driver?

There are several more edits necessary in the xorg.conf file. Are you making those or not?

Edit: as far as it saving your settings, every time you run the xorg config program, it is going to totally bork any changes you have previously made to xorg.conf.

Ok, thank you all, it's getting closer, I had made a mistake in my last edit of the xorg.conf file, now that it's corrected a reboot and all is ok, glxgears is working, although my "graphical boot" it is not, but I really don't care about that. Yes, this "book" readme file from nvidia says there are tons more edits to make.