View Poll Results: War wit China over Taiwan?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

7 53.85%

War with China over taiwan?

yes ? no?

Sorry, typo and drunk, heheh.

I stil want to know.(Spooky, aint it?)
    Last edited by kanigo2; 03-16-2005 at 12:02 AM.
    Your system specs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you want a picture of the future - just imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever."-George Orwell

Re: War with China over taiwan?

What do you mean? Are you asking if we think there will be a war, if we want there to be a war, or what?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

We can't go to war with China because of Chinese Walmart. Target would dominate the @$$crackistan import trade and force everyone to love even lower quality products. Scrape the bottom of the barrel until we're wearing them. Then the target signs would be so big, America-haters could aim their nuclear missiles easier. Armageddon.

I want a Chinese, whoa-oh, r-radio.

...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

China won't start a war with Taiwan knowing it will **** their economy due to the ass whooping their navy and airforce will receive by our carrier battle groups in the region. Plus our tactical strikes on their bases from our very stealthy aircraft.

Perhaps it would be a great situation to bust out our new and exciting technology thats been flying around for years but we have no idea about it.

Remember... the F-117 flew for 20 years before we knew it existed.

Remember... the F-117 flew for 20 years before we knew it existed.
    To nitpick, it was only around ten years. Their first use came in Panama, while Iraq Round I saw their first real use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-117_Nighthawk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Blue
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Regardless.... i'm sure we have some pretty cool sh*t flying around right now that we have no idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB
    Regardless.... i'm sure we have some pretty cool sh*t flying around right now that we have no idea about.
    The Raptors, but we al know of their existence.

I think there will be a war but the US will not fight. One essential that is required to fight a war is public support. The American populace has the mentality that you only fight a war if we are directly attacked on our soil, that the war will be over in three days, and there will only be seven US casualties four of which were due to a traffic accident. Secondly the American people have no staying power, a societal form of ED, when it comes to military matters. Militaries and their toys are expensive and to win a war you must have ground troops and they must stay for a long time. Americans do not want to foot the bill, remember the War Bond drives of the Second World War? I have not seen too many war bond drives lately and our government is saddled with too many programs to afford war with China. I honestly do not think the US would fight let alone win another WWII with the civilians we have nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB
    I still want to know about Project Aurora.

Yes,

The US should go to war with China... It will be a good lesson in ass kicking (the US will have it's ass kicked)... no matter what the outcome... the US will be fuuked, cause they will have wasted so much money on another pointless war.

I think it would be a good, if not expensive lesson.... as long as nobody goes Nuclear!

There will be a war as soon as China feels like they are strong enough to take us on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaji
    Yes,

The US should go to war with China... It will be a good lesson in ass kicking (the US will have it's ass kicked)... no matter what the outcome... the US will be fuuked, cause they will have wasted so much money on another pointless war.

I think it would be a good, if not expensive lesson.... as long as nobody goes Nuclear!
    The US has never lost a major military conflict. Although not a loss, it stalemated in Korea but this was more political and Vietnam was a political fiasco with the US withdrawing and the South Vietnamese losing. If China would invade Taiwan they will need massive amounts of landing craft or prepositioned troops already in Taiwan similar to Spetznaz forces in Western Europe during the Soviet Union era. China is carefully biding her time, she is not ready to attack because the Chinese navy although rapidly growing does not have the surface craft and their economy is needed for hard currency to support its military. If China takes Taiwan you will see a major embargo on Chinese goods. China has already threatened to use nukes against the US, specifically Los Angeles if we get involved but the US is not stupid enough to send ground troops to mainland China. If any ground troops are used it would on Taiwan but mostly US naval and air forces will be picking off Chinese Navy vessels as fast as they build them. The US will not be the only country concerned if Taiwan is taken over. Believe it or not but if Taiwan is attacked look for Japan to amend her constitution and go nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve
    The US has never lost a major military conflict. Although not a loss, it stalemated in Korea but this was more political and Vietnam was a political fiasco with the US withdrawing and the South Vietnamese losing.
    That is one way of putting a positive spin on US military failure!

If China would invade Taiwan they will need massive amounts of landing craft or prepositioned troops already in Taiwan
    The logistics are what does China in. Steve is right, unless they plan on simply firing missiles into Taiwan and levelling the country, they need to get their troops there. This means lots of assault craft, surface and sub-surface support, as well as air cover.

This will be the difficulty in taking Taiwan, with the presence of US naval power, since the US can leave its carrier battles groups out of range of Chinese weapons, using aircraft and cruise missiles to sink the Chinese navy.

Now, the REAL threat is whether China in this situation, responds with "desparate" tactics, like sending waves of aircraft on suicide missions against US carriers, or worse still, use tactical nukes against the battle groups.

I am sure that the heat plumes of Chinese vessels are routinely monitored, so a "sneak" attack by sea would be difficult. Now, using airborne troops to parachute into Taiwan, but again, it would seem they are logistically limited, since the number of aircraft required would be large (and easily detected), and you still have to deal with an effective, if small, Taiwanese military.

I would be very surprised if China does anything. If they do, I don't the US will get involved.

China has already threatened to use nukes against the US, specifically Los Angeles.
    Sabre rattling. I doubt China has the accuracy to hit any specific city. And use of a nuke on this level would most likely result in catastrophic destruction, either militarily or economically for China. Thus, sabre rattling.

Happy St Patricks day everyone and all.

I let this one sit for a while because I wanted to see the responses.

We all know a number of things, If you disagree say so.

#1 A war with China, will happen.

#2 Tiawan , we have sworn to protect.The war may not happen here.

#3 China is in a poor position, to -----shall way say ------ grow, and has a poor position in the region, to do so, expecially in this situation. No-one trusts them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say that the forum poll is correct we are sitting at a somewhat more powerful position and china cannot afford to follow through with attacking taiwan.

I have noticed that in the last 5 years, the media, the goverment do continue to point out that the fear over china attacking taiwan, seems to be the main concern.

What if they attacked elsewhere?

I guess that is for another day.
    Your system specs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you want a picture of the future - just imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever."-George Orwell

If the Chinese wanted Taiwan, they'll get it. Why? Because we're a democracy, and China is not.

Plus, go to the store, and see how many products are "MADE IN CHINA."

Consumers will rebel when the price of all goods gets jacked up about 300%+, and voila, China wins.