View Poll Results: Should the Congress pass special legislation in an effort to restore the feeding tube

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 21.05%
  • No

45 78.95%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Should Congress pass special legislation in the Schiavo right-to-die case?

OR

He might be a man who is following through on his wife's wishes. Faulting someone for moving on with his life after his wife has had such brain damage that she is no longer there is cruel. She has been in a vegetative state for a long time. She basically is gone. If kept alive by artificial means she could very well 'live' to be 100. Should the guy never have any relationship again and never get to have kids? It's a little holier than thou to pretend that you're walking in these guys shoes.

Nuke,

Posting in those comic pictures doens't further the debate. That is what I was referring to. To add, I didn't realize you had such high expectations of me

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    Well I guess what's what this new "conservativism" is all about, isn't it?
    Conservatism? What does saving a life have to do with conservatism?

Only if I get little chocolate dolls to celebrate.
    Your a sick , perhaps you should "enjoy" watching one of your children waste away "painlessly", it might actually do you some good. (well, not really, just a point)

Her husband is guardian, meaning his word is the be-all, end-all. Or would you rather have the omniscient state in charge of everyone's lives?
    Her husband had a different take after she was found face down on the floor, it wasn't until he had shacked up with another and had child before he suddenly remembered her wishes, everyone here is talking as if this has been happening for 15 yrs., it HAS NOT, the first time M Schaivo was in court was to recover damages, and the judge there set aside monies for her rehabilitation, too which he nary tried, you don't put someone in a Hospice to recover or rehabilitate, now do you? The actual court trials to to stop the husband from killing this woman started in 1998.

Tell me what you think of war or the death penalty. I thought we were supposed to "err on the side of life", right?
    You know hwat I think, the comparison is pathetic, your saying if your unable to defend yourself you should be killed? The death penalty kills thouse who kill, in war your enemy can fight back and even win.

(Sorry if any argument is repeated, as I've been busy and not able to browse here often lately.)
    Hey, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    What rights? The right to decide if his wife should live or die? Shoot, no wonder OJ and Robert Blake got off scott free. In America, it is open season on the wife, since that is the "husband's right". I suppose that is in the constitution too?
    I think maybe you are exagerating. If she actually did tell her husband that she would not want to live like this, than I would hope he would try & fullfill her wish.

Personally I have a hard time with the whole thing. If it were me I believe I would rather be "let go" than live in that condition. Does she even know what condition she is in?
    Yet, since it isn't me personally my reaction is to want to protect her life. Is that compassion or selfishness or what?
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Now the right-to-lifers are demanding Gov. Jeb Bush to step in or all hell will be paid .... I think that's so funny .... this thing may be played out for weeks. I hope he steps in and they impeach his a*s.

PQ5-EM/E7200 Intel/Bios .0204 9.5x 345mhz @3.3Ghz
    PC6400 Corsair 2GB, Stock HSF
    Cooler Master 201, Enermax 495AX-VE
    200GB Hitachi SATA, 120 GB WD
    BenQ DW1620 DVDr

Quote Originally Posted by Hefner
    Now the right-to-lifers are demanding Gov. Jeb Bush to step in or all hell will be paid .... I think that's so funny .... this thing may be played out for weeks. I hope he steps in and they impeach his a*s.
    Yes, a "win" for the Democrats at all costs - couldn't do it in the elections, so let's kill a defenseless woman then celebrate the victory, it's a joyous event.

Quote Originally Posted by DHutson
    I think maybe you are exagerating. If she actually did tell her husband that she would not want to live like this, than I would hope he would try & fullfill her wish.

Personally I have a hard time with the whole thing. If it were me I believe I would rather be "let go" than live in that condition. Does she even know what condition she is in?
    Yet, since it isn't me personally my reaction is to want to protect her life. Is that compassion or selfishness or what?
    There is no evidence she wanted to die. No living will, and just the word of a man who is reported to have said, in regards to Terri, "When is that bitch gonna die"?

Yup, REAL strong case for euthanasia there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1
    :so let's kill a defenseless woman
    80% of Americans seem to disagree with you. This is according to two seperate polls I've seen, that believe this is what she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke
    :here is no evidence she wanted to die.
    15 Judges and 2 Supreme Courts seem to disgree with you. Keep ignoring the facts.

BenQ DW1620 DVDr

Quote Originally Posted by Hefner
    80% of Americans seem to disagree with you. This is according to two seperate polls I've seen, that believe this is what she wanted.
    We talked about polls in the past, however, I'm more than willing to change my position now; So long as we (The USA) say screw, and let people starve all over the world, we shouldn't give a red cent to feeding ANYONE - afterall it's a far better fate than what they would've faced, and it's the "humane" way to die, ie no remorse.

15 Judges and 2 Supreme Courts seem to disgree with you. Keep ignoring the facts.
    NO, you keep ignoring the facts, one judge made a decision the rest just upheld it, ie like the judge originally taking M Schaivo's word on the matter - several years AFTER the fact, and let's not forget some of the record is still sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1
    Conservatism? What does saving a life have to do with conservatism?
    I was referring to the usurpation of powers by an increasingly authoritarian political group once known for championing conservative (i.e. small, unintrusive) government.

Your a sick , perhaps you should "enjoy" watching one of your children waste away "painlessly", it might actually do you some good. (well, not really, just a point)
    I am sorry and apologize for my earlier statement. The chocolate dolls should have creme filled heads.

Her husband had a different take after she was found face down on the floor, it wasn't until he had shacked up with another and had child before he suddenly remembered her wishes, everyone here is talking as if this has been happening for 15 yrs., it HAS NOT, the first time M Schaivo was in court was to recover damages, and the judge there set aside monies for her rehabilitation, too which he nary tried, you don't put someone in a Hospice to recover or rehabilitate, now do you? The actual court trials to to stop the husband from killing this woman started in 1998.
    He attempted to revive her for several years, in several locations with several doctors and several techniques. His personal life is another matter, as I won't begrudge him wanting to move on and reclaim himself. I would imagine he came to the realization that she was never coming back, with her brain having become little more than a mass of goo, almost wholly unfunctioning, and only her brain stem still in control of things. That's not living, and it barely qualifies as human. Her appearance and genetic structure are human, yes, and at one time she was, but the person is gone and will never return. Even if we could build her new neural material, she would not be Terri Schiavo. Memories make us who we are, memories stored and processed in the cerebral cortex, which has dissolved into nothingness in this woman.

You know hwat I think, the comparison is pathetic, your saying if your unable to defend yourself you should be killed? The death penalty kills thouse who kill, in war your enemy can fight back and even win.
    I thought we were supposed to "err on the side of life", right? Many people condemned to death are not guilty, and those killed in war may be completely innocent. Yet you don't object to either one, do you?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Here we go. From Florida Court records. This is most of what Judge Greer used as a basis:

"Scott Schiavo testified that after the 1988 funeral for his grandmother, who was briefly kept alive on artificial life support, a clutch of relatives sat around a luncheon table in Langhorne, Pa., talking about the way she had died. "And Terri made mention ... that, 'If I ever go like that, just let me go. Don't leave me there. I don't want to be kept alive on a machine.' "

Would someone explain to me exactly what sort of "machine" a feeding tube is? If true, it seems to me Terry was rather specific about what she didnt want. No matter how many times I read it? I dont see feeding tube mentioned.
    Do you?

Well we now know it's not just his word, since relatives were there and I assume backed it up. I would call a feeding tube a machine. Do you really think if she made that statement that should would want to live like she is now?

BenQ DW1620 DVDr

^^^to wring feeding tube out of those words is quite a leap. I suppose while were rewriting the meanings of words we could assume a pacemaker or artificial limb would qualify.

Its a real stretch for a Judge to make.

My point is that even if she had her grandma in mind with respirator life support and she made that statement I have little doubt that she would want to live like she is now. Just look at our in house poll 23-3 said "pull the tube". People usually want to stay alive this way due to religious reasons, obviously that doesn't apply to her.

BenQ DW1620 DVDr

Starvation, as already said, is torture, but it seems to me most people for Terri continuing to live also disagree with euthanizing her, which would be a humane way to let her die in dignity. Let's face it, there is only enough brain activity to support her vitals. Meanwhile, she lies around like a lump trying to understand her surroundings but she's wasted. She's already dead. And, if she was being poorly taken care of like some claim she wouldn't have been 99% brain dead for the past 15 years without suffering one single bed-sore.

Sure, nobody knows what it's like for her, but you know, she can't possibly be living any kind of life like this. Furthermore, it's borderline stupidity to think there is any possible "further recovery" after this long. It's not a "coma", she's 99% dead and has no say either way.
    It would seem to be reasonable that she be allowed to die, but without suffering. There should be special legislation. They should start considering human euthanization because starvation is cruel, but she has the right to die, also.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Here we go. From Florida Court records. This is most of what Judge Greer used as a basis:

"Scott Schiavo testified that after the 1988 funeral for his grandmother, who was briefly kept alive on artificial life support, a clutch of relatives sat around a luncheon table in Langhorne, Pa., talking about the way she had died. "And Terri made mention ... that, 'If I ever go like that, just let me go. Don't leave me there. I don't want to be kept alive on a machine.' "

Would someone explain to me exactly what sort of "machine" a feeding tube is? If true, it seems to me Terry was rather specific about what she didnt want. No matter how many times I read it? I dont see feeding tube mentioned.
    Do you?
    In that context it makes perfect sense but if you want to completely remove the frame of reference then yes they're a world apart.

I'm sure if you'd asked her in the moment she would have said no to being on a respirator but an enthusiastic "OH HELL YEAH!" for a feeding tube, right? I've made similar statements about being "let go" should I become like Terry and whether the wording specified EXACTLY what the conditions were for my passing I think it's understood that that isn't the existence I want to live. I think you can connect the dots on that one without getting all sensational about pacemakers and such.
    Last edited by Snowball 2; 03-25-2005 at 02:35 AM.