View Poll Results: Should the Congress pass special legislation in an effort to restore the feeding tube

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 21.05%
  • No

45 78.95%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Should Congress pass special legislation in the Schiavo right-to-die case?

Under law likely, but I would have the greatest respect for him.
    Well I guess what's what this new "conservativism" is all about, isn't it?

I bet you can't wait.
    Only if I get little chocolate dolls to celebrate.

Again according to whom? Her husband and a few family members of the husband?

What about the wishes of those aborted, do we wait until they can have one until we can kill them? Or we just take the word of society that being raised (under whatever circumstances) wouldn't be a good life. And that in itself is yet another question, when exactly is a "life" worth to be killed (other than extreme crime), your opinion?
    Her husband is guardian, meaning his word is the be-all, end-all. Or would you rather have the omniscient state in charge of everyone's lives?

All those who favour this, tell me what you think of this.
    Tell me what you think of war or the death penalty. I thought we were supposed to "err on the side of life", right?

(Sorry if any argument is repeated, as I've been busy and not able to browse here often lately.)
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefner
    That's just been turned down by a non-activist judge! I hear about the only alternative that might be left is if Jeb wants to step in and take control under some kind of assume authority, big gamble on his part.

Wouldn't it be something if she passed away on Easter. I'm sure the conservatives would see this as some kind of sign.
    ^^No. A judge has said no, Judge Greer to be exact. His decision will be examined in appeals court. There is a question if he infact can forbid the State to take custody of her.
    I dont believe he can.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-23-2005 at 06:39 PM.

You know what bothers me about this, is they're turning it into a circus.

The hastily considered and defeated bill in Florida would have prohibited removal of life support without the patient's wishes for this in writing.

It seems the Republican party is trying to take a profound issue and use the emotional impact to influence law.

Quote Originally Posted by George W. Bush
    "This is an extraordinary and sad case and I believe that in a case such as this, the legislative branch, the executive branch, ought to err on the side of life, which we have," President Bush told reporters when asked about the issue on Wednesday. "Now we watch the courts make their decisions."
    You know, I'll agree it is an extraordinary and sad case. But his remark about watching the court make decisions? They haven't paid much attention to any court decisions so far! I get the impression that they'll watch decisions until they get the decision they want. Until then, they'll attempt to pass more legislation, or perhaps very soon take executive action.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

^^Yeah. Way too much 11th hour stuff. Cant say how literally what Bush said can be taken. But it looks like the end of the road after Supreme Court / Florida DCF moves are over. Like William Buckley wrote this morning:"Enough"

I guess the two lessons I take from all this are

Get living will info up to date and very specific
    How far we have come, as a society, in perfecting the legal system that allows us to do bad things under the cover of some imagined "right".

IMO
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-23-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-24-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    No comment from the court?

You mean they don't want everyone to know that France and Germany think they should reject hearing the appeal? Afterr all it is right to take into account international opinion. I imagine there were a few long distance/international phone calls while making that decision

*cough*
    (heh, the SC lost a lot of it's legitimacy with me with their opinion of the court in the execution of minors ruling, I had to take a jab at them)
    Last edited by clement; 03-24-2005 at 12:41 PM.

"It appears every legal option has just been exhausted," the Rev. Patrick Mahoney, spokesman for the Schindlers, said after Thursday's Supreme Court decision. "Gov. Bush is now the only practical hope here for Terri Schiavo. We plead with Gov. Bush."
    What could the Governor do now?
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Order DCF to remove her to a hospital.

Would that be legal? Would they be required to follow orders?
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Legal? Probably not. He missed a 3 hour window this morning...before Greer countered.

President Andrew Jackson is supposed to have said of a Supreme Court ruling he opposed: "Well, John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it." The court's ruling was ignored.

The lawyer for the husband calls it kidnapping if Bush actually does the action....but I think thats sorta a sensational description. Well know pretty quick as Greer is ready to announce his decision on the matter.
    And yes...as the chief executive of the state he "can" order the action.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-24-2005 at 01:34 PM.

I suppose he can order practically anything but if it is illegal and goes against a court order wouldn't they (DCF) face serious charges themselves???

Check this out;
    Bush Role In Schiavo case bothers Right
    Last edited by DHutson; 03-24-2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Sure. I get that. At the same time I cant look away from the issue of abortion and death penalties where the same federal intrusion was fine. To alot of republicans the democrats new view of federalism is sorta phoney. Like suddenly they are pro states rights.
    Presedential involvement? Dodnt Clinton get pretty heavy about that kid deported to Cuba years ago?

"Bill Clinton sent armed agents from the INS to seize a small boy from an American family despite rulings by the majestic and infallible Florida courts granting custody of the boy to that very family."
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-24-2005 at 02:08 PM.

About Jeb Bush's 11th hour neurologist:

The neurologist, William Cheshire of the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, is a bioethicist who is also an active member in Christian organizations, including two whose leaders have spoken out against the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube.

PQ5-EM/E7200 Intel/Bios .0204 9.5x 345mhz @3.3Ghz
    PC6400 Corsair 2GB, Stock HSF
    Cooler Master 201, Enermax 495AX-VE
    200GB Hitachi SATA, 120 GB WD
    BenQ DW1620 DVDr

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Sure. I get that. At the same time I cant look away from the issue of abortion and death penalties where the same federal intrusion was fine. To alot of republicans the democrats new view of federalism is sorta phoney. Like suddenly they are pro states rights.
    Presedential involvement? Dodnt Clinton get pretty heavy about that kid deported to Cuba years ago?
    Elien Gonzales? Yes he did and look how well that worked out for Gore.

IMO if the Republicans did intend to use this for politics (as in "the memo") I don't think the Democrats will suffer. It seems more like an internal GOP thing.

My personal belief is that it was appropriate to give the case one more review. It is sad that if we find Michael Schiavo as such a phoney to the point that we are willing to let his rights as a husband get trampled.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

^^^For me what it gets to? Wouldnt a reasonable man want or even insist on a court ordered double check on his decisions? I sure wouldnt want to make life or death decisions if I felt maybe my position were in doubt.[possible contridiction or conflict of interest]...even if it were only a perception. I wouldnt want the slightest rumor that my involvement might be biased.

EDIT: End of the legal road so far as I know

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151347,00.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-24-2005 at 02:34 PM.